• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Re: Cloverfield - The Hype

Originally posted by tafnut
    Originally posted by malmo
    Possessed women spinning their heads around - seen it in real life. Ho-hum.
    If you have seen possessed women spin their head 360 in real life, that might explain why The Exorcist didn't scare you. I couldn't sleep for days after I saw it. Same as Pyscho and Alien.
    I agree with you Nut. The Xer was and is one of the scariest movies ever made.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied
    A lot of people have their hands in that 41 million.

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008- ... 460195.htm

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied
    Originally posted by Dietmar239
    An interesting note is that it only cost film makers 25M to make it so it seems they've doubled their expenditures practically the first weekend.
    I'd like to see that math.

Leave a comment:

• Dietmar239
    replied
    C-field dominated the weekend box office. Estimates for this weekend:
    [boxofficemojo.com]
    1 Cloverfield $41,000,000
    2 27 Dresses $22,427,000
    3 The Bucket List $15,150,000
    4 Juno $10,250,000
    5 National Treasure: Book of Secrets $8,148,000
    6 First Sunday $7,800,000
    Liked 2, 3, 4, 5
    Liked 1, personally. I thought it was an ingenious way of doing the movie from cam corder perspective. It also had the personal feel to it before all "Cloverfield" broke loose. An interesting note is that it only cost film makers 25M to make it so it seems they've nearly doubled their expenditures practically the first weekend.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied

Originally posted by malmo
    Possessed women spinning their heads around - seen it in real life. Ho-hum.
    If you have seen possessed women spin their head 360 in real life, that might explain why The Exorcist didn't scare you. I couldn't sleep for days after I saw it. Same as Pyscho and Alien.

Leave a comment:

• MJD
    replied
    When I was a kid(10ish) the original The Fly scared the heck out of me.

Leave a comment:

• malmo
    replied

Originally posted by marknhj
    Unless you really liked The Blair Witch Project :roll:
    Thanks taf - I really liked The Blair Witch Project

The film that creeped me out more than any was The Exorcist.
    I never understood why anyone could have been scared by The Exorcist? Pea soup looked like pea soup. Possessed women spinning their heads around - seen it in real life. Ho-hum.

Alien ... hold your breath scary... mostly because you don't really see the Alien until the end -- only shadows and sound and a few flashes of biomechannoid.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre I was so scared I almost walked out of the theater; but, then the movie became silly just in the nick of time. 30 minutes of boredom followed by 30 minutes of heart-stopping terror, followed by 30 minutes comedy. What a rollercoaster ride.

Leave a comment:

• tafnut
    replied
    C-field dominated the weekend box office. Estimates for this weekend:
    [boxofficemojo.com]
    1 Cloverfield $41,000,000
    2 27 Dresses $22,427,000
    3 The Bucket List $15,150,000
    4 Juno $10,250,000
    5 National Treasure: Book of Secrets $8,148,000
    6 First Sunday $7,800,000
    Liked 2, 3, 4, 5

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied
    For whatever it's worth, MSNBC gave Cloverfield a thumbs-up -

From J.J. Abrams, the producer who brought you “Lost,” comes a creature feature for the post-9/11, YouTube era. Without revealing too much, we can say that the movie is exciting, terrifying and breathlessly entertaining. Those who found the “Blair Witch Project” camera work too jarring, however, should bring their Dramamine. See it this weekend.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    Have to admit I love Predator. Sort of Sci Fi meets The Magnificent 7. And the cast included two future governors!

Leave a comment:

• bekeselassie
    replied

Originally posted by marknhj
    Wonder if it'd be almost comical now?
    I doubt it. Saw it a few years ago. It was a well-made movie, and I think it would still have an impact on its audience.

Leave a comment:

• marknhj
    replied

Unless you really liked The Blair Witch Project :roll:
    Thanks taf - I really liked The Blair Witch Project

The film that creeped me out more than any was The Exorcist. I remember being freaked out walking home and shutting my windows when I went to bed....haven't seen it for years. Wonder if it'd be almost comical now?

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by jhc68
    Odd how flicks that scared the be-jeezus out of us decades ago seem pretty comical now.

I remember walking home after Saturday matinees of stuff like Invaders From Mars, Them, War of the Worlds, and Creature from the Black Lagoon - films that modern viewers would view as hilariously camp - and being creeped out and paranoid about the whole world! Is that only because I was a kid, or have our cultural sensibilities changed that much?

What's the last really strong sci fi movie, Alien ?
    Some of my fairly recent favs- Remake of The Thing, Terminators, Predator

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    Odd how flicks that scared the be-jeezus out of us decades ago seem pretty comical now.

I remember walking home after Saturday matinees of stuff like Invaders From Mars, Them, War of the Worlds, and Creature from the Black Lagoon - films that modern viewers would view as hilariously camp - and being creeped out and paranoid about the whole world! Is that only because I was a kid, or have our cultural sensibilities changed that much?

What's the last really strong sci fi movie, Alien ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X