Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The perks of playing big time college football

Here are just a few of the items that will be in the goody bags of college football players who are lucky enough to play in the bowl games:
    • Vizio High Definition LCD TV
      Sony Digital Camcorder
      Nintendo Wii
      $400 Best Buy Gift Card
      Sony Bravia Surround Sound System
      iPod Video Nano
      Sony Digital Camera

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/vi ... p?t=320261
    In addition, they will be given per diems totaling more than $1000 per player depending on the bowl. And depending on the itinerary that the coach decides on, some teams will spend as many as nine days at the bowl site. For the Orange Bowl, that means a week in a hotel on South Beach and for the Sugar Bowl it means a week in a Canal Street hotel that's walking distance from Bourbon Street. Then there all of the special events thrown for the players around town such as parties at the House of Blues, not to mention all of the free tickets that are made available to them whether it be for a concert or a sporting event that just happens to be going on while they're in town. Does the NCAA allow any other sport to wine and dine its athletes like this?

ahh, the rough life of a student-athlete :shock:

Comment

Re: The perks of playing big time college football

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
      Does the NCAA allow any other sport to wine and dine its athletes like this?
      I'm mildly surprised that they allow it even in football. Once upon a time, athletes could lose their eligibility for accepting a heckuva lot less expensive than some of those toys they're apparently getting openly now.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        I'm mildly surprised that they allow it even in football. Once upon a time, athletes could lose their eligibility for accepting a heckuva lot less expensive than some of those toys they're apparently getting openly now.
        A few years ago, a bunch of Wisconsin student/athletes (all kinds of sports) were fairly severely punished for accepting discount in the shoe store.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Just wondering what kind of "goodie bags" those European meets hand out in the summer.
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Isn't all this gift bag stuff a tax liability for these kids??

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
              I doubt most of them are even filing income tax (and I am sure they are not declaring their swag).

Comment

Originally posted by polevaultpower
                I doubt most of them are even filing income tax (and I am sure they are not declaring their swag).
                Don't most of these guys make enough money in their summer jobs to require filing? 20 years ago there were stories of players getting $20-25 per hour working for well-heeled boosters during the summer. That's probably $50-60 per hour for today's "student/athletes".

Comment

Wasn't it last year when the Oscar presenters were hit up for tax owed on their swag bags?

If your team loses, maybe you should put in a call to your friendly neighborhood IRS agent.

Comment

There is a big difference between football/ basketball swag and other sports. When coaching DI track, our meal per diem was $25.00 (1996-1999). the conference gave out somethng to all attendees- a belt one year. Basketball received a cd player.
                    Outside of the bowl games, some schools put the team up in a hotel the night before home games just to get them coralled off campus.

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S
                      Outside of the bowl games, some schools put the team up in a hotel the night before home games just to get them coralled off campus.
                      I think most of the major schools do this.

Comment

Room and board portions of athletic scholarships are taxable, and it would behoove the athletes receiving said aid to file the proper IRS forms. The amount of aid is reported to the IRS by each school.

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          Room and board portions of athletic scholarships are taxable, and it would behoove the athletes receiving said aid to file the proper IRS forms. The amount of aid is reported to the IRS by each school.
                          Yes, but the gifts in question are provided by the bowls, and not the schools, correct? Part of my job involves oversight of sweepstakes/contest prize fulfillment. We are not required to submit to the IRS information on prize-winners who receive $500 or less in prizes..

Comment

After winning an Olympic gold, a few female hockey players asked the NCAA if they could join some teammates on the Wheaties box (for no remuneration). They were told no. One did and gave up her eligibility.

Comment

NCAA allows bowls to give each player $500 in gifts.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 80359/1054

Comment

Working...
                              X