Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Disaster and You: What Would You Take?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In reverse order of importance:

5. complete (original) 38 Tom Swift books collection
    4. 19 lb. circa 1975 Teledyne titanium bicycle
    3. photo albums
    2. coin collection

1. EASY.... 59 year complete collection of Track & Field News !

Comment

Get Out, For Now!

I've actually been in a "grab what you can" experience during what was thought to be an apartment fire in a 10-unit I lived in six years back. Passport, ATM card, cell, smallish address book, film research papers, several rare books, small momentos/awards.

I don't know if safe deposit boxes are popular now, but they're a good idea f/ items that fit inside. Living will, emergency cash, paperwork, power of att'y, and for some, vintage or heirloom jewelry.

BCB

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
        Wow, Bad Hammy-the survialist! who would have thunk it.
        Not only living in the heart of quake country, but we had a little fire of our own in the neighborhood in 1991: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oakland_Hills_firestorm

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
          My leather-bound autographed Richard Nixon autobiography and my receipts for the OT tickets!

Seriously, we are deep in the heart of quake country (less than a quarter mile from the Hayward Fault) so we have thought some of this out. The Katrina aftermath was the real wakeup call for us on this.

Both of our vehicles have three days food & water supplies and tons of emergency supplies. Combine those into the 4x4 truck, add in the six days of the same supplies we have in the house, throw in the tent and sleeping bags. Take the computer, the small safe with the passport & emergency cash and such, a couple of shotguns and ammo, a few fat books to read and get the hell out. No kids no pets simplifies things. Should take about 20-30 minutes tops.
          And 20-30 minutes after that you're in gridlock 2 blocks from your house; 2 days later you're out of gas, 5M from the house :-(

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            And 20-30 minutes after that you're in gridlock 2 blocks from your house; 2 days later you're out of gas, 5M from the house :-(
            The gas tanks are never under half full so that part is covered. Lotta ways out of where I am. Depends on where the danger is coming from. Gotta do something! The 4x4 gives me a few options through nearby parks and such that others may have a harder time with. Who knows?? You do what you can . . .

Comment

Buy lots of ammo and bunker down!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                I just want to A) get out of danger and B) not find myself waiting around for FEMA to provide for me . . .

Comment

My wallet, 1948 Gibson ES-350 guitar, part of my comic book collection...and I guess me. Geez...have I been dragging that crap around for 40+ years?

cman :?

Comment

Oh, I forgot! Add a bottle of 1975 Ch√Ęteau Lafite Rothschild Bordeaux I've been saving for a special occasion to the list. I guess evacuating from a disaster counts as a special occasion . . . :lol:

Comment

Daughter. 3 bags of vaulting poles. Dog. Wife. All my MP3s, digital photos and scanned documents are backed up on a Web server in cyberspace so I have no need to take anything else.

I'm over insured for all household contents, so let it burn as long as it burns to the ground. I don't want anything recoverable or repairable since it's never the same again.

Comment

Wife

I would have thought "wife" was a given for the marrieds who have responded, but many have listed their wives as if the conclusion is not forgone.

???

BCB

Comment

As was discussed here a few years back after the first wave of killer hurricanes hit Florida (pre-Katrina), my in-laws lost EVERYTHING - the house and everything in it disappreared into the sea. They are/were in their 70s and had a life-time of momentos. The only thing they truly miss are the few things their parents had given them (family heirlooms) and photos/relics of their kids' childhoods. And they only miss them because they wanted to be able to give them to us. Makes ya think about what's really important in life. My wife thinks my shelves and shelves of track stuff are my most prized possessions, but as long as I have her and the kiddies (adults that they are now), the rest is MEANINGLESS! (and that's saying a lot from Da Nut!)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            OK, I gotta ask this dumb question. If you're bunkered down, and there's a fire or flood that's threatening to destroy your house, what's the ammo for? (If it's obvious, you'll have to forgive me--I have never owned a gun in my life.)

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                              OK, I gotta ask this dumb question. If you're bunkered down, and there's a fire or flood that's threatening to destroy your house, what's the ammo for? (If it's obvious, you'll have to forgive me--I have never owned a gun in my life.)
                              That's easy, when the undead zombies come for you, you can blow away significant portions of their anatomy, so they can't eat you . . . duh!

Comment

To protect your food and other supplies.

Comment

Working...
                                X