Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THE beach volleyball thread

The Olympics are just around the corner and you know what that means.....beach volleyball!! YeeeHaaa!! Any word on the fitness level of the favorites?? New bikini or suntan lotion sponsorships?? Drug scandals?? Are there any beach volleyball fantasy leagues we can join?? This is going to be GREAT!!!!

Re: THE beach volleyball thread

Originally posted by DrJay
    The Olympics are just around the corner and you know what that means.....beach volleyball!! YeeeHaaa!! Any word on the fitness level of the favorites?? New bikini or suntan lotion sponsorships?? Drug scandals?? Are there any beach volleyball fantasy leagues we can join?? This is going to be GREAT!!!!
    I wonder where that came from, but I get your message. This time, I will play and this website can help.

http://en.beijing2008.cn/cptvenues/spor ... ndex.shtml

Comment

A couple of years ago, my TV died so I went the high def route. A couple of months later, I'm surfing through the channels and ran across women's beach volleyball. Women's beach volleyball in HD was quite impressive, I must say.

Comment

Re: THE beach volleyball thread

Originally posted by tlb747
        Originally posted by DrJay
        I wonder where that came from, but I get your message. This time, I will play and this website can help.
        Double entendre (of sorts) intended.

Comment

Yeah, yeah... every 4 years we restart the cycle of scorn for beach volleyball!

I'm not sure beach vb fits as an olympic sport but I will say this:

1) At least it involves a head-up competition between teams instead of having a panel of judges assigning points.

2) The best players are tremendous athletes. Misty May (who, along with her partner Kerri Walsh have been consistently the best female team in the world for several years) was a CIF champion 5'10" high jumper in 10th grade. After that she gave up track for fear of injury. And when Karch Kiraly (based on the records, the greatest male player ever - indoor or outdoor) took part in the idiotic World's Greatest Athletes contest 20 years ago, he won the 800 meters in 2:06 - running in volleyball shoes and having never raced the distance in his life.

3) Beach volleyball is a very difficult game to play at a high level. The skills set and physical requirements (endurance, quickness, size, strength) are demanding, to say the least. Try it and you will very soon get frustrated and exhausted - it's a big court for two people to cover and the soft sand makes every movement tough. Then look closely at the elevation, foot speed and ball control that world class players display.

Anyway, my bet would be that the if the May/Walsh (the top female team) played seriously that no two people who post here could score a single point against them!!!

Comment

Ditto to the post above.

Beach volleyball players are fantastically fit and athletic. I lived in the South Bay of LA for twenty years and regularly saw groups of them training in their off season. They work very hard in their conditioning work-outs and practice for hours a day. Try doing short flat-out intervals in the sand, many of them backwards, with plenty of diving on your stomach interspersed. They certainly have my respect as athletes.

Comment

Working...
            X