Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Helen S
    That being said, how much do some of the "big time" (in salary anyway) coaches make?
    Vince Lananna is the top dog at $600,000.

Comment

And I remember my alma mater getting 2nd at the NCAA with exactly one assistant coach, and he was the first the program ever had, and he didn't start until mid-year.

At the risk of offending all you coaches out there, if the NCAA is concerned about cutting costs with its scholarship restrictions, allow me to suggest halving the coaching staffs and adding 50% more scholarships. The current situation is just silly.

If you think track is bad--look at wrestling--if you can find a program.

Here are the slippery slopes that track will encounter...

Under Title IX--each school's number of scholarships have to be proportional to their overall enrollment. So, if the school is 50% male-female, than the total scholarships have to be 50% male-female. Last I heard, the NCAA limits that to 12 male, and 16 female. Thus, many male athletes are on partial scholarships.

Football gets 90 scholarships (I think) under NCAA rules. And, if you think even the U. of Oregon will give up one to go to track--we can enroll you into Reality University. It is absurd, but scholarships follow the money.

Here is the next kicker about money--high priced football coaches are commanding multi-million dollar salaries. To pay those salaries, coaches in non-revenue sports are being cut, or their programs are being cut (hence, U. of Oregon wrestling). When the Univ. of Utah was doing well in football and basketball--to keep up with salary demands (the football coach wanted a 45% raise to renew his contract after winning a major bowl game)--they cut men's track and cross-country.

Comment

Not to nit-pick but BCS fb gets 85 scholarships and the FCS division gets 63.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedplay
          It is simple. UO has to quickly get a reputable female distance coach who can coach, recruit, be a mom, and be a big sister, for Jordan Hasay to "Come to Oregon." If I were in charge of hiring at UO and wanted Hasay, Karen Harvey would be the name on my short list.
          I'd be willing to bet that Hasay will not end up attending UO, even if they hired Arthur Lydiard to coach women's distances. UO's academic situation is mediocre at best. Hasay is, from the reports I've seen, a very, very high-achieving student in the classroom. I would guess Stanford has a much better chance and I would not be surprised at all if she went to some Ivy League school (like the HS #1 PVer Nico Weiler just did). I also get the feeling that her family and mentors are wise to the shenanigans going on with that whole Nike/UO thing, and just don't seem to be the type of people who'd want to get mixed up in that.

Comment

From everything I've read about Hasay, I agree Stanford seems the most likely place for her, and the best fit.
            There are no strings on me

Comment

richxx87,
              Take your mean-sprited posts to the letsrun message board. While Oregon may not be perfect, there are plenty of Ivy League caliber kids on the track and field team. You clearly have an axe to grind with Oregon:

"I also get the feeling that her family and mentors are wise to the shenanigans going on with that whole Nike/UO thing, and just don't seem to be the type of people who'd want to get mixed up in that."

Really? What type of person exactly is that? Vin Lananna? Mike Reilly? Lance Deal? Which one of these men have integrity issues? I want specifics here. If you don't have any, I suggest you stop with the inuendos.

These are the types of posts that disgust me with internet message boards.

Comment

It's been posited that paranoia and a state of denial can cloud judgment. I think it's clear that those things also hinder a person's ability to comprehend the written word. I gotta say you are way off the mark. I've always been a huge UO track fan going back to the days of PRE, but as the heading of this topic points out, something has really begun to smell foul. I lost a lot of respect when they unceremoniously killed their solid wrestling program (because Nike ordered them to get a baseball team that they could kit out) AND... the whole Kevin Love debacle was a new low for uncouthness in the U.S., yet there still hasn't been a proper apology or punishment. It does make one wonder, though, why a couple of very well-mentored, extremely level-headed Freshmen-to-be (both NR holders in distance races w1600 and m2mile) chose NOT to join that hegemonic corporate leviathan's school of choice.

Comment

Wow. You really hate Oregon and Nike. With a passion. I can accept that- but please don't try to sell the idea you are a HUGE Oregon track fan. That's just silly.

