Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Illustrated to put entire archives online

Will be accessible tomorrow. And it's free.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/17/busin ... ref=slogin

There was a time when SI actually treated Track & Field as a major sport, with years of great articles by Tex Maule and his like. It will be fun digging through them.

Comment

Any bio info on Tex Maule before I tear into his stuff tomorrow? Great name BTW.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
        There was a time when SI actually treated Track & Field as a major sport, with years of great articles by Tex Maule and his like. It will be fun digging through them.
        When there was a real U.S> indoor circuit, SI used to have a writer who wrote major stories on a weekly basis (including such luminaries as Paul Zimmerman and Frank Deford, not to mention Kenny Moore). The fading of the circuit helped kill that, but mainly it was in the '90s when they went from a managing editor who loved track to one who hated it that we became toast.

Comment

I recently had lunch with a very well-known former SI photographer who mentioned how lavish the SI travel budget was back in the '60s & 70s. It was really a first-class operation. Today's SI (as far as track is concerned) is utterly different.

Comment

Originally posted by BillVol
            Any bio info on Tex Maule before I tear into his stuff tomorrow? Great name BTW.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex_Maule

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              Originally posted by BillVol
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tex_Maule
              Thanks.

Comment

Well, it's Thursday -- and no SI archives are online. Darn.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  When there was a real U.S> indoor circuit, SI used to have a writer who wrote major stories on a weekly basis (including such luminaries as Paul Zimmerman and Frank Deford, not to mention Kenny Moore). The fading of the circuit helped kill that, but mainly it was in the '90s when they went from a managing editor who loved track to one who hated it that we became toast.
                  I ran into Paul Zimmerman at a wine tasting a few years back and we spoke of his "intern" days reporting on those 16 hour HS Track meets from 168 St ...he seemed very happy it was behind him.
                  Tom Hyland:
                  "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

The Vault is up and running. And it has a great search engine. As a test, I tried to pull up an old blurb that ran in SI in the early '70s. On the first try, there it was.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

Comment

WARNING: The Vault site is great, but don't go there unless you have a lot of time to spend! One search brings to mind another and soon you'll find yourself in an endless loop re-reading every story you liked for the past 50 years and all the ones you missed, too.

Example... July 29, 1963, Robert Shavlakadze is quoted as saying that John Thomas could jump 7'81/2" if he just knew what he was doing ('The style of the Americans is inferior.") Cool stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                        WARNING: The Vault site is great, but don't go there unless you have a lot of time to spend! One search brings to mind another and soon you'll find yourself in an endless loop re-reading every story you liked for the past 50 years and all the ones you missed, too.

Example... July 29, 1963, Robert Shavlakadze is quoted as saying that John Thomas could jump 7'81/2" if he just knew what he was doing ('The style of the Americans is inferior.") Cool stuff!
                        and Shavlakadze was right. Maybe not 7-8 1/2 but 7-6 1/2

Comment

I think Thomas' all time best after his 1960 7'3 3/4" ( 2.23 almost) was only 7'2 or or 7'2 1/2". Something "wrong" here ! The magic was killed in Rome, imho. Never the same afterwards.

Comment

I think Thomas' all time best after his 1960 7'3 3/4" ( 2.23 almost) was only 7'2 or or 7'2 1/2". Something "wrong" here ! The magic was killed in Rome, imho. Never the same afterwards.
                            He did 7-3 indoors in '61 and there might have been something similar outdoors once in 62 or 63. Can't look it up now. But I agree, he was never the same despite the Silver in '64.

Comment

Some samples of Tex Maule's writing. The first is a preview of the 1959 U.S. vs Soviet meet in Philadelphia, the second a report on the meet. The preview issue printed photos of every member of the U.S. team. The third is a preview of the 1958 U.S. Indoor Championships at the Garden.

Comment

Working...
                              X