Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Their sincerity is not at issue...Their objectivity or lack thereof, which is understandable, is the issue, and Zatopek cannot be objective, so he takes a general observation personally...

Comment

Listen, Zatopek, I am sorry that your father passed away...I am sure he was a great guy....my observation was made generally, and I stand by my statement, but I am sure it is a horrible loss for you to lose your father...

Comment

zz---too little, too late. Please enjoy a week away from the Boards while you contemplate the need to cease & desist ad hominem attacks on your fellow posters.

Comment

Originally posted by zzbottom
          Their sincerity is not at issue...Their objectivity or lack thereof, which is understandable, is the issue, and Zatopek cannot be objective, so he takes a general observation personally...
          Shouldn't have used the word sincere. There's no way to know if these loving son's are full of it. I personally believe there are many Zatopeks in the world. It doesnt matter at all if he is objective . It only matters if what he wrote is true and thats why he said speak for yourself.
          phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
            I think the many guys with so-so dads are not posting . The few who posted in this thread are most likely very sincere.
            That is exactly what zz could not comprehend. Anyone, like squackee, who did not have fond memories, simply chose not to post a story.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              I think the many guys with so-so dads are not posting . The few who posted in this thread are most likely very sincere.
              That is exactly what zz could not comprehend. Anyone, like squackee, who did not have fond memories, simply chose not to post a story.
              I could have posted all sorts of adjectives about my father that are far from complimentary but CHOOSE instead to remember that he loved me and did the best he could.
              The point of this thread was to remember your father-I doubt many would want to be disloyal here and post the bad stuff too. This is a public board and as we have seen there are a few very insensitive clods ((I won't use the D word on this thread) :wink: out there.

Why would you post on a thread like this?-if you don't like the mush then don't read it. :twisted:

Comment

Re: Your Dad

Originally posted by Zat0pek
                I respect and admire my father more than any man I have ever known.
                If my son ever says anything even remotely close to that it would be the greatest day of my life. :cry:
                Squackee - I was sorry to read your post as well. But from your posts on this board, knowing you a bit from them, I have a feeling your son will say that to you someday.

Comment

Originally posted by zzbottom
                  I'm speaking a truth which is ostensibly beyond your capacity to comprehend based on your defensive response...
                  zzbottom - don't know you on this board, but that is an incredibly rude post to make. Zat0pek just lost his Dad, for chrissakes, and one he obviously loved and admired a great deal. Reading his eulogy, I started crying, and it wasn't even my Dad and I never met him. If you feel that way - but keep it to yourself, and have some respect for other people's feelings.

And if you don't want to do that, go away, and if GH should ever ban anybody from this board, it should be you for that post!

Comment

Re: Your Dad

Originally posted by bambam
                    Originally posted by Zat0pek
                    I respect and admire my father more than any man I have ever known.
                    If my son ever says anything even remotely close to that it would be the greatest day of my life. :cry:
                    Squackee - I was sorry to read your post as well. But from your posts on this board, knowing you a bit from them, I have a feeling your son will say that to you someday.
                    Thanx Bam.
                    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      zz---too little, too late. Please enjoy a week away from the Boards while you contemplate the need to cease & desist ad hominem attacks on your fellow posters.
                      Good for you, Garry. Hadn't seen that you did that when I responded below.

Comment

ZZ's point was clear to me. He was obviously making a comment akin to Keillor's Lake Wobegon, where all the children are above average. However, I guess some fragile egos or people incapable of understanding his point took exception, and then the moderator apparently wanted to protect the less discerning from the truth. But it looks like the truth set you free, ZZ. It's not like it's punishment to be told you cannot interact with your inferiors.

Comment

I'll tell a few more stories about my Dad, who I did really love, but to temper the tone of this a bit, I will point out that later in his life he became an alcoholic and really had some problems as a result.

I started 1st grade kinda young - I was only 5 years old, and I was the smallest kid in class. In January a new kid moved in to that small town and I did not know him previously. He was the biggest kid in class and a bully, named Big Bill - I was little Bill. And he spent the whole spring semester beating me up regularly. My father confronted his father and him but nothing came of it. So Dad took matters into his own hands - and the right way. He called Uncle Ed - Ed Watson - his uncle, who had been a professional boxer. Ed came out the summer between 1st and 2nd grade, and spent all summer teaching me how to box. I also went to the YMCA and took boxing lessons. On the 1st day of second grade, Big Bill came over to me at recess and started pushing me around again, and I decked him with a couple punches. He never touched me again, nobody did in that town, and that was the last fight I was ever in.

When I got of college, I got a job working for the winter at a golf course in Vero Beach, Florida. I was leaving in mid-November for the job and I had no money - as in zero. Mom and Dad said they would give me some money to get me started and we were not wealthy - not poor, but not rich. Dad was a comptroller, not an accountant - he never graduated from high school, but very good with #s and he could calculate their budget very precisely. They gave me the check and I got in the car and starting driving to Florida. I opened the envelope that night and looked at it and really started crying. It was for $672.81. That was everything they had to give me. And I knew that. And I knew Dad had figured out exactly what they had and what they could afford and he and Mom gave me everything they could afford. If they could have afforded $672.82, I have no doubt that that is what the check would have been written for.

Comment

Originally posted by paddysiam
                            ZZ's point was clear to me. He was obviously making a comment akin to Keillor's Lake Wobegon, where all the children are above average. However, I guess some fragile egos or people incapable of understanding his point took exception, and then the moderator apparently wanted to protect the less discerning from the truth. But it looks like the truth set you free, ZZ. It's not like it's punishment to be told you cannot interact with your inferiors.
                            Paddy, that is not the point. It is a matter of being sensitive to people's feelings. Maybe you feel that is not important because the board has you removed from people in a personal way. There are a lot of things that are true, and they may set you free, but you shouldn't always say them. And if you want to build yourself up by calling us less discerning so be it. You should join ZZ in a vacation.

Comment

I guess some fragile egos or people incapable of understanding his point took exception, . . . But it looks like the truth set you free, ZZ. It's not like it's punishment to be told you cannot interact with your inferiors.
                              Wow - paddy, you don't post often, but when you do, they are pearls of wisdom. From one of your previous 20 posts:

I am not included in the category of the know-nothings who hold forth, and unfortunately they know not who they are, by definition, which logic dictates could include me, but I assure you, if for no other reason than the first few clauses of this sentence, I am precluded from admission into the club of know-nothings who hold forth here.
                              We know-nothings are indeed blessed by your presence . . . if we were only astute enough to recognize your sagacity! :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                                Paddy, that is not the point. It is a matter of being sensitive to people's feelings. You should join ZZ in a vacation.

Apparently, the ban doesn't apply to zz's IP address.
                                There are no strings on me

Comment

Working...
                                X