Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper forums for topics?

Really just curious about this. No complaints, but I noticed that a thread I started in the Historical board was moved to the Current Events board, but now it's in the Things Not T&F board.

I've previously started threads in the Historical board because I thought they weren't appropriate in the Current Events board, but then they were moved there.

What's the criteria?

Depends on which side of the bed I get up on :-)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      Depends on which side of the bed I get up on :-)
      Should've known . . .

Comment

Serious answer(s): even if a thread is started in the "proper" place, there are other factors which can cause it to be moved, the most common of which is when somebody takes it off on a tangent and it's not really worth the trouble to split it into two threads, so it just gets moved to where it has gone.

That's most frequently things that started out as track devolving into non-track.

There are also threads of "major significance" which end up (properly) on an a forum that isn't getting much traffic; these can end up moved to Current Events (which has by far the greatest traffic) awhile just to get the attention they deserve.

And if traffic is low, if something that doesn't really belong in Current Events starts there, we'll leave it awhile before moving it.

As for your thread that has had three homes, I don't know the specifics but there's always the possibility of (gasp!) operator error: i.e., in moving it, we move it to the wrong place then discover we have to move it again.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

And to tell the truth, my original "side of the bed" theory actually holds some water. There are times when a thread is started and I read it, and maybe even contribute to it, and the next day, even though the thread hasn't deviated, I'll say to myself, "That doesn't really belong here" and move it. Think of the Board as a living organism that continually reinvents itself.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Think of the Board as a living organism
              Cool! :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Think of the Board as a living organism that continually reinvents itself.
                It's A-L-I-V-E!!!!
                [the Frankenstein analogy is apropos, especially if you insert 'Young' in front of it. ]

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Originally posted by gh
                  It's A-L-I-V-E!!!!
                  [the Frankenstein analogy is apropos, especially if you insert 'Young' in front of it. ]
                  It's Alive was another movie on it's own. Kind of a Rosemary's Baby knockoff as I recall.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071675/

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Serious answer(s): even if a thread is started in the "proper" place, there are other factors which can cause it to be moved, the most common of which is when somebody takes it off on a tangent and it's not really worth the trouble to split it into two threads, so it just gets moved to where it has gone.
                    The way this one's already going, we need another forum created . . . :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
                      Originally posted by Marlow
                      Originally posted by gh
                      It's A-L-I-V-E!!!!
                      It's Alive was another movie on it's own. Kind of a Rosemary's Baby knockoff as I recall.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071675/
                      Oh my God! I now remember I saw this movie when it came out, incredibley funny and the whole while trying to be terrifying.
                      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                        Oh my God! I now remember I saw this movie when it came out, incredibley funny and the whole while trying to be terrifying.
                        I figured you'd like that one!

Don't you remember the TV ads for the movie? Not much creativity tin those ads, simply -- "It's Aliiiive"

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          I figured you'd like that one!

Don't you remember the TV ads for the movie? Not much creativity tin those ads, simply -- "It's Aliiiive"
                          Yes and i remember the baby coming out of the mother with fangs and flying across the room and killing the doctor, or was that those English chaps?
                          phsstt!

Comment

"It's Aliiiive"
                            Isn't that used in an ad or a song or something too.

Comment

Obama thread got cut after standing for over 24 hours and about 40 replies.

Wrong side of the bed day? :P

If so, I probably shouldn't have posted this, huh? :?

Comment

Working...
                              X