Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eugene Running Film Festival

Being a film dilettante, I was all excited when I read there would be a 'T&F' film festival during the Trials . . . till I visited the web-site (front-page-linked) and saw that it's mostly (all?) about distance (ugh) running. The only things more boring than distance races are movies about distance racing! :wink: I think I'll watch that Osaka 5000 again. :roll: (shoot me now)

I think that the organizers' claim of being "the first film festival ever devoted to the subject of running" is not quite entirely true. On one of the off days or off-mornings of the 1980 Trials in Eugene, several T&F films were shown in a downtown movie theater. My hazy recollection is that Olympia (1936), Tokyo Olympiad (1966) and Visions of Eight (1973) were among those shown.

Yes, one could argue that because those films included field events and other things, they were not "devoted to the subject of running" but that would be splitting hairs.

And the press release's hype about "nearly 200,000 athletes and fans" converging on Eugene? For the most part, it's the same 25,000 every day for 8 days, and probably over half of the spectators will be residents of Eugene already--they don't need to "converge." I remember reading that at the Sacramento Trials, something like 85% of the tickets were sold to locals, and only 5% were sold to people from out-of-state.

Comment

Are there any track movies about other events? I think we need to start a list of Track movies that could be shown.

I happen to like distance movies.

Comment

Originally posted by Helen S
        Are there any track movies about other events? I think we need to start a list of Track movies that could be shown.

I happen to like distance movies.

Oh, please, Lord, let the Michael Douglas epic "RUNNING" be the main feature--!

Comment

Working...
        X