Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not the same as the SMU case. They got their t#t in a ringer over recruting violations and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
      I wouldn't rule it out, but I certainly think that the institutional controls are likely much more solid at PSU vs. FSU.
      Why would you think that? FSU uncovered this and has come down hard across the board. FSU is a highly regarded national institution, just like Penn St. They both serve their states identically. Just as Penn is better than Penn St, Florida is better than FSU, so comparisons are close. I checked the ave SAT and PSU IS higher, but not significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
        Just as Penn is better than Penn St, Florida is better than FSU, so comparisons are close.
        LOL, are you SERIOUSLY comparing Florida to Pennsylvania academically?
        There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
          Just as Penn is better than Penn St, Florida is better than FSU, so comparisons are close.
          LOL, are you SERIOUSLY comparing Florida to Pennsylvania academically?
          That is not a logical inference from my statement. Penn is better than PSU. UF is better than FSU. Penn is an Ivy - 'nuff said.

You would be amazed, however, how hard it is get into UF now, since their football and basketball teams just won Nat'l Champs. Whoever doesn't think that superior athletics does not result in an institution getter better overall, only need look at what has happened at UF in the last 5 years. The $$$ are rolling in, in all departments, and apps have skyrocketed, pushing the acceptance way rate down. FSU used to be close, but now UF has rocketed ahead.

Comment

Gator fans hope Bowden never retires.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
              I wouldn't rule it out, but I certainly think that the institutional controls are likely much more solid at PSU vs. FSU.
              Why would you think that? FSU uncovered this and has come down hard across the board. FSU is a highly regarded national institution, just like Penn St. They both serve their states identically. Just as Penn is better than Penn St, Florida is better than FSU, so comparisons are close. I checked the ave SAT and PSU IS higher, but not significantly.
              Perhaps "institutional control" was the wrong term. My point is this: No one who heard about this was surprised that it occured within the FSU football program. If a similar situation went down at PSU, many would be surprised.

I'm a fan of neither FSU nor PSU, by the way, and acknowledge that a solid dose of naïveté must be in place to think that this couldn't happen at ANY football factory, including PSU.

Comment

FSU is a highly regarded national institution, just like Penn St.
                A top major at FSU is Hospitality (as students call it, officially Hotel Mgt).

The most famous person in Austin is also a former FSU student. Not sure if he graduated... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leslie_Cochran

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
                  It's also a popular program at Cornell.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    It's also a popular program at Cornell.
                    Except when you graduate from FSU's program you go to work at Red Roof, Cornell the Ritz Carlton :P
                    There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                      prime opportunity to force Bowden to retire
                      That just ain't gonna happen. No more than Penn St would fire Joe Pa.
                      I find it hard to imagine anything of that magnitude happening under Joe Pa. (Am I being naive?)
                      no you are not, Bowden has a long history of making excuses for very bad behavior and recruiting kids that have no business at a university. Either that or he is responsible for the willful misguiding of kids that could have been made into good citizens. I think it is a little bit of both factors. Some of these guys had they gone to Joe Pa would likely have not become what they are now at FLAST but rather good football players and good citizens. But Bowden will continue to play the Staint Bobby Baptist and preach the "give these kids a chance gospel" .. that's his story and he is sticking to it.
                      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Working...
                      X