Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got a laptop

From Dell. But the thing locks up on me from time to time. Screen goes blank except for a small white box. Nothing will "unlock" the computer except for re-booting it. Should I send it back?

Call them first.

Comment

Trade it in on a Mac :-) :-)

Comment

Re: Finally got a laptop

Originally posted by BillVol
        From Dell. But the thing locks up on me from time to time. Screen goes blank except for a small white box. Nothing will "unlock" the computer except for re-booting it.
        Mine crashes from time to time. In the middle of whatever I'm doing, I get a full screen of text consisting of one long, scary error message, the last paragraph of which begins something like "starting to dump memory." The ONLY way I can get rid of this screen is to unplug the laptop and remove the battery. Then I can re-boot it, and then it's fine.

The error drill they put you through after the crash suggests that some software on the computer has caused the incident, but I don't recall ever downloading any software to the computer--I think the only software it has is what it Dell shipped it with. I suppose I could send it back, but I don't know if it's worth the bother.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Trade it in on a Mac :-) :-)

Kind of related. I was desperate for a keyboard when I was on holidays once because I can't stand using a laptop keyboard. Only one available where I was was a Mac keyboard which is basically the same except the alt button is over one spot. Trouble is that, every once and a while, I will be typing a message and somehow I will cause some symbol or letter to repeat itself as if I am holding it down. If I don't quickly shut the entire computer down, I lose messages, saved bookmarks, etc. No clue what is going on and my techies are baffled.

Comment

From Dell. But the thing locks up on me from time to time. Screen goes blank except for a small white box. Nothing will "unlock" the computer except for re-booting it. Should I send it back?
            Dell computers are developing a very bad reputation.

I bought a Dell laptop a few years back, and it never really did work right. It took forever to boot up, and there were numerous system-related errors. We also received a "bad batch" of Dell machines on campus within the past year.

I agree that Mac is probably the way to go: the hardware is much more reliable, and the operating system is very stable and always boots within about 10 seconds or less (Linux kernel, that's why!). With applications like BootCamp, you are free to run Windows as well. So, you can't really go wrong.

Comment

I'm on my second Dell laptop and have not had a problem with either one. If I was BillVol I'd push for a replacement - out of the box laptops of any brand should not be doing that.

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
                ....Dell computers are developing a very bad reputation......
                Actually, the computer column in my local paper said that same thing the other day (a column that won't even address Mac questions, so I'm off my usual horse in this instance!). The quality control they used to be known for has apparently evaporated.

Comment

Working...
                X