Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Disaster and You: What Would You Take?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Disaster and You: What Would You Take?

You're told you have three hours before a mandatory evacuation due to flooding, fire or funnel cloud. Packing important items into a vehicle, what would you take?

(apologies if the thread has been prev. done- I'm sure someone will inform me with all the attendant courtesy reserved for such notices)

BCB

My music.

Comment

Several memory sticks would fit into your pocket. So, you:re riding on a motorcycle?

Comment

Beer,wife,son, cats, guitars,c/d's,dvd's, pictures,track medals.......Yes in this order! :lol:
        phsstt!

Comment

I would take very little . . . my wife would still be throwing 'sentimental value' stuff in the car until I literally dragged her away, kicking and screaming.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
            until I literally dragged her away, kicking and screaming.
            Not unlike your first date. :P
            phsstt!

Comment

Videos of our girls when they were young(by far the most important thing we own), passports, a few paintings by DH,photo albums,computer, cameras, important documents like insurance papers,and of course all our track magazines. :lol:

Don't own anything else of much value either monetarily or emotionally.

If there was room a few cookbooks might get thrown into the pile. ops:

Comment

I can pack all of my belongings into my car (2005 Nissan Altima) within one hour, so that makes it easier for me. I am prepared to evacuate if I must do so.

Comment

my iPhone has everything of true value on it; I can evacuate on foot :-)

Comment

Wife, kids, sleeping pills and underwear.
                    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Most Value

In a flash fire in Zihuatenejo, Mexico that occurred circa 2000 n a dwelling constructed entirely of wood and thatch, the most irreplacable items someone I know lost were cassette recordings of his daughters singing when they were about eight and three years old respectively, a walking stick that had belonged to his great-grandfather (who was born into slavery in Va.), and recordings that Ornette Coleman and, if memory serves, Don Cherry, had done as a gift to him. In a letter concerning the accident those were the three things he mentioned, not store-bought items, equipment or furnishings.

Only other loss he could bring himself to mention was nearly all of the wood carvings and totems he creates.

BCB

Comment

When it once appeared that my house was about to slide down a hill in Orange County, I made sure our cars were on the street, my wallet, passport and green card were at hand and that our cats were locked in a room near the front door. We then worked frantically to protect the hill for the rest of the day/night. Never once thought about looking for photo's, momento's etc.

Not quite the same as knowing imminent disaster was guaranteed, but I still remember the implications of losing it going through my brain at warp speed all day. I have never been so adrenalised in my life. And the emotional crash that night, after being on the hill for 10 hours, was almost crushing.

Comment

Wife, insurance papers, Keys to the car, truck and boat, cat, laptops, phone, Investment and banking stuff, some clothes, thats about it.

On the way out, stop at the realtors office to put a listing on the lot and move onto the boat.

Life is so simple when you get a chance to start all over.

Comment

My leather-bound autographed Richard Nixon autobiography and my receipts for the OT tickets!

Seriously, we are deep in the heart of quake country (less than a quarter mile from the Hayward Fault) so we have thought some of this out. The Katrina aftermath was the real wakeup call for us on this.

Both of our vehicles have three days food & water supplies and tons of emergency supplies. Combine those into the 4x4 truck, add in the six days of the same supplies we have in the house, throw in the tent and sleeping bags. Take the computer, the small safe with the passport & emergency cash and such, a couple of shotguns and ammo, a few fat books to read and get the hell out. No kids no pets simplifies things. Should take about 20-30 minutes tops.

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                              My leather-bound autographed Richard Nixon autobiography and my receipts for the OT tickets!

Seriously, we are deep in the heart of quake country (less than a quarter mile from the Hayward Fault) so we have thought some of this out. The Katrina aftermath was the real wakeup call for us on this.

Both of our vehicles have three days food & water supplies and tons of emergency supplies. Combine those into the 4x4 truck, add in the six days of the same supplies we have in the house, throw in the tent and sleeping bags. Take the computer, the small safe with the passport & emergency cash and such, a couple of shotguns and ammo, a few fat books to read and get the hell out. No kids no pets simplifies things. Should take about 20-30 minutes tops.
                              Wow, Bad Hammy-the survialist! who would have thunk it.
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X