Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something is rotten in Eugene

A very bad smell has arisen in Eugene, during this week of superlative performances.

http://www.registerguard.com/csp/cms/si ... id=7&fid=2

As a U of O alumni and longtime track supporter, I hear a hollowness in coach Steele's explaination for firing coach Kelly Blair LaBounty.
    Kelly was able to attract athletes that normally won't have come to the U of O, as well as producing results.
    If this stands, this is a major lost for the Oregon Track program.

didn't Oregon go through a nasty women's firing that was only recently settled after a long battle, regards former assistant Sally Harmon?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
      didn't Oregon go through a nasty women's firing that was only recently settled after a long battle, regards former assistant Sally Harmon?
      Google is your friend.

http://tinyurl.com/5bgfg3
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by guru
        Originally posted by gh
        Google is your friend.

http://tinyurl.com/5bgfg3
        How hard is it to determine someone's gender?

:lol:
        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

I find it to difficult to believe that Oregon can't just hire an additional coach on top of keeping LaBounty on the staff with the Nike $ they have. She seemed to have proven her worth to the program.

Perhaps there is a limitation on the number of coaches a staff can maintain?

I know it's UO with their storied distance tradition but how many distance coaches do they need, anyway? Do they have a speed work distance coach, a mileage distance coach, etc.?

Comment

A program is limited to 6 paid coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by dl
              A program is limited to 6 paid coaches.
              Okay, thanks.

Still seems a very strange move.

Comment

It is simple. UO has to quickly get a reputable female distance coach who can coach, recruit, be a mom, and be a big sister, for Jordan Hasay to "Come to Oregon." If I were in charge of hiring at UO and wanted Hasay, Karen Harvey would be the name on my short list.

Comment

Originally posted by cladthin
                  I find it to believe that Oregon can't just hire an additional coach on top of keeping LaBounty on the staff with the Nike $ they have. She seemed to have proven her worth to the program.

I know it's UO with their storied distance tradition but how many distance coaches do they need, anyway? Do they have a speed work distance coach, a mileage distance coach, etc.?
                  The coaching staff model that Oregon is transitioning to, which calls for three distance coaches may be appropriate for them. LSU has three sprint coaches, a distance coach, a jumps coach and a throws coach. How are other top-shelf programs structured?

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist
                    I find it to believe that Oregon can't just hire an additional coach on top of keeping LaBounty on the staff with the Nike $ they have. She seemed to have proven her worth to the program.

The coaching staff model that Oregon is transitioning to, which calls for three distance coaches may be appropriate for them. LSU has three sprint coaches, a distance coach, a jumps coach and a throws coach. How are other top-shelf programs structured?
                    Yeah I'm just questioning how many distance coaches a program needs since the events are far from technical.

Does LSU have three sprints-only(and I'm assuming hurdles as well?) coaches on staff?

Comment

And I remember my alma mater getting 2nd at the NCAA with exactly one assistant coach, and he was the first the program ever had, and he didn't start until mid-year.

At the risk of offending all you coaches out there, if the NCAA is concerned about cutting costs with its scholarship restrictions, allow me to suggest halving the coaching staffs and adding 50% more scholarships. The current situation is just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzcyclist

Yeah I'm just questioning how many distance coaches a program needs since the events are far from technical.

Does LSU have three sprints-only(and I'm assuming hurdles as well?) coaches on staff?
                        I guess I should have said three sprint/hurdle/relay coaches, and that includes Shaver.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                          And I remember my alma mater getting 2nd at the NCAA with exactly one assistant coach, and he was the first the program ever had, and he didn't start until mid-year.

At the risk of offending all you coaches out there, if the NCAA is concerned about cutting costs with its scholarship restrictions, allow me to suggest halving the coaching staffs and adding 50% more scholarships. The current situation is just silly.
                          I agree, some schools have much larger staffs than they probably need especially when it comes to coverage of the same events.

Comment

Having been fired as an assistant at a DI school, I know know much more about labor law than I really care to know. It is a highly volitile position where the school often does not follow its own rules as set by the HR department.
                            As has been pointed out, there is a wide range of staff size and salaries in the profession. I started as a DIII assistant making $5k a year, moved to a DI school with one head and 3 assistants, and last coached XC only at an NAIA school making $2k a year. For most, it is not something you are in for the money. That being said, how much do some of the "big time" (in salary anyway) coaches make?

Comment

I would love to see schools return to the concept of 2way and 3way meets that require a school compete throughout the track and field events.

This would require a broader look across all of the events rather than just the sprints, distance, jumps, or throws.

Perhaps the diminished nature of the sport is why schools adopt this model or this model diminishes the sport.

Comment

Working...
                              X