Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Places to go, eat, drink in Beijing???

I know a handful of you folks went to Beijing for the World Juniors last summer, and others may have been at other times, so I need to pick your brains.

I've been tasked to do an 8-page roundup for a travel magazine of places to stay, eat, drink and sight-see in and around Beijing.

I have a couple dozen sources (official and otherwise), and will be going there again this month to do some footwork, but I'd like to hear real tips from actual people with no vested interest on places I should check into...

Thanks...

Surely there are some McDonalds here and there.. that's where I'd head, just to know what I'm getting (?).

Comment

Not sure about the eating a drinking - but from my trips I would say that if you can get a local to take you it is best.

My only useful bit of information to add is that we got taken to a big "foot massage" place. When I mean big I am talking 6-8 floors all with massages going on. WE got a room for 4 people with massive TV and fruit platters and then had the foot leg massage for 1.5 hours. Magnificant and following a hard days walking around the Olympic sites, I will definintely go again this August. Shouldn't be too hard to google some information on this.

Comment

Originally posted by bf
        Surely there are some McDonalds here and there.. that's where I'd head, just to know what I'm getting (?).
        Why bother travelling if your goal is to replicate Anytown, USA?

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
          Originally posted by bf
          Uh, maybe to see a certain important track meet?

Comment

They had great options at the concession stands in Seoul at the '88 Games: you could either get a seal pack of dried squid or buy a cup of dried noodles with vegetables and risk scalding yourself from the huge urns of boiling water that dotted the concourse.

Oh yeah, I think they mighta had an ice cream thingie too.

ps--both the noodles and squid were actually rather good!

Comment

I hope they don't have a hot spot called the Lucky Lhasa Lounge.

ok, poor taste, I admit. ops:
              Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                Originally posted by bf
                A track meet that is but one small part of an enormous cultural event. It's just sad to me to think that someone would travel halfway around the world to have the same HFCS-infused crap that you can get at every interstate exit in the US.

Comment

Being worried about the food /water supply and only wanting to eat at US connected eateries presumed to be held to a higer sanitary standard (from farm to cardboard box ) is not an unreasonable thought.
                  Tom Hyland:
                  "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Drink bottled water, it's fine. Or beer, it's even better.

And if you are so boxed in that you want McDonald's or KFC don't worry, they'll be available, along with Starbucks. But IMHO if you are that timid you really ought to stay home and watch on TV.

There are literally thousands of wonderful places to eat in Beijing. Thousands. The more famous ones are in the guidebooks and will be overflowing with tourists. The one's around the corner from your hotel will be inexpensive and sometimes fabulously tasty. It's all hit and miss, some good places and some bad - sort of like your hometown. Go to your family doctor before you leave and get some doses of whatever drugs he thinks you might need in an emergency. Odds on bet is that you won't need them, but they'll give you some peace of mind.

You'll be traveling half-way round the world... don't just do it for the track meet, jump into the local culture and expand your horizons a bit. Eat, buy a Mao wristwatch and talk to people. You'll be surprised how many Chinese speak some (or a lot) English. If you can, travel to outside of Beijing and you'll figure out that the capital city (like most capital cities) is not representative of the rest of the country.

And try to understand a little of what is going on there because, like it or not, China a determining factor in our collective future.

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle
                      Being worried about the food /water supply and only wanting to eat at US connected eateries presumed to be held to a higer sanitary standard (from farm to cardboard box ) is not an unreasonable thought.
                      You have to worry about water just about everywhere in the world. But limiting your dining to US-connected eateries is absurd. OK, you would not walk into a place that looked like a hole-in-the-wall dive, but you probably wouldn't do that at home either.

There are plenty of safe places to eat in Beijing. You can trust the guidebooks and your judgment.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                        Originally posted by bf
                        A track meet that is but one small part of an enormous cultural event. It's just sad to me to think that someone would travel halfway around the world to have the same HFCS-infused crap that you can get at every interstate exit in the US.
                        Oh, I know that. And I feel the same way you do. But there are others who do not travel often and have a comfort zone about food that they are reluctant to leave. These people miss out on a lot, but this is probably true when they travel in the US. I see people who are obviously tourists eating in McDonald's in major dining cities (New York, San Francisco, New Orleans, etc.), and I scratch my head wondering why they would do that. Of course, money could be part of that, but I'm sure that for many, it's just a reluctance to deal with the unknown.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

ps--both the noodles and squid were actually rather good!
                          Were you able to distinguish the noodles from the squiddly bits?

Koreans eat very strange vegetables...
                          Take good care of yourself.

Comment

I asked over on the Atlanta restaurant board about Beijing restaurants and got the following reply. So far only one response:

Noodle Loft serves up very authentic hand pulled noodles, knife-cut noodles, and much more in a posh settling. It's a great place, especially for those who don't speak Chinese well enough to navigate the very crowded noodle bars on the street. the open kitchen allows you to watch all the activities. There is also a dressing bar for a little experimenting.

Noodle Loft
                            3 Heping Xijie
                            Chaoyang District, Beijing
                            朝阳区和平西街3号

20 Xi Dawang Lu
                            CBD, Chaoyang District, Beijing
                            朝阳区西大望路南20号

Comment

Working...
                            X