Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick native american

http://www.mensvogue.com/health/feat...?currentPage=1
    Ellsbury doesn't so much steal bases as commit grand larceny, and it's easy to imagine him racking up 40 this season. He runs 60 yards in 6.27 seconds—just a hair slower than Carl Lewis—but even more impressive is his mental machinery, which blacks out the ballpark as soon as he bolts for second base."
    Should have run a 55.

Re: Quick native american

He runs 60 yards in 6.27 seconds—just a hair slower than Carl Lewis
    Is that 60 FAT or hand? Even at FAT, it's much more than a hair slower than Lewis's 6.03.

Comment

Hey guys, he's not Native American, Ellsbury is Navaho.

I worked with many Navaho at the Intel plant south of Phoenix. They are a proud people and a joy to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by Chetanji

I worked with many Navaho at the Intel plant south of Phoenix. They are a proud people and a joy to work with.
        Huh???
        Conventional wisdom theorizes that pre-historic ancestors of American Indians migrated to the continent from Asia over the Bering landbridge during a glacial episode. For many decades this migration was presumed to have occured during the most recent Ice Age, which retreated some 15,000 years. ago. In recent years, archeologists believe they have discovered evidence that humans have inhabited the North and South American continents for possibly 30,000 to 40,000 years.

So, I guess, technically, there are no Native American, just displaced Asians.

However, since Native American has become PC speak for American Indian, how is a Navaho not a Native American? Being American Indian myself (Creek/Choctaw/Comanche) I have always thought the term Native American was pretentious and unnecessary.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          However, since Native American has become PC speak for American Indian, how is a Navaho not a Native American? Being American Indian myself (Creek/Choctaw/Comanche) I have always thought the term Native American was pretentious and unnecessary.
          I was sort of joking. What I found living with the Lakota Sioux for over a year intimatly and working alongside the Navajo for almost two years is that "American Indians" are proud of who they are. But wish to not be looked upon any different than any other American. Although sadly there is the reality of this world and how we perceive each other.

Navajo's want to be Navajo's but also want peace and gentle forgetting of the past as we move into these newer modern times.

We should all be treated fairly, but there is no fairness in this world as long as there is I am more important than you and so forth.

And even within the Navajo's there are preferred tribes or families over others which all can be called Navajo's and this is no different from any family, tribe and ethnic group anywhere in this phenominal world.

No offence meant. My American Indian and India Continent Indians are all my brothers and sisters as are all people and Nature of this precious world.

To see a Navajo Man kickin' butt in the major leagues and doing it with Boston is enormous!

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            Originally posted by Chetanji

Huh???
            Conventional wisdom theorizes that pre-historic ancestors of American Indians migrated to the continent from Asia over the Bering landbridge during a glacial episode. For many decades this migration was presumed to have occured during the most recent Ice Age, which retreated some 15,000 years. ago. In recent years, archeologists believe they have discovered evidence that humans have inhabited the North and South American continents for possibly 30,000 to 40,000 years.

So, I guess, technically, there are no Native American, just displaced Asians.

Lonewolf, have you heard of Karl May? A German small time crook in the second half of the 19th century, thrown in a debtors' prison. To get out, he started writing stories of Winnetou, an Apache. It enjoyed an enormous popularity for generations. May had nominal, if any knowledge of the Indian culture, all his writings are pure fiction. As a kid I read all of it and loved it.
            Amazon.com has some May's books in English, if you'd like to humor yourself .
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
              [Lonewolf, have you heard of Karl May? A German small time crook in the second half of the 19th century, thrown in a debtors' prison. To get out, he started writing stories of Winnetou, an Apache. It enjoyed an enormous popularity for generations. May had nominal, if any knowledge of the Indian culture, all his writings are pure fiction. As a kid I read all of it and loved it.
              Yes, although I have never read Karl May , when I was stationed in Frankfurt/Main in the mid 1950s I worked with an engineering team of German civilians. The team leader, Fritz (no kidding) ,an ex-Luftwaffe pilot ,was intensely interested in all things Western/ USA/American Indian. Karl May was the font of his knowledge of such things. I had to disabuse him of much of what he had "learned" from reading Karl May..
              Fritz did not mention Karl's checkered past. .

Comment

Working...
              X