Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's World Cup surprisingly entertaining

Some sports are usually not entertaining IMO when played by women. Basketball is one of them. Soccer is another.

However, I really enjoyed watching Brazil in the WWC. They played some beautiful soccer and their ladies demonstrated surprsing skills. As I was watching them, I thought for a split second that this was better than watching the Brazilian men!

Marta is the best women's player I've ever seen. Mia Hamm can no longer call herself (or be called) the best women's player ever. Also, Brazil would drill our WWC champs that featured Mia, Brandi Chastain, Julie Foudy, and company.

USA women's soccer sort of started the women's soccer movement, but already we have been passed by. We have a lot to learn. The coach really blew it when he put Scurry in goal. How many US soccer teams do you see with black goalkeepers, because they are "athletic." Athletic doesn't always equal best keeper. There is more to the position than that. Just one thing we have to learn.

A good WWC, though. Well attended by the Chinese. Unfortunately for the ladies, there are only two countries that will support (meaning with fannies in seats) women's soccer: the US and China. And already, the US is losing interest in the women's game. So I guess that leaves only China.

I agree, but I would say VERY entertaining. I also agree about Martha. But don't forget the winners, Germany. I'd much rather watch them than US and China.
    China has regressed and so has the US and Norway.
    I liked the fact that the whole German coaching staff consisted of women. Brasil had a serious looking male staff.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
      But don't forget the winners, Germany. I'd much rather watch them than US and China.
      Funny how the Brazil, Germany and USA teams have become carbon copies of their male counterparts. The Germans rolled like Panzers over their opponents, the Brazilians danced through them, and the USA had technical excellence shoehorned into a rather rigid strategic model. I haven't given up hope for future USAian brilliance, but they're going to have to open up their game like the Brazilians and be better organized like the Germans. Now that GER and BZL have a 'lead', they'll be tough to catch.

Comment

Gotta get rid of the cones. Kids in the USA don't get to play street soccer. Every time they are on the pitch, there is some coach with cones supervising. So our players do not develop creativity and street toughness like some of the other top countries.

Ditch the cones and the "How To Play Soccer" book and ban the coaches for a while. Let kids play on their own from time to time.

Beating a dead horse again.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
          Gotta get rid of the cones.
          You can't blame the cones. Every coach I know uses them to restrict space, so the players have to play faster and under more pressure.

Comment

Ok, why is this obviously sexist thread still around, while another that suggested the outlandish idea that males might inherently climb mountains and run marathons better than females got nuked?

Just askin' is all.
            There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
              Gotta get rid of the cones.
              You can't blame the cones. Every coach I know uses them to restrict space, so the players have to play faster and under more pressure.
              Sorry tafnut, but I'm with BillVoll on this one. Way too much micro management in youth soccer. You should go to britain and watch the kids playing soccer with a tennis ball on the playground. There is more than enough peer pressure to play fast and there is no space.

Originally posted by guru
              Ok, why is this obviously sexist thread still around.
              Why is it sexist? Because the women play like the men? Panzers etc. Certainly the English played like their male counterparts

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                Sorry tafnut, but I'm with BillVoll on this one. Way too much micro management in youth soccer. You should go to britain and watch the kids playing soccer with a tennis ball on the playground. There is more than enough peer pressure to play fast and there is no space.
                I agree with all that but I'm STILL right, because, given the strict management of fields in the US, you need cones to define the space. "Pick-up soccer" is SUCH a foreign concept to most Americans, and while I agree that's the BEST way to learn creativity in soccer, it just ain't gonna happen in the USofA, so let's be realistic here and deal with 'is', not 'should be'.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                  But don't forget the winners, Germany. I'd much rather watch them than US and China.
                  Funny how the Brazil, Germany and USA teams have become carbon copies of their male counterparts. The Germans rolled like Panzers over their opponents, the Brazilians danced through them, and the USA had technical excellence shoehorned into a rather rigid strategic model. I haven't given up hope for future USAian brilliance, but they're going to have to open up their game like the Brazilians and be better organized like the Germans. Now that GER and BZL have a 'lead', they'll be tough to catch.
                  Alex Wolf of Sports Illustrated wrote a great piece before USA '94 about how the styles of national soccer sides tend to resemble the personality of their respective countries, as you have outlined, nut. Did you plagarize your post, nut? :wink: You have to give credit to soccer for that at least.

As for pick-up soccer, you're right in that it will likely never exist in this country for the most part. But still, we can ditch the cones in organized practices at least and let them play on thier own. I have no idea what you are talking about when you say space management. Most high school soccer teams I see practice have the entire pitch to themselves. But there are cones. You don't need the cones.

Comment

Most high school soccer teams I see practice have the entire pitch to themselves. But there are cones. You don't need the cones.
                    That's my point - that's TOO MUCH space. The cones are used to identify a small space they have to play in. 3v3 games (keepaway, knockout, etc.) in a 20x20 square are perfect for 'speed-of-play' drills.
                    (and yes, I totally plagiarized my remarks from a 1994 SI article. I keep it right here on my desk for just such occasions! :roll: )

Comment

Re: Women's World Cup surprisingly entertaining

Marta is the best women's player I've ever seen.
                      She:s graced fans here in Sverige the past couple years having been on loan to us... she seems content on staying a while longer as well.

Comment

Marta and the other Brazilians were fun to watch. Even better, they had so much fun themselves. I thought they would have prevailed over the US side just on the basis of their athleticism. Add the decision to bench the starting keeper and the disadvantage playing from behind with only 10 women and the result was inevitable.

Speaking of which... the second yellow card to Boxx was probably equal to a few others as the worst call I've seen in international soccer. Why don't the soccer czars join the 21st century and use an instant replay judge so the refs on the field are at least as well informed as everyone else on earth watching TV? A review would not be as disruptive as it is in American football since play is disrupted significantly for the issuance of cards and putzing around with placing the ball and defenses on free kicks anyway. Reviews could be limited to ensuring the legitimacy of fouls that were called, NOT to enforce possible fouls that were not cited on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                          Speaking of which... the second yellow card to Boxx was probably equal to a few others as the worst call I've seen in international soccer. Why don't the soccer czars join the 21st century and use an instant replay judge so the refs on the field are at least as well informed as everyone else on earth watching TV? A review would not be as disruptive as it is in American football since play is disrupted significantly for the issuance of cards and putzing around with placing the ball and defenses on free kicks anyway. Reviews could be limited to ensuring the legitimacy of fouls that were called, NOT to enforce possible fouls that were not cited on the field.
                          Soccer purists (i.e., ANYONE from Europe or S America!) won't buy it, but I do agree.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                            A review would not be as disruptive as it is in American football since play is disrupted significantly for the issuance of cards and putzing around with placing the ball and defenses on free kicks anyway.
                            Those things don't take as long as a video review.

Comment

Most high school soccer teams I see practice have the entire pitch to themselves. But there are cones. You don't need the cones.
                              That's my point - that's TOO MUCH space. The cones are used to identify a small space they have to play in. 3v3 games (keepaway, knockout, etc.) in a 20x20 square are perfect for 'speed-of-play' drills.
                              (and yes, I totally plagiarized my remarks from a 1994 SI article. I keep it right here on my desk for just such occasions! :roll: )
                              Nut, you don't need 3 on 3 matches, keepaway, knockout EVERY DAY. On certain days, the coaches and their cones should be locked out and the kids should be allowed to play. Let them pick teams, etc. In fact, especially when the kids are younger, letting them play unsupervised is more important than drills and fundamentals.

Comment

Working...
                              X