Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Berzerkistani Olympic team

If you're not a regular comics reader, you might want to keep up with the Doonesbury comic strip this week. Trudeau's current storyline: the fictional third-world hellhole of Berzerkistan is trying to build a competitive Olympic team, so they're making citizenship offers to all of the U.S. athletes who finished fourth at the Olympic trials.
    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Sounds like it would be a fun read! A lot of those 4th place finishers would be grabbing medals, by the way!
    You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

Wouldn't work in most cases. If the athletes in question competed for the US in prior championship events, they wouldn't be eligible for representing Berzerkistan 8-)
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

If I had nothing else to do today, I'd look at each of the 4th place finishers one by one and see how many could compete for Berzerkistan. Alas, I do have better things to do.

But I do have time to note that Berzerkistan is not a member of the IOC or the IAAF. Now that's ok--this is fiction, right? But as long as you're letting non-IOC members have an Olympic team, you might as well ignore the rules that would apply if Berzerkistan were real. It's not real, so the normal rules shouldn't apply.

Comment

Did anyone notice that the (presumed) track guy complained he did not make the US team because his coach had him run the wrong leg ? What sense does that make !?

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
            Did anyone notice that the (presumed) track guy complained he did not make the US team because his coach had him run the wrong leg ? What sense does that make !?
            I should have known the track geeks on this board would nitpick over the accuracy. :roll:

Bear in mind, it's a FICTIONAL COMIC STRIP written by a non-track nut aimed at people who don't know anything about track other than what they see on NBC every four years.

I'm guessing if he had made an error regarding beach volleyball rules, it would have gone right past 99 percent of us.

Comment

Originally posted by trackstar
              Originally posted by dukehjsteve
              I should have known the track geeks on this board would nitpick over the accuracy. :roll:

Bear in mind, it's a FICTIONAL COMIC STRIP written by a non-track nut aimed at people who don't know anything about track other than what they see on NBC every four years.

I'm guessing if he had made an error regarding beach volleyball rules, it would have gone right past 99 percent of us.

Thank you for the compliment... I LOVE being a "track geek" ! Don't we all ??!!

Comment

I should have known the track geeks on this board would nitpick over the accuracy. :roll: Bear in mind, it's a FICTIONAL COMIC STRIP written by a non-track nut aimed at people who don't know anything about track other than what they see on NBC every four years.
                That's exactly what I was thinking after I read the they-can't-be-on-someone-esle's-team-after-they've-been-on-ours comment. Of course they can; it's a comic strip!!!

Comment

I loved today's strip - I get it on Yahoo. You know what? I've heard every single one of those excuses uttered before by one athlete or another! :lol:

Comment

Regrettably, my local rag dropped Doonesbury years ago over a politically offensive strip.
                    I love the strip and read it when I can find it. Even though Gary Trudeau and I are about 180 degrees apart politically, I can laugh at/with both sides of an argument.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                      Regrettably, my local rag dropped Doonesbury years ago over a politically offensive strip.
                      Let me guess: The Daily Oklahoman? Man, don't get me started on those guys. (In fact, I can't get started, since gh frowns on political discussions here.)

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
                        I love the strip and read it when I can find it.
                        You can find it every day at http://www.gocomics.com/doonesbury/

Better yet, you can get a free e-mail of the daily strip by clicking on "signup for free" in the upper right corner of that page. (gocomics.com does that with lots of comic strips--there's a menu somewhere on their site).

Comment

Thanks, guys, now I can get my Doonesbury fix every day.

Comment

There are rules other than "hot chicks in skimpy outfits jump up and down for an hour"? Who knew.

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
                              I loved today's strip - I get it on Yahoo. You know what? I've heard every single one of those excuses uttered before by one athlete or another! :lol:
                              I love D's subtle parody. Did we all get the presumed gymnast claiming having "boobs" = ageism? Any chance GT purposely got the presumed track guy (or swimmer!) saying something ridiculously outside the proper technique box...?

Comment

Working...
                              X