Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Smoke
    .....The result, is a number of false positives, including Lagat and Marion, and a brutal pr hit to the sport of track and field.....
    Dick Pound takes the hit on Lagat because the Kenyan Federation went public early? Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      .....The result, is a number of false positives, including Lagat and Marion, and a brutal pr hit to the sport of track and field.....
      Dick Pound takes the hit on Lagat because the Kenyan Federation went public early? Huh?
      He's the fall guy for everything now, actually has been for a while. The beauty is that he does not give a damn. I read an article on him a while back, if I remember correctly he has about three full time jobs. One was chancellor of McGill. You don't get that kind of job without being respected and productive.

Comment

Originally posted by unclezadok
        Originally posted by gh
        I see no problem: the guy is the best thing that ever happened to WADA. He gave it balls (and teeth).
        They said the same thing when Hitler took over Germany.

I thought that this thread died a quiet death on TNT&F after my first post. Far from it. Isn't there a rule that says the Nazis will eventually be brought up if a thread goes on long enough?

Comment

I beleve the "rule" says the thread dies once somebody is compared to Hitler. Have any of you over-the-toppers done that yet?

(I say over the top because Pound is getting more vitriol here than OJ is on his thread!)

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
            Originally posted by unclezadok
            Originally posted by gh
            I see no problem: the guy is the best thing that ever happened to WADA. He gave it balls (and teeth).
            They said the same thing when Hitler took over Germany.

. Isn't there a rule that says the Nazis will eventually be brought up if a thread goes on long enough?
            Not a rule but a reality. I once saw a thread on Barney (the purple dino) go Hitler in under 10 posts!
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Some may remember the Mount St Helen effect. It got blamed for everything for years. Maybe much of the criticism directed at Pound is based on actual events but it would be nice if statements about leaks and condoning of same were backed up with facts and specifics. And how do we know what he is doing in the background to stop the leaks? If he made public what he was doing, people might respect him more. BUT HE DOESN'T CARE. I have been in his position at work. It is a lot easier to get good things accomplished that you believe in if you couldn't care less what people think of you.

Comment

WADA is a fringe organization to the big sports and Pound tried to bully his way in, he failed actually. WADA is not feared or powerful but more of an annoyance to the big three (or 2).
                Without Pound they would not even be an annoyance. Unfortunately you have to be over-the-top to get noticed in the glamor world of the top three. Look at how much press Terrell Owens gets! Vick, Artest (sp?) Leaf etc. I think Pound knows there is only one way to get their attention.

As far as I can tell Pound is getting his message out. WADA might well be more effective but is that his short term goal? Until people listen to and accept the message, WADA cannot function effectively anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                  And how do we know what he is doing in the background to stop the leaks?
                  Whatever it is it has not been highly effective . . .

Comment

Maybe it's highly effective. There's no baseline to compare it against.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      I beleve the "rule" says the thread dies once somebody is compared to Hitler. Have any of you over-the-toppers done that yet?

(I say over the top because Pound is getting more vitriol here than OJ is on his thread!)
                      (from another thread, which I'm to lazy to look up)
                      Godwin's Law: once a poster uses a Hitler or Nazi allusion to 'prove' his point, all rational discussion has ended and the thread is effectively over.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        If it was highly effective there would be no leaks . . .

Comment

No, that would be perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                            Godwin's Law: once a poster uses a Hitler or Nazi allusion to 'prove' his point, all rational discussion has ended and the thread is effectively over.
                            Well apparently the law has been broken here. Maybe it should be downgraded to a hypothesis?

But backto the discussion. Let's not forget that the grand jury leaks too. And that is supposed to be perfect. So what hope does WADA lab have of protecting the information, especially since the newspapers probably pay well for that information?

Come to think of it, why aren't these tests all done on a triple blind basis. Then all anyone would know would be that there had been a positive test, including Pound. And if the labs are working blind it is clearly not the labs leaking the information. As someone mentioned above the Lagat leak had nothing to do with WADA. How many other examples like that where everyone assumes the lab is at fault?

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                              Originally posted by gh
                              Has your business achieved perfection? Mine sure hasn't. I make mistakes on a regular basis and I am pretty darn good(read highly effective) overall at what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                                Originally posted by gh
                                A problem you:re facing is that you are not able to prove from where the 2006 leak originated. The athlete:s legal team was not so subtle in divulging their hypothesis. I suppose Pound oversees USATF as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X