Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The War

I musta misjudged the demographic/interests of our membership (on several levels). Nobody thinks the new Ken Burns epic is worth posting about?

Just watched the first 2.5-hour episode. aka 150 minutes of reaching for the kleenex box with admiration for what those guys went through. Remind me not to kvetch about something like $3.00 gas again.

Although I must admit one of my favorite moments was cackling at the description of the requirements for the first draft, instituted post-Pearl Harbor. You had to be 5-feet tall, weigh at least 105 pounds, have correctable vision and at least half your teeth! Ability to read and write not required. At least 5 million were rejected for failing the basic verbal test, which included giving the wrong answer to the question, "Do you like girls?"

My overall reaction at the end of the first installment was that the draft did more to bring about racial equality/ethnic tolerance than anything else the country has ever seen, and for that aspect alone, I'm sad to see it gone.

This has been pretty compelling viewing. Many other shows have covered the subject, but the little tidbits of personal insight make it very worthwhile.

What incredible sacrifices our fathers and grandfathers and mothers and grandmothers made. Very moving, indeed.

Comment

Terrific! No breastbeating, no glorification. Just the nightmarish reality of war.

Beautiful, lyrical writing in the newspaper in Luverne?, Minnesota that Tom Hanks reads from.

Comment

Re: The War

Originally posted by gh
        Just watched the first 2.5-hour episode. aka 150 minutes of reaching for the kleenex box with admiration for what those guys went through. Remind me not to kvetch about something like $3.00 gas again.
        Dont get PBS but would love to see it. Probably buy the dvd's. Someone said recently that alot of kids in the U.S.A. complain that life isnt fair. And its not, they have it better than 99.9 % of kids of have ever lived. :roll:
        phsstt!

Comment

SF Chron is running a series of stories related to the shows. This from a story about the Tokyo Raid

<<Twenty of the Doolittle Raiders did not survive World War II. Only eight of the 80 flyers who took off that April morning in 1942 are still alive.

There are 80 silver goblets on display at the Air Force Academy in Colorado, one for each Doolittle Raider. When one dies, his goblet is turned upside down. The last two survivors are pledged to open a special bottle of cognac and toast their comrades.

The cognac is vintage 1896, the year Doolittle was born.>>

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            Dont get PBS . . .
            Dude, what kind of backwater no-cable-no-dish world are you living in???

Great shows, and a great reason to have a TiVo. Way too much stuff to keep up with daily, but not to be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
              Dont get PBS . . .
              Dude, what kind of backwater no-cable-no-dish world are you living in???

Great shows, and a great reason to have a TiVo. Way too much stuff to keep up with daily, but not to be missed.
              My package is a gift and i cant order new stuff unless its pay per view because my name is not on the bill and i dont get showtime EITHER!!!! no DEXTER!
              phsstt!

Comment

My package is a gift and i cant order new stuff unless its pay per view because my name is not on the bill and i dont get showtime EITHER!!!! no DEXTER!
                My apologies - I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that PBS was part of just about every basic (no added cost) cable or dish system out there.

Comment

Great stuff. Have not missed a minute.

Comment

The factoid I liked so far is that US automobile production went from (and I am now making up these numbers 'cause I don't remember the actual figures, but you get the point) a million cars a year to 169 total from 1942-1945. My question is - who got those 169 cars??

Comment

My apologies - I was under the (apparently mistaken) impression that PBS was part of just about every basic (no added cost) cable or dish system out there.
                      Me too, is the assumption that you can pick it up for free on the airwaves, so they don't add it to the package?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                        Me too, is the assumption that you can pick it up for free on the airwaves, so they don't add it to the package?
                        I guess so but i have direct tv and use rabbit ears for local stuff, no PBS.
                        phsstt!

Comment

Ah, true - I forgot about that. Local stations are an upgrade to the basic package for DirecTV.

Comment

Ah, true - I forgot about that. Local stations are an upgrade to the basic package for DirecTV.
                            Its not just that, they came out to put up a addtional dish for the local stuff but that satellite is lower in the horizen than the other one and my trees are in the way.
                            phsstt!

Comment

Interesting point, Bad Hammy, about the cars. Kind of makes you wonder about what we would do in a similar situation, if GM were to take its manufacturing faciities overseas. Who would be left to produce the tanks; Nissan, Toyota, Honda....... Would severely suck if we had to try to nationalize the plants of foreign owned companies.

Comment

Working...
                              X