Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't Ever Drink From the Hotel Glasses

http://www.bestviral.com/video/6629/don ... el_glasses

If the mods cut the link, just google "don't ever drink from the hotel glasses video". And take paper or plastic cups with you next time.

I always wondered about this. Have you ever seen housekeeping take these glasses from the rooms, hopefully to a dishwasher? I haven't. They never leave the rooms. Same for the bedspreads. We probably don't even want to go there! Bedspreads are being done away with in the industry, for obvious reasons.

Comment

Having ridden the train and subway to school for many years, I gave up a long time ago worrying what germs lurk in relatively public places :lol:

Comment

Re: Don't Ever Drink From the Hotel Glasses

Originally posted by bad hammy
        http://www.bestviral.com/video/6629/dont_ever_drink_from_hotel_glasses

If the mods cut the link, just google "don't ever drink from the hotel glasses video". And take paper or plastic cups with you next time.
        I'd feel a little better about the authenticity of that video if I hadn't just seen the obviously phony Roger Clemens video (on the 60 minutes thread) from the same site (bestviral.com).

Comment

Originally posted by gm
          Having ridden the train and subway to school for many years, I gave up a long time ago worrying what germs lurk in relatively public places :lol:
          For once, we agree. You can't protect yourself constantly from everything.
          That Big Hammy is such a pussy!
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Whatever . . .

Comment

I imagine that one way to figure out what's going on in the hotel where you're staying is to look at the housekeepers' carts. If they've got a big supply of glasses, presumably from the dishwasher downstairs, and you can see that they're taking clean glasses from the supply, putting them in the rooms, and replacing them with dirty glasses taken from the rooms, you've got nothing to worry about. If there are no glasses in carts in the hallways, they must be cleaning the glasses in the rooms with whatever is available to them.

The question, then, is what can you do about it? I suppose you could travel with a supply of paper or plastic cups, but that would never have occurred to me. I agree with the gm/Pego line of thinking--you can't live in a germ-free vacuum, and I've never heard of anyone getting a flesh eating virus from staying in a Holiday Inn.

Still, I was a little unsettled by the video. I put my glasses through the dishwasher at home, even though only I and Mrs. tandfman have drunk from them. I really do wish hotels would do the same. That having been said, it doesn't matter much to me because I rarely drink from a glass in a hotel. I never drink the tap water in the room--I buy bottled water and drink it from the bottle. And when I buy a can of soda from the machine, I drink it from the can. So now I'm never going to die, right? Yeah, sure.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                I put my glasses through the dishwasher at home, even though only I and Mrs. tandfman have drunk from them.
                What, no friends over to the house for a drink? Or have they already died?

Comment

Anybody who uses the glass glasses for imbibing in hotel rooms deserves what they get, when filled with ice they hold about 1oz of liquid. I've used thousands of the disposable, plastic-wrapped ones for decades and have yet to be poisoned. Also, forget about the hotel room ice bucket - get that trash can full of ice...!

Comment

But Mark, I have a feeling that the stuff you're drinking would kill all the germs anyway! :twisted:

Comment

Nothing like consuming flesh-eating organisms with your dinner.

Comment

Have you ever seen what lurks on the bottom of the ice machine bin or inside it's works?
                        Let me ask- if you were a prep cook cutting the 34 pounds of diced tomatoes used for lunch service and you cut into one that was rotten do you resanitize your board and knife before continuing to the next tomato? ps 56 pounds of zucchinni await your attention.
                        From The Jungle to Kitchen Confidential many books have been written about what happens on the other side of the door.
                        Tom Hyland:
                        "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                          But Mark, I have a feeling that the stuff you're drinking would kill all the germs anyway! :twisted:
                          Indeed! And I've read that coke/pepsi are also effective agents for cleaning toilets, removing stains and getting rid of rust....

Comment

I:ve poured coke on coffee stains inside the sink... it works to remove them.

Comment

I once let a pot roast soak in coke. Three days later it was gone.

Comment

Working...
                              X