Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At Least One of You Knows Tim Foli

He's working for the Nats' organization:

"...Tim Foli returns to the dugout to manage Columbus of the Triple-A International League after spending the 2007 season as Nationals Minor League Field Coordinator. Foli managed Washington’s Triple-A affiliate in New Orleans from 2005-06. The 57-year-old also has 11 seasons of big league coaching experience with the Cincinnati Reds (2000-03), Milwaukee Brewers (1992-95) and Texas Rangers (1986-87)..."
    and speaking of speed:

"...Cesar Cedeno, who served as a Spring Training instructor with the Nationals in 2007, has been named a coach with the rookie-level Gulf Coast League Nationals. Cedeno played 17 big league seasons with Houston (1970-81), Cincinnati (1982-85), St. Louis (1985) and Los Angeles-NL (1986). He was a career .285 hitter with 199 homers, 976 RBI and 550 stolen bases..."

BCB

Yes, I remember Tim as a servicable middle infielder (big glove, little bat)for the NY Mets in the late 70s. What is the subject of the post??

Comment

Foli

This should have been posted at the thread about Emmitt Smith in h.s., where a poster recalled his kid brother besting future big leaguer Foli in a footrace:

"...Foli BORN in Culver City - graduated from Notre Dame HS in Sherman Oaks. He was living in Canoga Park when we were living out our our pre and early teen yrs. He was nicknamed 'Crazy Horse" in the majors. He once (or more? - not sure) slept on second base a night after a bad game. Also got in a fight with (among many others I was told) Reggie Jackson. Tim was an excellent fielder - soft hands and could 'read' the batters very well. He batted (if memory serves) over .500 or 600 for four years in HS. - average. Tho that seem pretty high. Obviosly way short of that in bigs. He did hit for the cycle once..."

BCB

Comment

yep - that be me that posted the lil race episode. I followed Tim's career, which was easy to do when he was active player. Afterwards he popped up and down on the radar ... good to know he's still engaged in his passion. Kinda wondering if he will ever manage in bigs. I would guess his temperament would factor in there - if its at the same demonstrable intensity as when I knew him and his early years in MLB.

Comment

do either of you know him? I emailed the Reds organization several years ago - hoping to reconnect somehow - but no deal; couldn't divulge contact info.

Comment

Foli

Don't know him. Wish I'd known of your wish, I know the Reds' staff historian, and a member of their p.r. office occasionally came to our SABR meetings when I lived there. Don't know the Nats' front ofc. as well, but the p.r. contacts are Chartese Burnett and Lisa Pagano.

BCB

Comment

Working...
            X