Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Story, Updated: Better Living Through Pills

Athletes taking performance-enhancing drugs. Growing concern about a reliance on pills for relief from pain, stress and anxiety. Medical leaders alarmed about drug fads, calling on doctors to exercise restraint when prescribing. Headlines from 2007? Try 1957.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/13/health/13essa.html

Interesting article. I saw Bannister's run in 1954 as almost "live" - i.e. cannot recall whether it was shown during the day or at evening news. Being in my early teens in the UK, I do not recall hearing anything about performance enhancing drugs. Without violating site policies, can anyone out there, bring me up to date on this topic? Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by catson52
      Interesting article. I saw Bannister's run in 1954 as almost "live" - i.e. cannot recall whether it was shown during the day or at evening news. Being in my early teens in the UK, I do not recall hearing anything about performance enhancing drugs. Without violating site policies, can anyone out there, bring me up to date on this topic? Thanks
      My sense was that the poorly-reasoned assumption that people COULD not run a 4-minute mile (despite ample evidence to the contrary) lead to speculation that when Bannister did and then all sorts of people did they MIGHT/MUST be assisted in doing so. Ergo, drugs, which were becoming more of a deal in everyday life at the time (hence the article -- 50 years ago).

Comment

Working...
      X