• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gh
    Originally posted by RMc
    Originally posted by decafan
    richxx87,
    Take your mean-sprited posts to the letsrun message board. While Oregon may not be perfect, there are plenty of Ivy League caliber kids on the track and field team. You clearly have an axe to grind with Oregon:

"I also get the feeling that her family and mentors are wise to the shenanigans going on with that whole Nike/UO thing, and just don't seem to be the type of people who'd want to get mixed up in that."

Really? What type of person exactly is that? Vin Lananna? Mike Reilly? Lance Deal? Which one of these men have integrity issues? I want specifics here. If you don't have any, I suggest you stop with the inuendos.

These are the types of posts that disgust me with internet message boards.

After spending a week in Eugene, I have to agree with richxx87 about the situation. We also asked around about Oregon's academic standing, and it does appear to be relatively mediocre compared to what will be available to Hasay. ....
    I'm curious as to which academic experts were standing around on street corners in Eugene disbursing analyses as to the school's standing.
    gh, to be honest, I'm much closer to the academic situation of West Coast universities than you are for a variety of reasons. I'm not able to opine on the comparisons between athletic departments to the same extent as you are, but I'm much more confident that I can get a reliable estimate of comparative academic standings from my contacts and experience.

And Hasay can do much better academically by not even leaving her state, and maybe not even her home town....

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
      Originally posted by jkjoregon
      My point is UO does provide educational opportunities if you wish to take advantage of them.
      I think this is probably true at most large state universities. Some are better than others, but Oregon is certainly a place where you can get a very good education if you want one. Three of the best educated people I know attended state schools that most people would not rank among the top academic schools in the country. But they are more knowledgeable about more subjects than many Ivy grads I know.
      The real measure of the value of a school is the general outcomes for students. Yes, there are always exceptions, but it's likely that those students had to work harder to achieve what they did than if they had gone to a better school. You must consider the counterfactual case; otherwise you have false causality. And probably the most important single factor in school quality is the abilities of the other students--that factor lifts the performances of all students.

To put it simply, Oregon's students don't have the same overall abilities as those at the UW, Cal, UCLA or, dare I say it as much as it pains me, Stanford. So this makes Oregon a much less attractive place to Hasay. She could just as well go to Wazzu where partying is an unofficial major....

Comment

Yes, but she can't get that acclaim on the track.

Comment

Originally posted by RMc
          To put it simply, Oregon's students don't have the same overall abilities as those at the UW, Cal, UCLA or, dare I say it as much as it pains me, Stanford. So this makes Oregon a much less attractive place to Hasay. She could just as well go to Wazzu where partying is an unofficial major....
          I think the ONLY thing one can state with any degree of certainty is the 'quality' of those who attend, i.e., admissions standards. So looking at SAT scores, HS GPAs and percentage admitted, one could conclude that SU is 'better'. But what happens after matriculants arrive is open to debate, and in my particular case, I'm afraid I may be providing evidence contrary to the theory of SU's superiority.

Comment

Originally posted by RMc
            And Hasay can do much better academically by not even leaving her state, and maybe not even her home town....
            Wow, Atascadero has a university? Who knew Oh, you meant SLO? That's just where she goes to school.

I think I agree with what seems to be the tenor of this thread, she all but has Stanford barcoded on her fore head. The only clinker to that is if her parents are truly wealthy, an Ivy would be appealing. Stanford has the advantage of athletic scholarships, but financial aid is available at the ivies. A change of scene might be appealing.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              But what happens after matriculants arrive is open to debate
              Sometimes things can go horribly wrong. Those that excel in HS do not always make a successful transition. In general, it also depends on what degree each student wants to pursue. It's not like each degree program has equal quality based on some league table of schools.

Comment

Love the list, Rich. It took me ten years to get a four year degree (working full time almost all of it), spread out over three colleges, not one of which made the list! I shall go outside and shoot myself now . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                  It's not like each degree program has equal quality based on some league table of schools.
                  The US News & World Report standings do point out that ALL of SU's Graduate Programs are Top 5 in the nation and each of the undergraduate departments are likewise highly regarded.

Comment

It's not like each degree program has equal quality based on some league table of schools.
                    The US News & World Report standings do point out that ALL of SU's Graduate Programs are Top 5 in the nation and each of the undergraduate departments are likewise highly regarded.
                    Yeah, but they took you in so we know there are some screwups somewhere around there . . .

Comment

Originally posted by bad hammy
                      Love the list, Rich. It took me ten years to get a four year degree (working full time almost all of it), spread out over three colleges, not one of which made the list! I shall go outside and shoot myself now . . .
                      save a bullet for me, bh... I am sure my alma mater ain't even in the top 1000

Comment

Well there are exceptions, but smaller schools with less money can't compete. That does not mean that ALL their departments are second or third tier.

Obviously every student should judge a school for their own needs. I'm pretty sure that anyone favoring humanities will find departments in smaller school more educational (smaller classes). On the other hand a chance to be in a department of a large school and interact with a specific celebrity faculty might work too. Some schools can accommodate both needs. For many, the schools prestige is the only thing that counts.

Scientists might prefer schools with lots of research labs for a chance of a hands on experience despite 300+ classes. Or they might like intimate classes in small schools that are more discussion oriented? Every student is different. In general the league tables do not take that into account.

Comment

Working...
                        X