Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• movies that make men cry ???

Since about 90% of posters here seem to be male, this idiotic online article seems appropriate to consider:
    http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNew...0924/20070926/

25 movie moments that purportedly cause grown men to weep.

I'd be the first to admit that movies can move me emotionally, but the choices here are just bizarre. I mean, did anyone here cry when Rocky triumphed over the big blond Russian bully? Or at the end of E.T.? Or during Butch and Sundance's last shoot out? Or the last pitcher's mound conference in Wild Thing? OR RUDY, for crying out loud? RUDY? Honestly, I was much closer to laughing at the end of Rudy than crying.

Only two films on this list got to me. 1) Ray plays catch with his dad at the end of Field of Dreams 2) Pvt. Ryan asks his family if he has been a good man over the past 50 years. I have a tough time watching either one of those scenes.

But IMHO, the most emotional scene in any film is from To Kill a Mockingbird, when Atticus leaves the courtroom and Scout is prompted to stand because her father is walking by.

What's your choice?

Re: movies that make men cry ???

Originally posted by jhc68
    I'd be the first to admit that movies can move me emotionally, but the choices here are just bizarre. I mean, did anyone here cry when Rocky triumphed over the big blond Russian bully? Or at the end of E.T.? Or during Butch and Sundance's last shoot out? Or the last pitcher's mound conference in Wild Thing? OR RUDY, for crying out loud? RUDY? Honestly, I was much closer to laughing at the end of Rudy than crying.
    I agree with you here none of these are tear jerkers.

Comment

Good Topic. I'm not above boo-hooing at the movies, but some of these weren't even close

Butch &SK - No, it was a 'noble ending'
      Rudy - No way
      Godfather - Nope
      Dead Poet's Society - Yup
      Top Gun - close
      Braveheart - see BC&SK
      Deer Hunter - close
      ET - not at all
      Elephant man - close
      Private Ryan - yup
      Field of Dreams - close
      Rocky IV - no way. Rocky I - like a baby
      Good Will Hunting - close
      Mr Smith - N/A, saw on TV
      Platoon - close
      Rain man - close
      Star Wars - not even close
      Shawshank - like a baby
      Waterfront - see Mr. Smith
      Cuckoo's Nest - like a baby
      Midnight Cowboy - probably
      Little Caesar - see Mr. Smith
      Gangs of NY - not even
      Boyz in da Hood - Nope
      Major League - not even close

Forrest Gump - multiple times!!
      Schindler's List - couldn't even look at the screen
      Sophie's Choice - most painful movie ever

The moments that ALWAYS get me are when parent/child relationships go really bad or really good (after having gone bad).

Comment

I have seen most , maybe all, of the movies on that list but I cannot remember particular scenes that may have rendered me "dewey eyed".
        Generically though, I too am touched by parent/child reconcilation, not so much deterioration.

Comment

Brian's Song
          Cooley High
          Cornbread, Earl and Me

I was just a boy when I saw these movies, but they made me cry.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            I cannot remember particular scenes that may have rendered me "dewey eyed".
            If you hover your mouse (if I have written that phrase 30 years ago, what would people have thought?!) over the thumbnail of the scene on that site, you'll get a brief synopsis of the 'moment'.

Comment

They talked about that list on TV and said that Brian's Song was not included because it appeared on American TV.

Brian's Song -- the TV version from the early '70s -- should be #1 with a bullet on any such list.

Comment

Only two films on this list got to me. 1) Ray plays catch with his dad at the end of Field of Dreams 2) Pvt. Ryan asks his family if he has been a good man over the past 50 years. I have a tough time watching either one of those scenes.
                Perfect.

Also, Bang the Drum Slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
                  Brian's Song
                  Total Bathos. Sacchrine pap. I resent any movie that TRIES to manipulate me, and that one did. Like the song, "Honey" by Bobby Goldsboro. There's a special circle in hell for that kind of cloying sentimentality.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
                    If you hover your mouse (if I have written that phrase 30 years ago, what would people have thought?!) over the thumbnail . . .
                    Went to a presentation at work a while back where a (clueless) supervisor what giving a demo of an online system. She kept saying 'hoover your mouse over' such and such. Must have said it 20 times. Funnier than hell, in a work sort of way . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                      If you hover your mouse (if I have written that phrase 30 years ago, what would people have thought?!) over the thumbnail . . .
                      Went to a presentation at work a while back where a (clueless) supervisor what giving a demo of an online system. She kept saying 'hoover your mouse over' such and such. Must have said it 20 times. Funnier than hell, in a work sort of way . . .
                      Maybe I'm too young for this inside joke. Anybody care to clue me in.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                        Maybe I'm too young for this inside joke. Anybody care to clue me in.
                        Uh, OK. The act of moving your mouse pointer over an object on the computer screen is known as 'hovering' (as in hovercraft) your mouse over the object. No computer mice to hover with 30 years ago. Hoover, on the other hand, is a vacuum cleaner.

Comment

Hoover, on the other hand, is a vacuum cleaner.
                          Thanks. I guess you learn something new everyday. Do you think that term is more cultural, regional or generational?

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                            Also, Bang the Drum Slowly.
                            And I learned how to play Tegwar !

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                              Hoover, on the other hand, is a vacuum cleaner.
                              Thanks. I guess you learn something new everyday. Do you think that term is more cultural, regional or generational?
                              More generational than anything; at one time I'm pretty sure that Hoover was close to the generic term for a vacuum cleaner (just like Fridge came from frigidaire).

The term "hoovering" was also in vogue awhile in the '70s relative to snorting coke.

Comment

Working...
                              X