X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Peterson

RIP

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/12/ ... oscar.html

One of the last giants, if not the last giant of the era! One of my favorite albums is "We Get Requests".

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      One of the last giants, if not the last giant of the era! One of my favorite albums is "We Get Requests".
      Night Train was my favorite album, but have many of his in my collection. Truly one of the greats of all time. Finally saw him about three years ago at Yoshi's - a major treat!! Now playing my completed collection playlist.

Looks like Sonny Rollins may be the last great man standing from the 50's jazz era . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
        Originally posted by jazzcyclist
        Night Train was my favorite album, but have many of his in my collection. Truly one of the greats of all time. Finally saw him about three years ago at Yoshi's - a major treat!! Now playing my completed collection playlist.

Looks like Sonny Rollins may be the last great man standing from the 50's jazz era . . .
        yeah, Sonny's a giant, (I still pull out his Way Out West for ole times' sake.

But I believe Clark Terry (trpt) still has chops.

Comment

Last Man Standing

Roy Haynes is alive and "kicking".

Comment

Saw Oscar, Ella Fitzgerald and Joe Pass in 1979 at Vancouver's Queen Elizabeth Theatre. Went to the box office and they said the only seats available were "extra capacity" seating which were folding chairs. Grabbed them thinking they were at the back of the house...turns out that I was sitting second row aisle and was close enough to see up Joe Pass' pant leg. Close enough to hear Oscar grunt and talk to himself while he played...best concert I have been to...so far.

cman

Comment

Too bad, Peterson remains as one of the true legends of jazz- I especially loved the OP/Ray Brown/Ed Thigpen trio material. RIP.

Comment

Re: Oscar Peterson

a couple guys mr. Peterson played with sometimes and a rare pairing here:
                dig ...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7bk4Ho5hc6w

jim

Comment

Working...
                X