Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bench Press world record

from the Carson thread:

Godina was commenting on Cantwell and mentioned that Christian "has a 660 or 680 lb bench press."

This amazed me, since I remembered the record for bench press was around 700-750 lbs a few years ago. So I looked it up and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlDWdfTAx8o

1,010 lbs!!! Holy sh**, are you kidding me?! I realize there's probably no real "testing" in powerlifting, but something just doesn't seem right.

Yikes! So the record's now at 1,050 lbs (476.3 kg)!

Record progression from wikipedia:

1969 Pat Casey is the first man to bench press over 600 pounds (272 kg).He pressed 280 kg.
    1980 Bill Kazmaier is the first man to bench press over 300 kg (661 lb).
    1982 Ted Arcidi is the second man to bench press over 300 kg (he pressed 303 kg).
    1990 Kenneth Lain pressed 327 kg (721 lb).
    1995 Chris Confessore pressed 336 kg (741 lb).
    1996 Tim Micheal is the first man to bench press over 350 kg - he pressed 354 (780 lb).
    1999 Gene Rychlak is the first man to bench press over 900 lb (408 kg).
    2004 Gene Rychlak pressed 455.8 kg (1005 lb)
    2005 Scot Mendelson pressed 325 kg (715 lb) unequipped world record
    2006 Scot Mendelson pressed 457.2 kg (1008 lb) (February).
    2006 Gene Rychlak pressed 458.1 kg (1010 lb) (December).
    2007 Ryan Kennelly pressed 470 kg (1,036 lb).
    2007 Ryan Kennelly pressed 476.3 kg (1,050 lb) (December).

I just don't get what's happened in the last 10 years or so, going from 741 to 1050 in such a short time. :?

Comment

I see. The "Bench Shirt" explains much...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bench_shirt

still...

Comment

Benching over 1000 pounds is mind boggling. Doing it with inadequate spotters seems fool hardy... I am skeptical the three spotters could lift 330 pounds each in those positions, if at all.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
          Benching over 1000 pounds is mind boggling. Doing it with inadequate spotters seems fool hardy.
          You're absolutely right. Try a search for bench press accident on that well known video site and you get some pretty scary moments.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
            Benching over 1000 pounds is mind boggling. Doing it with inadequate spotters seems fool hardy... I am skeptical the three spotters could lift 330 pounds each in those positions, if at all.
            The "bench-presser" himself would still most of the work, remember.

Comment

not if he goes to complete failure

Comment

There was an expose a while back about the artificial aids, shirts and arm braces, etc., that have made a mockery of the bench press. I believe there is a 'natural bench press' record that is hundreds of pounds less. We won't even get into the area of things-we-speak-not-of. :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  not if he goes to complete failure
                  If someone's working out and hits failure at six or eight reps, then they're not much help. But on a one-rep max, even if he drops it to his chest, he should be able to assist the spotters. Let's say that once they help him past the sticking point, he can still muscle up 400-500 pounds. That leaves a lot less for the spotters to have to deal with. Perhaps I should recant on the use of the word "most" on my previous post.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                    There was an expose a while back about the artificial aids, shirts and arm braces, etc., that have made a mockery of the bench press. I believe there is a 'natural bench press' record that is hundreds of pounds less. We won't even get into the area of things-we-speak-not-of. :roll:
                    Same with the squat using the knee wraps.

Comment

There was an expose a while back about the artificial aids, shirts and arm braces, etc., that have made a mockery of the bench press. I believe there is a 'natural bench press' record that is hundreds of pounds less.
                      again, from wiki:

"The heaviest bench press without any equipment to assist is held by Scot Mendelson with a lift of 715 lbs (324.3 kg)"

I'm still wondering what's happened in the past 10 yrs to jump the 'assisted' record up by 300 lbs. :?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
                        There was an expose a while back about the artificial aids, shirts and arm braces, etc., that have made a mockery of the bench press. I believe there is a 'natural bench press' record that is hundreds of pounds less.
                        again, from wiki:

"The heaviest bench press without any equipment to assist is held by Scot Mendelson with a lift of 715 lbs (324.3 kg)"

I'm still wondering what's happened in the past 10 yrs to jump the 'assisted' record up by 300 lbs. :?
                        The bench shirts account for a great deal of assistance. I've seen lifters identified with a difference of as much as 300 or so lbs. between their raw and assisted lifts. For some they don't even do much raw(non shirted benches) work any more since wearing the shirts definitely changes the mechanics/groove of the bench press and these guys feel they need more time perfecting their shirted benches. That is, some guys hardly do any raw lifting with heavy weights any more since there is very much a different groove in lifting with a bench shirt vs. raw benching.

Comment

Last year's NCAA indoor and outdoor shot champion, Noah Bryant, has an older brother named Josh who is a "purist" powerlifter. He has benched 622 lbs. "raw" and "clean" - that is without special clothing or PEDs.

Seems like 600 to 700 pounds, and certainly less than 800, is probably the upper range of current bench press ability without artificial help.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                            He has benched 622 lbs. "raw" and "clean" - that is without special clothing or PEDs.
                            If THEY can do it, why can't we?

Comment

Originally posted by Half Miler
                              I see. The "Bench Shirt" explains much...
                              I am applying for a patent for the "Mile Jock", which in scientific studies has been shown to cut up to 8 seconds off the mile time of NCAA DI distance runners. Our first production run will be in basic white, but subsequent runs will include black, purple, tangerine, hot pink, and leopard spots, and special order "school colors" editions will be avaiable.

Comment

Working...
                              X