Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kaka 40 meters in 3.8 seconds

From a January "World Soccer" porfile. May be as accurate as American Football 40 times, but shows where South American sprinters may be.

Motorcycle or car?

Comment

must be a typo...

kaka, even for a big man has really good speed...

i'd say 4.5 or 4.6 easily, he runs away from defenders, so that neighborhood is close to reality

Comment

split data from jrm :

http://myweb.lmu.edu/jmureika/track/splits/

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
          i'd say 4.5 or 4.6 easily
          For hand timing right? No way FAT, even with no reaction time. Or do they get a running start?

Comment

The headline is misworded. It should read:

40 meters in 3.8 seconds? kaka.

Comment

3.8 ...probably in cleats on grass...

40 times are a joke...I think they measure them by the coach taking 40 big steps

Kaka is very fast once he gets rolling but I think Rooney and some others are more explosive.

Comment

kaka is really fast for a soccer player, there might be a handful of quicker guys, but kaka runs away from defenders all the time...

4.6 FAT...maybe on a good day...

of course his 3.8 was a running start, down hill with the wind

Comment

Originally posted by az2004

of course his 3.8 was a running start, down hill with the wind
                  .....to the safety of his cave, having eluded a certain habitué....

Take good care of yourself.

Comment

18 year old Mason Foote runs 50 meters in 5.1 seconds:

http://www.athleticscanada.com/files//R ... 8_MEN1.PDF

Pretty darn fast huh? :shock: Must be a typo, it was one and a half seconds.
                    Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Keep in mind that when timing a field/pitch athlete, the timer begins the instant he sees the athlete move off of the line. The athlete not only gets credit for 0.0 reaction time, but enjoys the benefit of the timer's reaction time. That is why the times are unbelievable for those of us steeped in the nuances of automatic timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
                        Keep in mind that when timing a field/pitch athlete, the timer begins the instant he sees the athlete move off of the line. The athlete not only gets credit for 0.0 reaction time, but enjoys the benefit of the timer's reaction time. That is why the times are unbelievable for those of us steeped in the nuances of automatic timing.
                        Even with two reaction times removed, a very conservative 0.6 sec, this would still be equivalent to 4.4 s for 40 m. Add in the pre-emptive stopping of the clock, say another 0.3 s, and we're up to 4.7 s.

Maurice Green ran the first 40m of his WC win in 1999 in ~4.69 seconds. His final time was 9.90. In the same race Tim Hardin ran ~4.71 and finished in 10.02.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
                          Keep in mind that when timing a field/pitch athlete, the timer begins the instant he sees the athlete move off of the line. The athlete not only gets credit for 0.0 reaction time, but enjoys the benefit of the timer's reaction time.
                          The latter factor wouldn't matter if the timers stopped their watches only after they saw the runner cross the line. But I'm sure the vast majority of them do what poor track timers do--they think they're supposed to stop their watches at the very moment the runner reaches the line, and so they anticipate the finish. That's what causes much of the problem.

Comment

This sounds like a "flying" 40 time. I could consistently clock 2.90's FAT for "flying" 30's and I could see a time of around 3.8-9 if I would have ran a 40. I was also a 10.6x sprinter.

Comment

Working...
                            X