• Show
Clear All

• NBC Olympics crew

Alas, mostly the same ol' same ol' names:

• Tom Hammond, Play-by-play
    • Lewis Johnson, Analyst
    • Carol Lewis, Analyst
    • Dwight Stones, Analyst
    • Ato Boldon, Analyst (misspelled "Boldin" in NBC's press release)
    • Craig Masback, Analyst
    • Ed Eyestone, Analyst
    • Bob Neumeier, Reporter

Actually makes me glad that I'm going to the thing...

is it really 'play by play'

Comment

Originally posted by no one
      is it really 'play by play'
      Is there any 'morality' involved?

Comment

More from the NBC press release:

"Tom Hammond, who has won acclaim for his memorable calls at the last four Summer Olympics, will once again call track & field. Dwight Stones, Carol Lewis and Lewis Johnson return as analysts. New analysts include Ato Boldon and Ed Eyestone. Bob Neumeier returns for his second Olympics as a reporter and Craig Masback, who worked as a track & field commentator for NBC in Barcelona in 1992 and Atlanta in 1996, returns to provide analysis on the men's marathon."

I would never have thought of using "Tom Hammond" and "memorable" in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by Al in NYC
          I would never have thought of using "Tom Hammond" and "memorable" in the same sentence.
          If they say it enough viewers will believe it.

Comment

[quote=I would never have thought of using "Tom Hammond" and "memorable" in the same sentence.[/quote]

If we were mediocre, he'd be forgettable. I still remember being sick with the chicken pox as a kid.

Comment

More from the NBC press release: New analysts include Ato Boldon and Ed Eyestone.

Bolden was fun to hear a few broadcasts back. Eyestone? Broadcasting must be his latest career attempt. Wonder if this means the powers that be at BYU are fed up with mediocrity and have given him the message?

Comment

I don't think that people give Lewis Johnson enough credit. He has done a good job through the years and can relate well to the middle distances based upon his own experiences. And Ato Bolden has been pretty good, too. If they would only let Dwight Stones have enough time to cover the field events in depth instead of those quick "updates" during the track events...

Comment

More from the NBC press release:

"Tom Hammond, who has won acclaim for his memorable calls at the last four Summer Olympics, will once again call track & field. Dwight Stones, Carol Lewis and Lewis Johnson return as analysts. New analysts include Ato Boldon and Ed Eyestone. Bob Neumeier returns for his second Olympics as a reporter and Craig Masback, who worked as a track & field commentator for NBC in Barcelona in 1992 and Atlanta in 1996, returns to provide analysis on the men's marathon."

I understand having Eyestone there, and I understand having Masback there. But if you have both, why would you use Masback instead of Eyestone for either marathon, let alone the men's marathon?!

Comment

Originally posted by Brian
                    More from the NBC press release: New analysts include Ato Boldon and Ed Eyestone.

Bolden was fun to hear a few broadcasts back. Eyestone? Broadcasting must be his latest career attempt. Wonder if this means the powers that be at BYU are fed up with mediocrity and have given him the message?
                    Really? NCAA team finishes of 23rd, 12th, 16th, 19th, 5th, 13th, 11th, and 22nd, and NCAA champs in XC (Rohatinsky) and the 3000SC (McAdams) qualify as "mediocrity"?

Comment

Nobody is perfect but Hammond and Johnson have been solid over the years, and Stones is the most knowledgable field event analyst we are ever going to get. I just wish they could develop a women analyst other than Carol Lewis and I do not care for Neumeier very much on the post-race interviews. Ato is a great addition and it will be interesting to hear Craig Masback again and how Eyestone does.

Comment

Idea: Since I also hate post-race interviews (no matter who's doing them) why not take a page from the big mainstream sports? Instead of interviewing on the track, which would annoy me if I'm a gold medalist trying to enjoy the moment, why not have interviews or brief press conferences later?

Comment

Originally posted by Aiden
                          why not have interviews or brief press conferences later?
                          Maybe the idea is too radical? :?

Comment

• Dwight Stones, Analyst
                            • Ato Boldon, Analyst (misspelled "Boldin" in NBC's press release)
                            • Craig Masback, Analyst
                            • Ed Eyestone, Analyst

these are the only competent people in that group...

the others are marginal at best....

Comment

Originally posted by az2004
                              the others are marginal at best....
                              It could be worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X