Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloverfield - The Hype

Saw it tonight and the hype is just that - the film is not good . . . interesting, maybe. Unless you really liked The Blair Witch Project, wait to rent the DVD . . . and split the cost with several friends. :roll:

Was the trailer for the new Star Trek film also shown?

Comment

Do we ever get to see whatever the thing is that attacked?

Comment

Originally posted by JRM
        yes, but it didn't have any scenes - just announced there would be one (it's a prequel to the TV series)

Originally posted by bekeselassie
        yes, and I guess that's why people will go, just to see the monster.

spoiler alert:

(it's just a Godzilla-type thing of unexplained origin)

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
          Originally posted by JRM
          yes, but it didn't have any scenes - just announced there would be one (it's a prequel to the TV series)

Originally posted by bekeselassie
          yes, and I guess that's why people will go, just to see the monster.

spoiler alert:

(it's just a Godzilla-type thing of unexplained origin)
          So the wait for the next great sci-fi thriller goes on. I had hoped the new War of the Worlds might be the one but alas.........the new King kong, no.......I guess an Alien doesnt come around every day, does he?
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            So the wait for the next great sci-fi thriller goes on. I had hoped the new War of the Worlds might be the one but alas.........the new King kong, no.......I guess an Alien doesnt come around every day, does he?
            Uh, I dunno - Brokeback Mountain scared me pretty badly! :shock:
            (not that there's anything wrong with that . . . :wink: )

Comment

Odd how flicks that scared the be-jeezus out of us decades ago seem pretty comical now.

I remember walking home after Saturday matinees of stuff like Invaders From Mars, Them, War of the Worlds, and Creature from the Black Lagoon - films that modern viewers would view as hilariously camp - and being creeped out and paranoid about the whole world! Is that only because I was a kid, or have our cultural sensibilities changed that much?

What's the last really strong sci fi movie, Alien ?

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                Odd how flicks that scared the be-jeezus out of us decades ago seem pretty comical now.

I remember walking home after Saturday matinees of stuff like Invaders From Mars, Them, War of the Worlds, and Creature from the Black Lagoon - films that modern viewers would view as hilariously camp - and being creeped out and paranoid about the whole world! Is that only because I was a kid, or have our cultural sensibilities changed that much?

What's the last really strong sci fi movie, Alien ?
                Some of my fairly recent favs- Remake of The Thing, Terminators, Predator
                phsstt!

Comment

Re: Cloverfield - The Hype

Unless you really liked The Blair Witch Project :roll:
                  Thanks taf - I really liked The Blair Witch Project

The film that creeped me out more than any was The Exorcist. I remember being freaked out walking home and shutting my windows when I went to bed....haven't seen it for years. Wonder if it'd be almost comical now?

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                    Wonder if it'd be almost comical now?
                    I doubt it. Saw it a few years ago. It was a well-made movie, and I think it would still have an impact on its audience.

Comment

Have to admit I love Predator. Sort of Sci Fi meets The Magnificent 7. And the cast included two future governors!

Comment

For whatever it's worth, MSNBC gave Cloverfield a thumbs-up -

From J.J. Abrams, the producer who brought you “Lost,” comes a creature feature for the post-9/11, YouTube era. Without revealing too much, we can say that the movie is exciting, terrifying and breathlessly entertaining. Those who found the “Blair Witch Project” camera work too jarring, however, should bring their Dramamine. See it this weekend.
                        There are no strings on me

Comment

C-field dominated the weekend box office. Estimates for this weekend:
                          [boxofficemojo.com]
                          1 Cloverfield $41,000,000
                          2 27 Dresses $22,427,000
                          3 The Bucket List $15,150,000
                          4 Juno $10,250,000
                          5 National Treasure: Book of Secrets $8,148,000
                          6 First Sunday $7,800,000
                          Liked 2, 3, 4, 5

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                            Unless you really liked The Blair Witch Project :roll:
                            Thanks taf - I really liked The Blair Witch Project

The film that creeped me out more than any was The Exorcist.
                            I never understood why anyone could have been scared by The Exorcist? Pea soup looked like pea soup. Possessed women spinning their heads around - seen it in real life. Ho-hum.

Alien ... hold your breath scary... mostly because you don't really see the Alien until the end -- only shadows and sound and a few flashes of biomechannoid.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre I was so scared I almost walked out of the theater; but, then the movie became silly just in the nick of time. 30 minutes of boredom followed by 30 minutes of heart-stopping terror, followed by 30 minutes comedy. What a rollercoaster ride.

Comment

When I was a kid(10ish) the original The Fly scared the heck out of me.

Comment

Working...
                              X