X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by richxx87
    Here's one of many rankings of universities by academics:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU200 ... ByRank.pdf

U. Oregon is not even in the top 500. ALL other Pac-10 schools -- including such luminaries as ASU and WSU -- are in the top 500. I'd speculate that the "people on the street corners in Eugene" are at least somewhat aware of these ignominious stats.
    What is ignominious, sir, is your ability to read. The U. of Oregon is on that top 500 list.

Comment

Originally posted by Truth Squad
      Here's one of many rankings of universities by academics:

http://ed.sjtu.edu.cn/rank/2007/ARWU200 ... ByRank.pdf

U. Oregon is not even in the top 500. ALL other Pac-10 schools -- including such luminaries as ASU and WSU -- are in the top 500. I'd speculate that the "people on the street corners in Eugene" are at least somewhat aware of these ignominious stats.
      What is ignominious, sir, is your ability to read. The U. of Oregon is on that top 500 list.
      Oops, they are indeed. Don't know what happened with my PDF search function. Still, 200th-300th is mediocre at best.

Comment

UO's academic situation is mediocre at best.
        Yes Stanford does have us beat there. :roll:

But Kenny Moore went to Oregon and he seems to have done O.K. for himself.

My oldest daughter was Phi Beta Kappa at UO and is now a Foreign Service Officer for the State Department.

My next UO daughter double majored in Economics,and Mathematics, and became fluent in Spanish spending 3 years starting a microfinance operation in Guadalajara.

My point is UO does provide educational opportunities if you wish to take advantage of them.

Oh and they have a pretty good T&F program too. 8-)

Comment

richxx87 has trouble reading and didn't believe me. So he won't believe you. He seems to believe that every student that goes to a "top-rated school" will turn out to be more educated than any student that goes to a "lower-rated" school.

Comment

Originally posted by jkjoregon
            My point is UO does provide educational opportunities if you wish to take advantage of them.
            I think this is probably true at most large state universities. Some are better than others, but Oregon is certainly a place where you can get a very good education if you want one. Three of the best educated people I know attended state schools that most people would not rank among the top academic schools in the country. But they are more knowledgeable about more subjects than many Ivy grads I know.

Comment

200th-300th is mediocre at best.
              Even as a Stanford graduate, I'm not buying your argument, Rich. ALL of the PAC-10 schools are VERY good (except Cal, of course - anyway who would go there is just asking for a minimum-wage job after graduation, probably working for a Stanford Alum! :twisted: ). I know several OU grads, and they are doing just fine in life (and making oodles more than me!!!). Hasay would be well-served going to OU, although personally, I do think she'd ENJOY the Stanford life-style more!!!

Comment

BTW, some of those rankings make no sense at all, in both directions. Shitty schools rated high; good schools rated low. I'd rather not mention names because it would probably just generate an ugly side show, with alums calling each other names, but you can look at the list and form your own opinions of its merits.

Comment

Yale at #11, below some of those others is a JOKE. And even we Pharmers will admit we shouldn't be rated over some of those other schools. Harvard is indeed #1, but after that, the list is just garbage.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    BTW, some of those rankings make no sense at all
                    I just looked at the universities that are above and below University of Oregon. There is no way that Oregon is equal to South Florida or Reading. True, I can only speak for biology but for that example they are elite.

Comment

But the list has UCLA near the top, and that's all that Rich needs to hear. Is that the same UCLA that had Sam Gilbert buy a bunch of NCAA basketball titles?

Comment

As we used to cheer on certain autumn Saturdays . . .

F-U-C-L-A

:twisted:

Comment

This guy attended Ivy League schools for under-graduate and graduate school.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moutUEfq ... re=related

Comment

Wow! Talk about a thread changing directions. This WAS about the firing of an asst. coach at UO and not about which school had academic bragging rights.

BTW , as long as you guys are talking about THE LIST and what schools are this or that, those rankings are just .....bad. I have to question what, exactly, the criteria is(even though there are categories listed for scoring) for judging those schools.

Comment

Okay this is bizarre...
                              I didn't realize this thread still existed -- thought it had been wiped or just pushed down to the next pages. Now I see there's all kinds of negative vibe-ishness going on.

Thus, I think we should take a step back and explain some things. I had assumed that others might already know my respect for Oregon track, but that was obviously not the case.

Here's the reality: I do think that what they are doing up in Eugene is fabulous for U.S. distance running -- Salazar's Oregon Project, the OTC Elite, Vin Lananna's Ducks.

I've been a fan of Rupp's for nigh on 5 years, I'm pulling for Wheating to win gold in Beijing, I dig the Mercado bros, AJ and that whole thing they got going. I dig the whole Pre and Bowerman thing, the best track stadium/fans on this planet, Hayward, and would never say or think a bad word about any of those people.

I was one of the rabid fans that lobbied our respective administrations to restore the UCLA-UO dual meet, and now that we've succeeded, I hope it goes on for decades.

BUT... with that said, I'm just saying I agreed with the original post of this thread that something "smells" a bit off lately and most of that odor seems to emanate from Beaverton and the odd little things they seem to get to go in their favor that don't seem to be mere coincidence. I speculated that maybe the top HS recruit and her support group may not want to be involved in all of that for a number of reasons -- including the assumption that they seem intent upon a top-level academic school. While UO and every other school has its positive points, I was merely pointing out, via a ranking, that UO may not fit that profile.

It's nothing more than speculation on my part. It's the same as saying, "I think Asafa will win the 100 because of x, y and z factors" (even though my personal favorite may be Tyson). It wasn't about dislike for UO, it certainly wasn't about my links to UCLA (don't know where in hell that came from!), it was just my best objective guesstimation of the situation.

And because of the fact that I do so revere UO track, I'm disappointed, as is the original poster, with the way things seem to smell at present.

Comment

College track coaching staffs of 6 are not the problem, if we are talking about saving money. There are 10 support staff employees (sports information, marketing, trainers, medical, asst. AD's, secretaries, human resources) for every 1 coach at most major universities.

Comment

Working...
                                X