Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Go vote for something positive

Hi everyone

I hope you will help me. USAToday has an online poll for their best of 2007. Catagory is Olympics Sports as they see them. I hate the fact that the Jones' drug scandal is winning. So, if you could go vote for one of the positive stories. Lagat and Tyson Gay are options. (no registering required.)

Thanks

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics/default.htm

Scroll down to "Quick Question"

Negative or not, it's hard to argue that the Jones admission wasn't the story of the year in Olympic sports.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
      Negative or not, it's hard to argue that the Jones admission wasn't the story of the year in Olympic sports.
      I sadly have to agree. By "best" they do not mean happiest, they mean the most newsworthy. Maid Marion an easy winner.

Comment

Just like he did to Powell, Gay has surpassed her when it counted.

Comment

without question it was michael phelps winning 7 gold medals at wc ( & wouda been 8 if in the most sure fire guaranteed gold of all, the medley relay, one of the yank prelim swimmers hadn't fallen into the pool in the heats & dq'ed the team ! )

he's onto match ( or even surpass ! ) spitz '72 golds, which most og observers rate as greatest overall performance in a single summer games

of note : currently he has 6 golds from athens ( 4 individual + 2 relays )

in bejing, i expect him to win 8 ( 5 individual + 3 relay )

this will smash the og record of 10 golds won by ewry, but his were all individual golds, whilst phelps will have "only" 9

he needs to keep the motivation going to '12 to pick up 2 more individual golds ( he coud actually win 3 more golds in bejiing than above - he swam within 0.03s of the 100 back wr this year, having not swum it in about 3y; he'd be a big favorite for the 400 free & he's 3rd fastest all-time at 200 back, without hardly ever racing it ! )...

Comment

actually, bam's opinion on whether ewry has 10 or 8 "official" golds woud be interesting

Comment

worth noting the upto date alltime swimming lists ( they hadn't been updated for a year )

http://www.usaswimming.org/USASWeb/_Rai ... %20men.pdf

phelps holds wr in these :

200 free
              200 fly
              200 medley
              400 medley

2nd fastest :

100 fly
              100 back

3rd fastest

200 back

some possibilities :

- he's slightly shy of 100 fly wr, but has won the og/wc over it - it's 50/50 whether he'll get that og/wr

- he swam the 100 & 200 back only seriously after the wc this year ( probably not in absolute peak form ) - 0.03s shy off 100 back & 0.33s shy of 200 back & worth noting lochte the wc/wr holder has always been his whipping boy - i'd be surprised if phelps doesn't get these 2 wrs before career end

- 100 free : ~0.5s shy of wr, but swam that last year - worth better this year when he's been stronger/better - probably nearer 0.2s shy of wr - can contend for gold ( he had fastest 100m time of anyone at wc - in a relay )

- 400 free : pb set 4y ago when still a pup - 3'46.7 : wc won this year in 3'44.3 ( wr is thorpe's 3'40-flat ) - if he'd swum it in wc, i'd have expected phelps to have gone 3'42 - 3'43

timetable will never allow it, but he's capable of 9 individual golds in bejiing ( in an era where competition is at it's greatest )

truely the greatest swimmer who ever drew breathe & after bejiing, i'd probably rate him history's greatest ever sportsman

Comment

Re: Go vote for something positive

Originally posted by Jnathletics
                ...Lagat and Tyson Gay are options...
                Looks like those two have made a clean exchange and moved past Jones.

Comment

Since it's about the top Olympic story I can't see how Jones' admission can't be #1. Unfortunate, but that's how I voted.

Comment

a sure fire gold if phelps wants it ( he may or may not ) :

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... iday_N.htm

...he nearly produced a world-record in the 100 backstroke — an event he wasn't training for.

Phelps' time of 53.01 seconds was the second-fastest ever, just three-hundreths of a second off of Aaron Peirsol's mark set in March at the world championships. That prompted coach Bob Bowman to warn the rest of the swimming world of the unthinkable: Phelps can go even faster.

"How much?" coach Bob Bowman asked. "A lot. A lot faster because he's done next to no preparation for that race specifically."

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                      Since it's about the top Olympic story I can't see how Jones' admission can't be #1. Unfortunate, but that's how I voted.
                      Absolutely true, as the question surrounded Olympic events, not WC:s.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                        Originally posted by marknhj
                        Absolutely true, as the question surrounded Olympic events, not WC:s.
                        err...

dara torres is a swimmer

Comment

Gay and Lagat, the objects of the previous post, didn:t represent an Olympic moment in 2007.

Comment

Tried to vote more than once for the Jones story.....as good republicans shud do to defeat the liberal masses, and could not do it.........Damn. Hate it when corruption fails to work. We gotta do more consulting with 3rd world nations. We are losing our touch.

Denny Crain is my god.

Comment

Yes, I know they say Olympic story, but what they mean is "Olympic Sports' Story". Since, they catagorize certain sports as Olympic and have a seperate page for them. Also since there was no Olympics in 2007, there weren't many Olympic stories.

I say Lagat's double, especially since this was really "USA Olympic Sports' Story" of the year. No American had accomplished his feat ever, so it's one for the ages and record books.

The biggest story of the year should be something uncommon, surprising and note worthy that people will remember for a long time. I think Lagat's is a run-away in all three criteria.

Plus, the drug stories are overdone so it's not really big news. I could go on about not being surprising, as lets just say MJ and Bonds have alot in common.

Comment

Working...
                              X