Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Presently Nation's Worst Sports City

I live in Atlanta.

I have a friend who recently moved to Boston. Talk about worst to first!

Who do you think has the bleakest sports atmosphere at the moment?

It would be hard to beat Miami in that race.

But then, it's Miami, so who cares? If I lived there the local pro sports franchises would be about #713 on my to-do list.
    There are no strings on me

Comment

Given their resources, it's kind of hard to pick against NYC. MSG is run like a disfunctional high school. I only root against one team, and they function on broadway.
      The PED's, harrassment lawsuit,ARod contract, blown leads(Mets) have added to the gloomy headlines.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        It would be hard to beat Miami in that race.

But then, it's Miami, so who cares? If I lived there the local pro sports franchises would be about #713 on my to-do list.
        It's hard to disagree with you here. The Florida Marlins had problems getting people into the stadium even in the two years in which they won the world series. And I believe the Dolphins are the only host team in NFL history ever to have a playoff game blacked out.

Comment

But even in Miami there's hope. There's light at the end of the tunnel. We had the Tuna . . . we thought.

Now he's where?

Oh yeah, we had Favre too.

And we could have picked LT.

Yeah, I know it's not all "present". I just had to vent.

Comment

Re: Presently Nation's Worst Sports City

Originally posted by bekeselassie
            I live in Atlanta.

A sports radio talk show host in Knoxville calls Atlanta a "fake sports town." It is probably the worst sports town in America. Atlanta is a trendy city, with zero identity. Well, it has some identity: traffic and strip clubs. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
              I live in Atlanta.

A sports radio talk show host in Knoxville calls Atlanta a "fake sports town." It is probably the worst sports town in America. Atlanta is a trendy city, with zero identity. Well, it has some identity: traffic and strip clubs. That's it.
              And remember, this is one of the three American cities that have hosted an Olympics. If you could call 1996 an Olympics, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                And remember, this is one of the three American cities that have hosted an Olympics. If you could call 1996 an Olympics, that is.
                Some people think it was more of an Olympics than the one in 1984 where many of the world's best athletes were prevented by their nations' governments from competing.

Comment

The great news about Atlanta (and about every Olympics ever staged) is that once you get inside the stadium and the athletes start competing, there's no doubt where you are or what's at stake. There are few other feelings like it. (although in that regard, '84 was pretty damned hollow at times.)

Comment

Knock Atlanta all you want, folks. And knock the way they handled the Olympics. And, please, knock whatizzit!!

But no one in their right mind can doubt that on the track, these games were amazing!

Comment

Oh yeah, we had Favre too.
                      Worst draft pick of all time. A 2nd round pick on a guy that attempted 4 passes and threw 2 picks. Even worserererer than Ryan Leaf! Hey, they still managed to get a first round draft pick in a trade for him, so good riddance to bad rubbish, eh Atlanta?

Ironically, the Falcons went back to Southern Miss with the trade pick to select another blue chipper, Tony Smith. Who? :roll:

Comment

Best Sports

Boston's best. Old marathon, old ballpark, Russell/Havlicek/Bird/Garnett, Brady's Bunch, "Globe" sports section before Will McDonough's death had Dan Shaughnessy, Bob Ryan, Michael Holley, Leigh Montville, Peter Gammons and Bud Collins as national t.v. commentators or ESPN pundits. Sculls on The Charles, Bruins, Beanpot Bowl, Reggie Lewis track center, 75 colleges, and WEEI talk.

Eddie Andelman and "The Sports Huddle" pratically invented modern sports talk.

Comment

Well, unless you follow the Sharks (eh, gh?), the SF Bay Area isn't doing too well at the moment. 2 of the worst NFL franchises, mediocre basketball, one baseball franchise that can't quite get over the top despite promise and then flounders this year, the other a bunch of geezers and mired in the drug scandal, one college football program among the worst in the nation, the other collapsing midseason from #2. At least the nearby Rivercats are the best minor league franchise in the country.

Comment

i thought atlanta was all college football and car racin??

you can create a metric based on percentage of fans attending a game, factored by the winning percentage...

fans NOT supporting losers need to be accounted in some way

Comment

Working...
                            X