Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the greatest tennis player of all time?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, and what others were saying: "Statistics, their head-to-heads aside, point overwhelmingly Federer's way...".

Moreover, where was Nadal in Flushing Meadows and/or Paris and/or Wimbledon? Where was Federer?

Comment

As you know, Nadal was hurt(knee tendinitis) at Paris this year but played anyway. He smartly pulled out of Wimbledon, where he would have been playing again at less than 100%, to get healthy for the US Open.

His win over Federer on the Australian hardcourt in January made him the first male to hold Grand Slam titles on all three surfaces at the same time.
      There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
        Rodney Laver is the man. He virtually invented the modern game. He won the "Grand Slam" when we still thought it meant all the Big Four in the same year -- and he did it twice ('62 and '69 I believe).
        The thing with Laver though is that when he won Wimbledon in '61 and his first Grand Slam in 1962 the best players in the world were pros.

Had Rosewall, Hoad and Gonzales stayed on as amateurs Laver's career might have been quite different. In Laver's first year as a pro in 1963 he lost the majority of the many matches he played against Rosewall. Sure in 1968-1969 Laver was clearly No. 1 but by then Rosewall at age 34 had started to fade. Rosewall was 4 years older than Laver.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
          His win over Federer on the Australian hardcourt in January made him the first male to hold Grand Slam titles on all three surfaces at the same time.
          And, I salute him for an incredible feat never before accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
            Nope, but he tried stopping the best-ever from losing his place at the top of the totem poll. In tears, he apologised to Sampras for falling short. Nice seven-page spread in today's print version of Aftonbladet, including the cover.
            EP, link? I don't read Swedish too good, but I want to see this for myself.

Comment

Bill, I took fotos of my sports page yesterday and tinypic'd them up. I'll link you to the online articles now, each of which were in the spread yesterday.

Here's Sampras stating that Federer can win 18-19 titles:
              http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/t ... 5474193.ab

Graff, the judge, on his biggest match ever:
              http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/t ... 5474522.ab

Roddick distressed over loss:
              http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/t ... 5474521.ab

Sampras, stating Federer is the greatest player:
              http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/t ... 5474520.ab

Federer, on his circle now being complete:
              http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/t ... 5474519.ab

Previous greats watch Federer make history:
              http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/t ... 5474510.ab

Comment

EP, thank you very much!

Comment

Bjorn Borg
                  on the road

Comment

Re:

Originally posted by George P.
                    Rodney Laver is the man. He virtually invented the modern game. He won the "Grand Slam" when we still thought it meant all the Big Four in the same year -- and he did it twice ('62 and '69 I believe).
                    A must-watch for tennis fans, particularly those who remember Laver in his prime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLtvrv4isLA

Comment

Re: Who is the greatest tennis player of all time?

Whenever anybody asks me who the greatest tennis player ever was, my immediate answer is "Rod Laver," and that's starting to trouble me.

Why? Because my answer on "greatests" in so many categories (various sports, music, movies, etc, etc) tends to fall into a fairly tight time frame. And I think I see it in other people too.

Roughly the decade between ages 15 and 25 (or 15 years between 12 and 27), when the world really comes alive, and one truly becomes a sentient being in the real sense of the word.

I think there's an impressionable-gene that is hyperactive at that point and then gets shut off.

Not to say that my list of greatests, top to bottom, would all be from 1962 to 1974, but dang, off the top of my head, there are too many names from that era to really make sense. Particularly with the athletes of today being such superior specimens to what we had then, generally speaking.

Interesting concept to mull over.

Comment

Yes, you describe me. O'Brien, Brumel, Glen Davis and yes Laver (or Lew Hoad). Giants roamed the earth then
                        I don't think you can be a bigger fan than in your teens. Why would I still remember names like Ken Cave, Bobby Whilden and Bernie Allard?

Comment

What about the women?

Serena Williams vs Steffi Graf?
                          My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Originally posted by shivfan
                            What about the women?

Serena Williams vs Steffi Graf?
                            Navratilova and (in a totally different era and game) you can't ignore Court
                            i deserve extra credit

Comment

Althea Gibson?

This is from her Wikipedia page:

"She is one of the greatest players who ever lived," said Robert Ryland, a tennis contemporary and former coach of Venus and Serena Williams. "Martina couldn't touch her. I think she'd beat the Williams sisters."

Comment

If "greatness" is measured by career achievement, Court, Navratilova, Graf and Serena should be the top candidates.

If it means dominant and invincible, Suzanne Lenglen, Helen Wills Moody and Maureen Connolly should be top three.

If not for the tragic accident and racial segregation, Connolly-Gibson could have been the greatest rivalry in tennis history.

But if gh is right (and isn't he?), I should be voting for Martina.

Comment

Working...
                                X