Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best book about a coach?

One of my assignments this fall is to write a review on a book about a coach.

Suggestions?

Track coach, or ANY?

Comment

Without waiting for your answer, and without actually having read the book itself (just snippets), I can't imagine you can do better than Kenny Moore's The Men Of Oregon.

Comment

Champions for Life
        A biography of Payton Jordan by Jack Scott and Jim Ward

Comment

ever the homer

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            ever the homer
            ops: . . . it's still good!

Comment

Great (out of print?) biography on Percy Cerruty.
              Couple on Arthur Lydiard that are half bio/half training guides.
              Many great ones on John Wooden.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                Originally posted by gh
                ever the homer
                ops: . . . it's still good!
                Only if they fixed all the bad stats that were in the early drafts.

Comment

When Pride Still Mattered by David Maraniss - out about 3 years ago, a bio on Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Track coach, or ANY?
                    Well any coach, but I would prefer track/XC as I figure that would be of more interest to me.

Or gymnastics. Not that any of you would know any good books on gymnastics coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                      Not that any of you would know any good books on gymnastics coaches.
                      Ya got me there, but Mr. Google do!

Feel No Fear: The Power, Passion, and Politics of a Life in Gymnastics by Bela Karolyi and Nancy Ann Richardson (Paperback - Jul 1996)

Comment

Or gymnastics. Not that any of you would know any good books on gymnastics coaches.
                        Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters - Joan Ryan is an interesting read.

cman

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                          Little Girls in Pretty Boxes: The Making and Breaking of Elite Gymnasts and Figure Skaters - Joan Ryan is an interesting read.

cman
                          I think I own that, I know I have read it. It's not really about any one coach though, more about the system, and I don't think it would fit with what my teacher wants.

It is an interesting read, but it's kind of like reading a book that accuses everyone in track of doping.

Comment

There are two books that I know of that are more specifically on gymnastics coaching or coaches. One is How To Create Champions: Theory and Methodology yadda, yadda, something or other by the great Russian coach, Leonid Arkaev...and it's in English. I've read a couple of pages and it's quite technical and waaay over my head.

edit: How To Create Champions - Leonid Arkaev

Another is Gymnastics co-written by Peter Vidmar and Karen Cogan. It more for kids but it deals with the mental side of the sport.

edit: Gymnastic (Sports Psychology Library) Karen D. Cogan, Peter Vidmar

One of my ex's was a former elite junior gymnast and the sport still intrigues me.

cman

Comment

This is all making me wish there were more hours in the day and that I had the time and energy to get into coaching gymnastics. I have to remember that I have the rest of my life to get back into that world if I find the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X