X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Delta Introduces Electronic Boarding Passes

no more paper!

http://www.ajc.com/business/content/bus ... _pass.html

Yabbut, it don't solve the baggage check choke-point. Still gotta stand in LONG lines to offload yer stuff. If I could send it as an e-mail attachment, what a wonderful world this would be!!

On the downside, recent develops have gone a long way toward encouraging folks to further abuse the carry-on problem. If ya gotta pay fer stowed luggage, more 'n more idiots're gonna want to carry on bigger 'n bigger loads of their stuff. That just further slows-down an already tedious process of boarding and de-boarding the plane, especially the extra time it takes to tag 'n send the oversized stuff down below where it belongs. And the staff is gonna have to be armed with credit card readers to bill for it.

Even at the current cost of fuel, driving's becoming more 'n more attractive all the time!

Comment

I suspect we're going to get back to something United tried a few years back, and then rejected, because it slowed things down out front (or maybe TSA hated it?) and that's having a "template" outside the magnetometer, and if your bag doesn't go through, you can't take it on the plane period.

Don't some of the airlines now also have a charge for extra bags on board? (charges that miraculously disappear if you have elite enough status in their program)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        I suspect we're going to get back to something United tried a few years back, and then rejected, because it slowed things down out front (or maybe TSA hated it?) and that's having a "template" outside the magnetometer, and if your bag doesn't go through, you can't take it on the plane period.
        easyJet pulled that stunt on Mrs. tandfman recently. Made her gate-check a bag that easily fits into the overhead compartment. At the same time, I had a briefcast that probably wouldn't have fit in the template either, but they didn't notice it. easyJet operates only in Europe, so TSA had nothing to do with it.

Originally posted by gh
        Don't some of the airlines now also have a charge for extra bags on board? (charges that miraculously disappear if you have elite enough status in their program)
        Most of the domestic carriers are doing that now, and some are even beginning to charge for the first bag. First/business class and elite-level flyers are generally exempt from these baggage charges (although I have occasionally had to pay overweight charges even when flying up front).

Unfortunately, the current rules about carrying liquids and certain other articles are forcing people to check bags that they might otherwise have carried on. I know I've done that just to avoid having stuff like a pair of nail scissors confiscated.

Recent NYTimes.com story on baggage charges:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/06/15/trave ... ?_r=1&8dpc

Comment

Originally posted by Honusonthesound
          Yabbut, it don't solve the baggage check choke-point. Still gotta stand in LONG lines to offload yer stuff. If I could send it as an e-mail attachment, what a wonderful world this would be!!

On the downside, recent develops have gone a long way toward encouraging folks to further abuse the carry-on problem. If ya gotta pay fer stowed luggage, more 'n more idiots're gonna want to carry on bigger 'n bigger loads of their stuff. That just further slows-down an already tedious process of boarding and de-boarding the plane, especially the extra time it takes to tag 'n send the oversized stuff down below where it belongs. And the staff is gonna have to be armed with credit card readers to bill for it.

Even at the current cost of fuel, driving's becoming more 'n more attractive all the time!
          Totally agree. This is the bone head move of all time.
          "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Originally posted by mrbowie

Or Amtrak. Even given the rep for delays I am going by rail to visit me mum on her 93 b-day. About ninety bucks from Norcal to Socal (Anaheim) roundtrip. Some small hassles getting to the station and ret, but I do enjoy the ride with a book and a beer. Bush's bucks and well spent.

Comment

Originally posted by jamese1045
              Originally posted by mrbowie

Or Amtrak. Even given the rep for delays I am going by rail to visit me mum on her 93 b-day. About ninety bucks from Norcal to Socal (Anaheim) roundtrip. Some small hassles getting to the station and ret, but I do enjoy the ride with a book and a beer. Bush's bucks and well spent.
              Enjoy your time with your mother. Amtrak is not too bad, somewhat slow and service not available in many cities. In my case, the opening lines of a Kris Kristofferson song, tell it like it is.

Comment

"I was busted flat in Baton Rouge. Waiting on a train. I was feeling 'bout as faded as my jeans................."

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                  Originally posted by gh
                  easyJet pulled that stunt on Mrs. tandfman recently. Made her gate-check a bag that easily fits into the overhead compartment. At the same time, I had a briefcast that probably wouldn't have fit in the template either, but they didn't notice it. easyJet operates only in Europe, so TSA had nothing to do with it.
                  And the kicker here is that easy jet prides itself on how many kg (unlimited) you can bring on board their aircrafts which fits into the overhead compartment bins - unlike the 10kg one is allotted on Ryan Air, for example.

Ryan Air and easy jet both have the templates set up in their London Stansted and Gatwick Airports, with Ryan Air also employing the same in Göteborg and Stockholm (I suspect anywhere they fly).

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                    Ryan Air and easy jet both have the templates set up in their London Stansted and Gatwick Airports, with Ryan Air also employing the same in Göteborg and Stockholm (I suspect anywhere they fly).
                    But, as I mentioned above, what fits into their templates is not the same as what will actually fit in the overhead comartments or under the seats. You can fit into the overhead and still not fit inot the template, and thus be charged.

Comment

I agree, and have had similar challenges with stuffing everything into a laptop carry-on; the dimensions fit in the overhead, but not in the template.

The worst of it all? Those times when the agent doesn:t bother to ask you to weigh the bag and/or show them that you have a carry-on piece with you - as was my case on my last Ryan Air flight.

Comment

Working...
                      X