Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Video of hairball jet landing attempt. (I think I'll drive)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The co-pilot is the one who saved the day in the Heathrow T4 landing a couple months back when the jet, making its approach, nearly crashed on top of Hatton Cross tube station before hitting the beginning of the runway field.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
      The co-pilot is the one who saved the day in the Heathrow T4 landing a couple months back when the jet, making its approach, nearly crashed on top of Hatton Cross tube station before hitting the beginning of the runway field.
      That co-pilot did their job very well. The co-pilot is supposed to be the backup and catch emergency situation parameters in sync with the pilot. Not easy to do.

Comment

Assuming he did not encounter a sudden loss of thrust from one engine (highly unlikely), that degree of "gust" may have been a microburst. The only other easy possibility would be that he landed far too close to another large jet and encountered wake turbulence. In any event, a plane that large does not land with clearance from the tower.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
          Was listening to Neal Boortz this morning. He's a pilot and talks aviation a lot. Another pilot called in with more info about this. According to this guy 1) there was a better runway for them to land on considering the wind and 2) a 24-year-old young woman pilot (assistant pilot) was given the duties of landing the plane by the head pilot. Anybody heard about this?
          Talk about baptized under fire! I would doubt this seriously, as the lives of so many people far outweigh a young hot pilot's needs for experience.
          It appears the pilots knew they were maneuvering into a difficult landing scenario.

It is not always so simple to change to another runway or even know you need the other runway. Wind changes direction, and runways stay the same.

Comment

Working...
          X