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
                    Originally posted by Speedplay
                    It is simple. UO has to quickly get a reputable female distance coach who can coach, recruit, be a mom, and be a big sister, for Jordan Hasay to "Come to Oregon." If I were in charge of hiring at UO and wanted Hasay, Karen Harvey would be the name on my short list.
                    I'd be willing to bet that Hasay will not end up attending UO, even if they hired Arthur Lydiard to coach women's distances. UO's academic situation is mediocre at best. Hasay is, from the reports I've seen, a very, very high-achieving student in the classroom. I would guess Stanford has a much better chance and I would not be surprised at all if she went to some Ivy League school (like the HS #1 PVer Nico Weiler just did). I also get the feeling that her family and mentors are wise to the shenanigans going on with that whole Nike/UO thing, and just don't seem to be the type of people who'd want to get mixed up in that.
                    I'm from Chicago. I don't know what "shenanigans" means If Hasay's college choice is based 100 percent on education, Go Harvard! If she is thinking four years of NCAA eligibility, that's closer to the West Coast. Or, she could go with option Al Webb and slide back East. My point is that maybe UO wants to seriously recruit Hasay by positioning the program with a coach suited for her needs. She is the biggest fish in the biggest pond. Didn't Stanford just lose to retirement the women's coach? Why not UO for two years and then ink the largest Nike track contract ever for a female distance runner? I think her family understands long-term security.

Comment

Originally posted by decafan
                      richxx87,
                      Take your mean-sprited posts to the letsrun message board. While Oregon may not be perfect, there are plenty of Ivy League caliber kids on the track and field team. You clearly have an axe to grind with Oregon:

"I also get the feeling that her family and mentors are wise to the shenanigans going on with that whole Nike/UO thing, and just don't seem to be the type of people who'd want to get mixed up in that."

Really? What type of person exactly is that? Vin Lananna? Mike Reilly? Lance Deal? Which one of these men have integrity issues? I want specifics here. If you don't have any, I suggest you stop with the inuendos.

After spending a week in Eugene, I have to agree with richxx87 about the situation. We also asked around about Oregon's academic standing, and it does appear to be relatively mediocre compared to what will be available to Hasay. Perhaps richxx87 was a bit harsh with his word choices, but his points are each well founded about the overbearing, perhaps unethical, nature of Nike's relationship with UO, and about the academic atmosphere. No, these won't stand up in a trial court, but a message board isn't that type of forum.

Comment

Yes UO does not rank academically as high asHarvard or Stanford, but it is a very good university. Any student can get a very good education here. Graduate school is where the real difference comes into play. And when I was still teaching at UO we had students go to math grad school at MIT, Cornell, Brown, Stanford, and other "eminent" universities.

Comment

Originally posted by RMc
                          richxx87,

After spending a week in Eugene, I have to agree with richxx87 about the situation. We also asked around about Oregon's academic standing, and it does appear to be relatively mediocre compared to what will be available to Hasay. ....
                          I'm curious as to which academic experts were standing around on street corners in Eugene disbursing analyses as to the school's standing.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by RMc
                            richxx87,

After spending a week in Eugene, I have to agree with richxx87 about the situation. We also asked around about Oregon's academic standing, and it does appear to be relatively mediocre compared to what will be available to Hasay. ....
                            I'm curious as to which academic experts were standing around on street corners in Eugene disbursing analyses as to the school's standing.
                            :lol: :lol: :lol:

Comment

In fact I just remember that the guy who went to Brown got his PHD and then got hired at Stanford. Horrors, can you imagine anyone with an undergrad degree from Oregon teaching at Stanford! I guess Stanford isn't so hot after all.

Comment

Here's one of many rankings of universities by academics:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU200 ... ByRank.pdf

U. Oregon is not even in the top 500. ALL other Pac-10 schools -- including such luminaries as ASU and WSU -- are in the top 500. I'd speculate that the "people on the street corners in Eugene" are at least somewhat aware of these ignominious stats.

Comment

Working...
                                X