Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't really understand Tiger's knee problem but I went out in the yard and took an experimental right handed golf swing on my new (six month old) left titanium knee. I did not take a second swing.

Comment

According to one report I read this morning the ACL injury has been around for a while and he has won 9 of the 12 tournaments he has played since injuring it. On the other hand, the stress fractures were new and those were what was causing him pain during this last match.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        "A Golfing Genius Takes A Dumb Step"
        http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 11B9JP.DTL
        I realize the article is mostly tongue-in-cheek, but had Tiger gone the better-safe-than-sorry 'prudent' route, his most defining moment as one the preeminent athletes (yes, that's right, bambam, I said ATHLETE!) of our, or anyone's, time would have never been.

The 'heroism' of his Open win pales, of course, in light of what our troops in Iraq must endure, and golf is not exactly the most physically demanding sport ever, but the mental toughness he exhibited there is an important lesson for all of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
          Originally posted by gh
          "A Golfing Genius Takes A Dumb Step"
          http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 11B9JP.DTL
          I realize the article is mostly tongue-in-cheek . . .
          I do not believe the author was writing with tongue in cheek . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
            I do not believe the author was writing with tongue in cheek . . .
            I'm looking at this:

Tiger Woods is an idiot. A mesmerizing, peerless, incandescent idiot. . . . . But athletes, especially the incandescent-idiot variety, don't think about long-term consequences. They just feel a hunger. And for a lot of them, that's not entirely idiotic.
            If the writer is dead serious that Tiger is an idiot, then the joke's on him . . . and he doesn't even get it. :roll:

The SI interview make it abundantly clear that NOT playing was never an option in Tiger's mind, even when the doctor baldly told him that he was risking greater injury. Give me that kind of 'idiocy' every day. It might seem that giving up the PGA and Brit Open this year are counter-productive to his stated career goal (19+ majors), but his decision to go for this home-town National Championship was a no-brainer IMO.

Comment

. . . and he doesn't even get it. :roll:
              He is a she (this is SF).

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                . . . and he doesn't even get it. :roll:
                He is a she (this is SF).
                Oh, I didn't see a by-line. Do you mean 'she' as in a he that . . . um . . . that is to say, a person of the male persuaion that acts like . . . uh . . . :shock:
                I'm so confused! ops:

Comment

Tiger might be the first billionaire idiot. Imagine how much more money and how much better he would play if he was of average intelligents.
                  phsstt!

Comment

Oh, I didn't see a by-line. Do you mean 'she' as in a he that . . . um . . . that is to say, a person of the male persuaion that acts like . . . uh . . . :shock:
                    I'm so confused! ops:
                    To my knowledge (which is not perfect by any means) Gwen Knapp has always been, unambiguously, a she.

Comment

The 'heroism' of his Open win pales, of course, in light of what our troops in Iraq must endure, and golf is not exactly the most physically demanding sport ever, but the mental toughness he exhibited there is an important lesson for all of us.
                      Tiger's great, probably the best golfer ever. I practice orthopaedics about 85 miles from Fort Bragg and we see and treat a lot of the soldiers from there, because the medical corps is decimated with many of the MDs shipped over seas. Tuesday, I was seeing an active-duty soldier with a shoulder problem that requires surgery. I explained the surgery to him and what it entailed and asked if he wanted to go thru with it. He said, "Whatever it takes, doc. I need to get back to the fight. My job is to defend this country."

So Tiger is great, and mentally tough, but Marlow is right - that pales in comparison to that simple soldier nobody has ever heard of.

Comment

So what happens to golf viewership the rest of the year?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 005&sc=556

I know my viewing has gone up 10-fold in the last decade; if Tiger's in a tournament I watch; if he's not, I don't, unless it's one of the majors or the Ryder Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          I know my viewing has gone up 10-fold in the last decade; if Tiger's in a tournament I watch; if he's not, I don't, unless it's one of the majors or the Ryder Cup.
                          I hate watching golf, period. But I could not restrain myself from watching the last five holes in their entirety on Sunday. It was some of the best drama I've ever seen in sports. On 18, he needs a birdie to tie, then sends the ball into the bunker! Then he recovers from that, but that last shot was not nearly as easy as he made it look! I'm not telling you all anything you don't already know; I'm just rambling with appreciation . . .

Comment

Tiger's putt on 18 in regulation required a lot of skill.. and luck.. his hole out from the bunker on 17 was pure luck... abetted by skill..

Comment

So much of what Tiger does, really does look like pure blind dumb luck to me, but then again, he does it so often . . .

Comment

So much of what Tiger does, really does look like pure blind dumb luck to me, but then again, he does it so often . . .
                                Especially the 350 yard drives right down the middle! Pure unadulterated, blind luck!
                                phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                                X