Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/w ... index.html

case example of how odp fails when ti comes to hispanics...

edgar castillo...read the article and it tells more than i could post

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
      case example of how odp fails when ti comes to hispanics...
      Huh? Here's what the article actually says:

That Castillo isn't playing for the American national team may reveal a flaw in U.S. Soccer's youth-development system, as he fell through the cracks. Despite his quick rise within U.S. Soccer's Olympic Development Program (ODP), Castillo's progress was stalled and he saw Mexico as his only option
      which means it is NOT ODP's problem that he didn't do better. They identified him early, which is their sole purpose. They do not DEVELOP or hype players. All they can do is give them opportunity and that's exactly what they did.

Comment

they identified him when he was 14, and it stalled then...

why did it stall??

he was hispanic and probably lacked the funds to go to the next camp, OR some coach couldn't recoginize the skill, he was probably small, quick kid, who was beaten up by the more athletic types...

kid didn't go to college, got involved with the pro game in mexico...

the talent recuiters at PRO teams get paid when they produce kids who move into the club system and succeed....you get kids who fail, you get fired..

Comment

I see Coach Ryan got canned yesterday. No surprise there. His decision to go with Scurry was bound to make him hero or goat. His record was 45-1-9 (that's GOT to be one of the better records of a fired coach!), but 'failure was not an option' in the World Cup and the keeper decision killed him.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
            'failure was not an option'
            Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
              Why?
              Cuz we went in ranked #1 (whatever THAT means), and Brazil was a 'rag-tag team that hadn't even been together for very long'. If the Germans had beaten us 2-1 in the final, with Solo in goal, he'd still have his job, as big games are a crap-shoot anyway, but we were 'embarrassed' by the butt-whupping we got. The USA was arguably the best-prepared team going in and we knew the Germans would be tough to beat, but 0-3 vs. Brazil??!! Marta notwithstanding. No way. (Altho apparently . . . way!)

Comment

I see Coach Ryan got canned yesterday. No surprise there. His decision to go with Scurry was bound to make him hero or goat. His record was 45-1-9 (that's GOT to be one of the better records of a fired coach!), but 'failure was not an option' in the World Cup and the keeper decision killed him.
                He can thank Julie Foudy, Di Cicco and Delacamera. They crucified him for the decision of a goalie even before the match. Their performance was appalling, as was the behaviour of Hope Solo. That she was not permanently suspended from the national team is beyond me.
                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                  He can thank Julie Foudy, Di Cicco and Delacamera. They crucified him for the decision of a goalie even before the match. Their performance was appalling, as was the behaviour of Hope Solo. That she was not permanently suspended from the national team is beyond me.
                  We criticize commentators for being 'homers' and not speaking their real opinions, and then we criticize them when they DO? Why do you suppose all THREE criticized him? I found all of their behavior, EVEN Solo's, 'refreshing'! :shock: Now, that said, she did deserve censure for her comments.

If I were the Big Cheese, I would have also canned him, mostly because they was no logical basis for sitting Solo. Scurry's success vs. Brazil was in a completely different situation and had no bearing on THIS game. He made a risky call and paid the consequences. Solo may well have lost it 0-4 also, but it was his 'logic' that got him fired. We admired Evel Knievel for his 'guts', but then said 'I told you so' when he ended up a cripple.

Comment

Why?
                    Cuz we went in ranked #1 (whatever THAT means)
                    You guessed it, bugger all.

So I missed all this drama. What on earth happened between him and his players? A hyperlink will be fine.

Comment

So I missed all this drama. What on earth happened between him and his players? A hyperlink will be fine.
                      Long story short - Hope Solo was our GK and she was playing superbly, but coach yanked her for the semi vs. Brazil, because our old #1 keeper, Scurry, had a good 'history' (and that was the problem - it was history) vs. Brazil. We got waxed 0-4 in the semi, with some 'dodgy' (we Amis would say sketchy) play in goal. After the game Solo had a melt-down and said SHE would have not allowed ANY goals (Marta was unstoppable in the game, so yes, she would have scored), so there was a big blow-up. The coach was roundly booed in the press for his decision. Now HE'S history.

Comment

So he was not canned for losing, he was canned for a very bad tactical error.

I'm sure if he lost with the 'A team' he'd still have his job. #1 ranking is overrated.

Comment

45-1-9 record for his team during his tenure. Unfortunately, his one loss was in his one major tourny.

Comment

So he was not canned for losing, he was canned for a very bad tactical error.
                            Well, losing
                            0-4
                            didn't help his cause any.

Comment

But do you really think if the A-team lost four-nil to an on-fire Brazil team in the semi finals it would lose him his job?

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                                We criticize commentators for being 'homers' and not speaking their real opinions, and then we criticize them when they DO? Why do you suppose all THREE criticized him? I found all of their behavior, EVEN Solo's, 'refreshing'! :shock: Now, that said, she did deserve censure for her comments.

If I were the Big Cheese, I would have also canned him, mostly because they was no logical basis for sitting Solo. Scurry's success vs. Brazil was in a completely different situation and had no bearing on THIS game. He made a risky call and paid the consequences. Solo may well have lost it 0-4 also, but it was his 'logic' that got him fired. We admired Evel Knievel for his 'guts', but then said 'I told you so' when he ended up a cripple.
                                Hope Solo is an undistinguished goalie. She cost us the win against Korea. The goal she let in was a joke. The only goalie the US has ever had that was truly world class would be Scurry in her prime. Right now, we don't have one (as far as I know).
                                As far as Solo's hissy fit.... Suppose, any professional player that gets benched for whatever reason refuses to suit up. Tell me, what will happen to him!
                                I do not criticize announcers for "stating their opinions". I criticize them for:
                                1. Talking nonsense.
                                2. Being absorbed in their own importance instead of concentrating on the game.

These three committed all those sins.
                                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                                X