Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tafnut
    Originally posted by Pego
    LOL. Today, just to qualify out of Europe is a tremendous success. Many countries with quality teams have never made it.
    I'd like to thank the Academy for even considering me as a nominee. I'm honored just to be nominated with these other superb actors. :roll:
    It's this attitude which explains why there is little recreational sport for adults in the US. Everyone thinks they have to be a winner to enjoy playing. It does not help that in the youth leagues everyone "is a winner". Just look in the trophy cabinet of any kid that plays soccer.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
      It's this attitude which explains why there is little recreational sport for adults in the US. Everyone thinks they have to be a winner to enjoy playing. It does not help that in the youth leagues everyone "is a winner". Just look in the trophy cabinet of any kid that plays soccer.
      Jeez, Daisy, you are SOOO easily baited!! :roll: OF COURSE England has a magnificent legacy of football (see, I even used the 'right' word) and probably every nation on Earth, with just a very few exceptions, would be proud of the country's accomplishments!!!!!

Comment

Jeez, Daisy, you are SOOO easily baited!! :roll: OF COURSE England has a magnificent legacy of football (see, I even used the 'right' word) and probably every nation on Earth, with just a very few exceptions, would be proud of the country's accomplishments!!!!!
        Feeding trolls is what I do best. 8)

Comment

Feeding trolls is what I do best. 8)
          And boy, am I getting fat!!

Comment

my take on skill is:

1) ability to play one and two touch...

2) ability to break down a defender and create havoc on a defense...

that's the two aspects of skill when merge represent the finest aspects of the game and enhance the chances for a team to be an other team..

spain has skill, yet has never won a world cup...same with the netherlands..

south america in general, plays a skilled game, although the gamesmanship drives many euros bonkers...

the record of england basically defines where they stand in the international realm...below brasil, argentina, italy ...

i do think germany has regressed since 1994, they lack the sheer stars of their past...

so england, germany, holland, spain represent a 2nd tier...

a 3rd tier are those who generally make the wc finals , not already listed, and the usa is in that group...bascially on any given day, any result could occur...

speaking of the usa, we play the swiss in basel next wednedsay...freddy adu is expected to play...

a match on sunday against catalonia (barcelona area) was canceled by the spanish federstion...

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
              my take on skill is:
              My 20 years of coaching inform me that the #1 most overlooked skill that determines the outcome of the game is:

receiving the ball!

S/he who can completely control that first touch, can then do anything s/he wants with it. Only the truly great Superstars have had the ability to receive the ball in a way to make them dangerous as soon as the ball arrives.

Comment

agree control is the key, and right now usa is getting better...

the three best, adu, feilhaber and dempsey have diffeent back grounds...

adu born in ghana, came to the usa when he was 8, so did his early learning on the mean streets of accra...

feilhaber, american parents were living in brasil till he was 7, so playing young in brasil can't hurt...

demspey, doing well for fulham now, is an east texas kid, working class played with the hispanic kids very different than the suburban model of most americans...

jozy altidore is just so physically gifted, will turn 18 in november, and he has henry written all over him.....he will be the first great american scorer..

adu is the playmaked...altidore the finisher....

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                  actually, SKILL wins.
                  The Brazilians are the only ones in the world that win a game on individual skill
                  tafie - you may want to stick to PV coaching. That statement is just wrong :shock:
                  Says the limey whose Union Jills have done SOOOO well in the WCup in the last 40 years . . . NOT! :twisted:
                  'Nut:

I think you have been misled by the overrated US Women's team that somehow unless you win the World Cup it is all for nought. With the American semi-pro system that passes for College athletics I am surprised the US women would ever lose.

Comment

my take on skill is:
                    My 20 years of coaching inform me that the #1 most overlooked skill that determines the outcome of the game is:

receiving the ball!

S/he who can completely control that first touch, can then do anything s/he wants with it. Only the truly great Superstars have had the ability to receive the ball in a way to make them dangerous as soon as the ball arrives.
                    Tafie - why do you keep digging your hole deeper? Control may be overlooked here in the US - although I doubt if it is by qualified coaches - but it was the first thing we were taught. Then how to pass the ball. If you can't pass you can control every damn thing that comes to you to no avail. Your last sentence is simply rubbish. Have a nice day

Comment

Pat, your arguing "football" with real live Englishmen. Are you insane? Wait dont answer. What are ya gonna do next? Call Joe Montana and try to teach him the art of staying cool under pressure. Or try to tell Laughtrack how to be funny? 8)
                      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                        Are you insane?
                        Is this a trick question?

Comment

demspey, doing well for fulham now, is an east texas kid, working class played with the hispanic kids very different than the suburban model of most americans....
                          Interesting observation.. I know absolutely nothing about soccer/futball except what I have garnered in watching six year old grandson's team just conclude an undefeated 8 game season.. led by a little hispanic sparkplug who was not only more skillful than his peers and went full speed whenever he was on the field, he somehow seemed to have an innate sense of strategy, passing and going to the ball... his three year old brother was on the sidelines, sitting on a soccer ball , chomping at the bit...

Comment

teaching control...that's the problem....a kid of 4 or 5 learning to skateboard isn't taught how....he figures it out early on...

drills to learn touch result in robots mostly....

as to the usa women....well, the rest of the world is getting better...and the usa is stuck with the college and youth system...

germany is pushing the female game, while england and france have improved over teh past decade....

the female game is still in its infancy, and when the soccer cultures permit women more opportunity to play, then they too will improve...

brasil played in the 2004 olympic FINAL...

their FEMALE team did NOT play for TWO years, until comnebol qualifying happened...

and that team, which hadn't played for two years, schooled the usa, basically because of marta, and her sublime skill...

in cultures, when from birth a person is immersed in the game, that person had a huge edge over a culture where the sport is not as dominant..

and a major complaint has been ussf complete failure to include the hispanic community in the american game...basically those folk can't afford the odp fees...

Comment

and a major complaint has been ussf complete failure to include the hispanic community in the american game...basically those folk can't afford the odp fees...
                              That's a sweeping and unfair statement for all concerned. Florida does a lot for the Miami-Dade area, which is rich in Hispanic (and other) soccer talent.

Comment

ussf has ignored the latin community forever, good to hear there's some place ussf is embracing the latin game...

still, lots of working class latins, have tons of leagues everywhere, and they are genrally ignored

Comment

Working...
                                X