Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prince Harry in combat

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...icle860997.ece

Taliban fanatics were last night feared to be hunting down Prince Harry after he secretly fought in the Afghan badlands for ten weeks

If it requires the collusion of every major news editor in the country to keep secret the identity of one soldier every time he might see active combat, that soldier probably has no business being in the military. It just doesn't make operational sense, although credit to the prince for being willing to join the military when he obviously didn't have to.

Apparently he's been followed round by a BBC camera crew the whole time. Imagine if Britney Spears joined the marines.

Raises awkward questions about exactly what else our public funded broadcaster has elected not to tell the public in exchange for royal or governmental favours.

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
      Apparently he's been followed round by a BBC camera crew the whole time. Imagine if Britney Spears joined the marines.
      I suspect the cameras would be the least of the Marines' concerns.

Comment

I think it's much ado about nothing. Outside of the UK, how recognizable is Harry anyway? He's a pretty ordinary looking guy even before you put fatigues and a helmet on him. I read a story last year about him and some of his army buddies going onto an American military base in Britain last year just to hang out. They said that they were surprised they were able to spend the whole afternnon there doing the typical things that soldiers do in their off time, like drink beer and bowl, and no one ever seemed to recognize him. They said that he could never move about so freely amongst the British populace. If he was that invisible among Americans, I have to think he would be even more invisible among Afghans. After all, this isn't Shaquille O'Neal we're talking about. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
          Outside of the UK, how recognizable is Harry anyway?
          You mean OTHER than the fact that he's plastered all over the supermarket tabloids every week? Di was also America's princess (I have no idea why, but she was) and her two progeny have taken up the mantle. This is 'big news' (is there an ironic emoticon?) in the Colonies, and I for one would not like to be his 'wingman' if and when he sees some action. Why woudn't the brass in Her Majesty's service tell the press to amscray?!

Comment

I think it's much ado about nothing. Outside of the UK, how recognizable is Harry anyway?:
            I don't think that he flies under the radar.

Comment

I think it's much ado about nothing. Outside of the UK, how recognizable is Harry anyway? He's a pretty ordinary looking guy even before you put fatigues and a helmet on him. I read a story last year about him and some of his army buddies going onto an American military base in Britain last year just to hang out. They said that they were surprised they were able to spend the whole afternnon there doing the typical things that soldiers do in their off time, like drink beer and bowl, and no one ever seemed to recognize him. They said that he could never move about so freely amongst the British populace. If he was that invisible among Americans, I have to think he would be even more invisible among Afghans. After all, this isn't Shaquille O'Neal we're talking about. :roll:
              I doubt the fear was that a couple of guerrillas would be scrabbling round some rocky outcrop in Afghanistan when one of them spots the boy wonder through his binoculars and cries "let's get him".

More that some commander would obtain tactical information and launch some out of proportion assault on his unit because they saw him as a prestigious target. In any case they've come to their senses and are getting him out of there. Imagine the furore if he'd been killed by friendly fire from the Americans.

Comment

while this brave young man is recognizable to all who read the tabloids (and even that ultimate tabloid, The Drudge Report!), I am doubtful that many of the Taliban regularly subscribe to those magazines. :?

All that aside, good on 'im for having the stones to step up and perform his duty.

Comment

Re: Prince Harry in combat

Originally posted by Friar
                  Lest you thing the Bush family aren't doing their part, know that George P.Bush is in the Navy Reserves, stationed in Dallas.

You're joking, right?

A universe of difference between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Richardson
                    while this brave young man is recognizable to all who read the tabloids (and even that ultimate tabloid, The Drudge Report!), I am doubtful that many of the Taliban regularly subscribe to those magazines. :?
                    Amen! Afterall, how many Bollywood movie stars would be recognizable to the average American, despite the fact that some of them outdraw any Hollywood movie star?

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
                      I doubt the fear was that a couple of guerrillas would be scrabbling round some rocky outcrop in Afghanistan when one of them spots the boy wonder through his binoculars and cries "let's get him".

More that some commander would obtain tactical information and launch some out of proportion assault on his unit because they saw him as a prestigious target. In any case they've come to their senses and are getting him out of there. Imagine the furore if he'd been killed by friendly fire from the Americans.
                      Good point. So, should John McCain's son be yanked out of Iraq?

Comment

Good point. So, should John McCain's son be yanked out of Iraq?
                        Probably. He could easily be used as a negotiating chip although judging from his Dad i doubt it would work. If McCain was president, then what? Not rhetorial, is there a precedent?

Comment

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/u ... 463459.ece

Comment

wasn't Franklin Roosevelt's sons (Elliot, or Franklin Jr.) in WWII during his presidency?

Comment

Check out the right-hand panel for photo of Prince in action.

http://www.sfgate.com/columnists/asmussen/

Comment

Working...
                              X