Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• az2004
    replied
    true, but christime sinclair might be the best player in concacaf, and canada has lots of good young kids...

their coach was the norweigian guy who won the world cup for norway in 1995...don't know if he was retained...

interesting NT TIMES spin...basically, identical to what i've been saying...

the unc model had become the way us women play....sorry way to play the game from my view...

casually knowing pia, i would posit she knows MORE about the game than any previous uswnt coach...

thankfully, her sexual preference never entered the equation...

i think you all get my drift there...

Leave a comment:

• cullman
    replied
    Originally posted by az2004
    well, usa has tyo qualify, which will happen, as i believe concacaf gets 2 slots....so canada and usa would seem likely to advance...
    That's not a given. The Canadian team has been in a bit of disarray for the last few years years because of funding problems.

cman

Leave a comment:

• Friar
    replied
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/14/sport ... ref=slogin
    But the 47-year-old Sundhage said she wanted the team to gain more technical expertise and confidence in playing an attacking style.

During the Women’s World Cup, the United States often appeared unwilling or unable to play through the midfield, relying instead on an uncertain long-ball approach. This deficiency was exposed in an opening draw against North Korea and in the semifinal defeat to Brazil.

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    well, usa has tyo qualify, which will happen, as i believe concacaf gets 2 slots....so canada and usa would seem likely to advance...

although one of these days mexico will beat the usa women, but it's a longshot..

now, if mexico hosts the tourney...they have a bigger shot...

MENS OLY quals for concacaf are LA, TAMPA, for group play, with NASHVILLE the elimination phase... usa men are in tampa..

germany is fine as long as prinz plays. although germany won wc in 2003 and were NOT the same team in 2004, so do they play like the 2007 team in 2008, or like the drop off in 2004...

brasil, i believe the more they play the better they'll get, so i'd hope they wouldn't just wait for oly quals to get their act together...

right now, 3 teams can beat usa...brasil, germany and north korea...

heather mitts will be back from an acl, so usa will have a right back who can attack, and get the crosses, GOOD CROSSES in...sundhage coached her for two years

i would take o'reilly and put her out on the right wing, where her speed and skill can be used...

take lilly and partner her with wambach....lilly is the most skilled usa women and having her touch passes work off wambach, i think they can be dangerous...

and aly wagner needs to be healthy to run the usa offense...

i'd bet on usa winning gold, because i think sundhage will make the right moves, in tactics and personnell

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    it's pia sundhage to run the female us team ....
    excellent choice, have known her during her 2 years with the philly charge....she will give OTHER players a look, not just the ordained few.!!!!
    congrats to pia and sunil gulati...gulati botched the klinsmann deal with the men, but got it right here
    So what do you think are our realistic odds in Beijing? I can't see us beating Ger or Bzl, but we might get 'lucky' (only need one good bounce at this level sometimes) and make the Gold game.

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewAr ... 68322.html

it's pia sundhage to run the female us team ....

excellent choice, have known her during her 2 years with the philly charge....

she will give OTHER players a look, not just the ordained few.!!!!

congrats to pia and sunil gulati...

gulati botched the klinsmann deal with the men, but got it right here

Leave a comment:

• tlb747
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    Again - we have not been watching the same team. The women have played a much better game than the men for 20 years. And the men aren't THAT bad (FIFA's 18th is probably close).
    Yeah, but it sure was a dissappointment in last year's World Cup though.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    usa women have NOT played the beautiful game!
    Again - we have not been watching the same team. The women have played a much better game than the men for 20 years. And the men aren't THAT bad (FIFA's 18th is probably close).

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    usa women have NOT played the beautiful game...

they NO way played a skilled game like brasil...

it was all about the BEST athletes, who could run faster than anyone else...

they beat you with speed and size..

1991-1999 they just set up in the offensive half, and the other team ONLY ran counter attack type stuff...

the diversity in athletic skill was the key, PLUS no ones else on the female side really took the game seriously, except the nordic countries and china...

germany, has pushed recently, say late 90's onwards...

england didn't care one iota until very recently...

france has used clarefontaine to develop there female game..

henry was a clarefontaine product...

women and men can play one/two touch game, it's not like basketball where the air game in basketball makes the two games different...

the best female american was michelle akers, great goal scorer, better goals per match, by far, than anyone ever...

then transitioned in 1999 to a holding mid, and became the best one there ever....

watch barecelona or arsenal, and that's the direction i want the female game in america and around the globe to go...

no reason women can't play like them....brasil does so already

i'm not asking them to play CLOCKWORK ORANGE!!

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    imagine a team where the outside backs actually go forward, overlap with otuside mids, switch the ball from side to side and vary the attack..what a novel way to play the game...better than pound the ball to wambach, and when the other team can defend that, have no other options
    I guess you and I wave been watched different teams play. The USA has played the Beautiful Game as well as anyone in the last 20 years, including the post-Mia years. Abby W is such a powerful player, it certainly makes sense to use her as an air target as much as they do. It works! But that is not all they have. They DO need to adapt their game to what the Germans and Brazilians bring to the table, but it's not time to panic just because we lost ONE game. We didn't have a good game and the Brazilians did. Time to prepare for next year.

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    ellis has done u-20 and u-17 managing before, but she prefers a more skilled based approach to the game...

sundhage was an assistant coach in wusa before she was the head coach for boston in 2003....

mark krikorian, the current florida state head coach, hired her day one...

sundhage nurtured the young kelly smith and heather mitts...

imagine a team where the outside backs actually go forward, overlap with otuside mids, switch the ball from side to side and vary the attack..

what a novel way to play the game...

better than pound the ball to wambach, and when the other team can defend that, have no other options

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    please not dicicco.
    agree - need fresh blood.

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/st ... us&cc=5901

good news from my perspective..

pia sundhage is a leading candidate for the uswnt job...

please not dicicco...

smith or ellis would be good choices too...

they (all 3) would dramatically change the style of play of american women

Leave a comment:

• az2004
    replied
    typing, i'm lucky i hot the right key half the time...

ussf has begun to do the right things...

the u-17 coach on the male side, just hired, is wilfredo cabrera...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... 70&cc=5901

colombian who's played at the highest of levels, giving u-17 access to a quality training is positive...

rongen is a decent coach too, what dutchman doesn't know the game...

and ussf has had the usmnt go to play on the road, this year in august in sweden, lost 1-0, in october in switzerland, won 1-0, and on november 17 will play in south africa...

usa men used to play WAY TO MUCH i the comfy usa, and the road performance in real matches was mediocre at best...

as to the women.....it used to be anson dorrance and the unc mafia running everything for 10 years...that model of athletic play became the way uswnt played, athletic, run you do death, lesser emphasis on a one/two touch game...

now, ussf is looking for a new coach, perhaps some one outside of that style of play.....PIA SUNDHAGE would be one, but i think they'll go american...as i mentioned chastain would be my choice...her husband, coaches santa clara, and has turred down the job in the past...

usa women need a league to play in regularly, ONE where current form can be identified, AND NEW players enter the national team picture...

competition breeds success, and give enough women a chance, they'll push the established players out, or make them better...

Leave a comment:

• Pego
    replied
    Originally posted by tafnut
    well said, az (but poorly typed! ). I agree.
    I do, too. Especially playing Lilly as a striker rather than in midfield.
    Let me state though that I am not defending Ryan. I just felt that the booth crucified him before they had a reason to and IMHO, for the wrong reasons.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X