• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mojo
    replied
    Originally posted by Marlow
    Originally posted by SQUACKEE
    I think the many guys with so-so dads are not posting . The few who posted in this thread are most likely very sincere.
    That is exactly what zz could not comprehend. Anyone, like squackee, who did not have fond memories, simply chose not to post a story.
    I could have posted all sorts of adjectives about my father that are far from complimentary but CHOOSE instead to remember that he loved me and did the best he could.
    The point of this thread was to remember your father-I doubt many would want to be disloyal here and post the bad stuff too. This is a public board and as we have seen there are a few very insensitive clods ((I won't use the D word on this thread) :wink: out there.

Why would you post on a thread like this?-if you don't like the mush then don't read it. :twisted:

Leave a comment:

• Marlow
    replied
    I think the many guys with so-so dads are not posting . The few who posted in this thread are most likely very sincere.
    That is exactly what zz could not comprehend. Anyone, like squackee, who did not have fond memories, simply chose not to post a story.

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by zzbottom
    Their sincerity is not at issue...Their objectivity or lack thereof, which is understandable, is the issue, and Zatopek cannot be objective, so he takes a general observation personally...
    Shouldn't have used the word sincere. There's no way to know if these loving son's are full of it. I personally believe there are many Zatopeks in the world. It doesnt matter at all if he is objective . It only matters if what he wrote is true and thats why he said speak for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    zz---too little, too late. Please enjoy a week away from the Boards while you contemplate the need to cease & desist ad hominem attacks on your fellow posters.

Leave a comment:

• zzbottom
    replied
    Listen, Zatopek, I am sorry that your father passed away...I am sure he was a great guy....my observation was made generally, and I stand by my statement, but I am sure it is a horrible loss for you to lose your father...

Leave a comment:

• zzbottom
    replied
    Their sincerity is not at issue...Their objectivity or lack thereof, which is understandable, is the issue, and Zatopek cannot be objective, so he takes a general observation personally...

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Originally posted by Zat0pek
    I'm speaking a truth which is ostensibly beyond your capacity to comprehend based on your defensive response...
    No, you speak from utter and complete ignorance because you disrespected my late father, a man whom you never met and do not know.

Leave a comment:

• zzbottom
    replied
    I'm speaking a truth which is ostensibly beyond your capacity to comprehend based on your defensive response...
    No, you speak from utter and complete ignorance because you disrespected my late father, a man whom you never met and do not know.
    I never even thought of your father when I made my observation, and if you were able to detach for one moment you'd recognize the truth of my observation...Are you bright enough to understand that not all fathers can be the greatest men who walked the earth? You're drowning in a pool of your own narcissism....

Leave a comment:

• Zat0pek
    replied

Ditto the other men described on this thread.

Leave a comment:

• zzbottom
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zat0pek
    replied
    It sounds as if most of the fathers are above average..the greatest, most admirable, most honest, possessors of unsurpassed integrity...
    Of course this is a collective illusion.
    Speak for yourself.

Leave a comment:

• zzbottom
    replied
    It sounds as if most of the fathers are above average..the greatest, most admirable, most honest, possessors of unsurpassed integrity...
    Of course this is a collective illusion...but we perhaps we need illusions...

Leave a comment:

• SQUACKEE
    replied
    Re: Your Dad

I respect and admire my father more than any man I have ever known.
    If my son ever says anything even remotely close to that it would be the greatest day of my life. :cry:

Leave a comment:

• Zat0pek
    replied
    Re: Your Dad

Originally posted by bambam
    Any stories about your Dad?
    A million, mostly bad. :x
    Very sorry to hear that. I respect and admire my father more than any man I have ever known.

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    Interesting Topic

My father never knew his own father well, and I have only been in my father's company a few times beyond the time I was about five years old. He is an unsassuming wood carver living alone on a hill in Zihuatenejo, has since after the '68 Games. I stayed w/ him for 17 days when I was about 19, and discovered we had a great deal in common- especially in our respective late teens.

We wrote one another almost weekly throughout the mid-to-late 1990's.

Athletically, he was co-captain of his h.s. basketball team in Haverhill, Mass., played basketball a year as a walk-on for Morgan State in the old CIAA, hooped as New England semi-pro until 1961, and taught over 2,000 kids to swim as a YMCA instructor and camp counselor/coach at Camp Union in N.H. He sells his carving to friends such as Ornette Coleman, Randy Weston and Jackie McLean- the late Don Cherry was a customer. My sisters, unlike I, were born in Mexico, having lived there until they were nine and five, respectively. My father gets or reads the USA Today during his walks into "town", watches the NBA Finals at a sports bar, and knows more about prep basketball and world soccer than many of my friends. His command and recall of jazz history is uncanny.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X