X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dr ngo
    replied
    Sorry

Steve - you coming to the game? Let's get together - send me an e-mail and we'll set it up. Maybe Dr. Ngo can join us
    Sorry, but I'm not going to be in South Bend next weekend. Oddly, I won't be in Durham, either! It's Madison WI, to visit my son and heir and (incidentally) probably freeze my ass off. (Oh, and watch OSU-UM with my son; I graduated from UM and he was born in A2.)

So - in South Bend, Madison, Ann Arbor, and Durham:

GO BLUE!

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam
    we can criticize tafnut, malmo, pela, et. al.
    You need to a football game with steve to do that?! Hey, this is Bash Central right here - go for it!!

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by Friar
    Maybe they should get themselves a real coach
    That's been an ongoing question for a long time. I've never really been impressed with their selections. Sometimes it's been embarrassing, like the resume fiasco or the Faust disaster. There is something about getting somebody really good that they can't handle.

The best guy they have had is probably Holtz and I think the administration was always worried he was going to have NCAA problems. Suffice to say their hires have been underwhelming.
    I'm a huge Notre Dame fan - always have been. My Dad was an Irishman from around New York and I was brought up (in the late 50s-early 60s) being taught that only Notre Dame, Army, Navy played real college football. First college football game I went to was Army-Navy in 1963 - Army won, Rollie Stichweh QBing Army over Navy and Staubach. If Notre Dame was in the south so I coulda played golf year-round, I'da probably gone there.

Having said that - I really don't think Notre Dame has had an outstanding coach since Ara Parseghian. Holtz was good but I would never put him in the upper echelon of great college coaches.

But Duke Blue is too deep - so I gotta root for the Blue Devils this weekend. By the by, they are currently destroying New Mexico State in hoops on the tube.

Leave a comment:

• bambam
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Don't worry, my good old Duke, 1-9 themselves, will be the magic winning potion for ND next week... and I'll have to be there to see it !
    Steve - you coming to the game? Let's get together - send me an e-mail and we'll set it up. Maybe Dr. Ngo can join us - we can criticize tafnut, malmo, pela, et. al.

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    Our Lady of South Bend

Must be the tough schedule w/ all those service academies on it.

BCB

Leave a comment:

• Cooter Brown
    replied
    Originally posted by Friar
    That's been an ongoing question for a long time. I've never really been impressed with their selections.
    ND was Urban Meyer's dream job. He was an assistant there early on. They tried to get him but were so slow approaching him they missed out. Florida had a private jet in the air to Utah within hours of firing Ron Zook and had him committed before ND could get him on the phone.

Leave a comment:

• Friar
    replied
    That's been an ongoing question for a long time. I've never really been impressed with their selections. Sometimes it's been embarrassing, like the resume fiasco or the Faust disaster. There is something about getting somebody really good that they can't handle.

The best guy they have had is probably Holtz and I think the administration was always worried he was going to have NCAA problems. Suffice to say their hires have been underwhelming.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied
    Re: Notre Dame is now 1-9!

Originally posted by KevinM
    Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by Conor Dary
    Good thing they got Charlie Weis for the next 10 years.
    Maybe they should get themselves a real coach, like the last one they fired. Idiots.
    I am no ND fan and am enjoying the heck out of this college FB season (primarily due to the equally unprecedented Kansas success), but are you referring to the former coach who is in last place in the PAC-10?
    In what state did he inherit the last place team? How long did ND give the guy to prove himself?

Leave a comment:

• KevinM
    replied

Originally posted by Daisy
    Maybe they should get themselves a real coach, like the last one they fired. Idiots.
    I am no ND fan and am enjoying the heck out of this college FB season (primarily due to the equally unprecedented Kansas success), but are you referring to the former coach who is in last place in the PAC-10?

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    This being the 50th anniversary of Notre Dame stopping Oklahoma's 50 something win streak, it is only fitting ND should be having a lousy year.
    Bud Wilkinson's Sooners won 47 in a row.
    Right you are.. should have looked it up.. Sooners also had a 31 game win streak 1948-50.. and, I think, ND ended that one too.

Leave a comment:

• Daisy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    This being the 50th anniversary of Notre Dame stopping Oklahoma's 50 something win streak, it is only fitting ND should be having a lousy year.
    Bud Wilkinson's Sooners won 47 in a row.

Leave a comment:

• tlb747
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    There:s no way they:d cancel ND fotboll... there are other Rudy figures out there who need their five minutes of fame! There is much for which to answer entering the winter months, but hopefully they:ll have their recruits in place for next year and athletes not destined for bowl-game glory who want to ride a positive wave will jump at the chance to play for Notre Dame.
    I was just listing some possible outcomes to prove your point of how much worse (or finding enough fingers to point out problems) it can get at the school. It will be okay.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    There:s no way they:d cancel ND fotboll... there are other Rudy figures out there who need their five minutes of fame! There is much for which to answer entering the winter months, but hopefully they:ll have their recruits in place for next year and athletes not destined for bowl-game glory who want to ride a positive wave will jump at the chance to play for Notre Dame.

Leave a comment:

• tlb747
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    If one simply had enough fingers upon which to count the ways it could get worse next year.
    I can use one finger: They lose all their games next year. That includes Navy since the streak of beating them is over. If you want to add injuries, firings, fans getting off their bandwagon (yes, a lot people like this team), or a possible cancellation of their program, I can see your point.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X