X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Email Style

I just received this email:

"OH!!! Certainly! Hope you’re having a BLAST!"

from a 30ish female coworker. I (male) would never send an email like that. What I mean by that is all of the !'s and caps. Would any of you males ever send one like that?

Is there a missing link or was it deleted?

Comment

Re: Email Style

It depends. If informal and to a friend, yes. Written language is definitely changing due to computers. Obviously texting is an extreme example but the above example is showing more emotion than if written as recommeded by strunk. I see it as representing an extra layer of information and don't find it that grating in an informal setting.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
        It depends. If informal and to a friend, yes. Written language is definitely changing due to computers. Obviously texting is an extreme example but the above example is showing more emotion than if written as recommeded by strunk. I see it as representing an extra layer of information and don't find it that grating in an informal setting.
        I didn't find it grating at all. It was just an observation of one difference between the sexes. My wife (50ish) told me that she sends message like that all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by maggot
          Originally posted by Daisy
          I didn't find it grating at all. It was just an observation of one difference between the sexes. My wife (50ish) told me that she sends message like that all the time.
          I would find it grating in a more formal setting. It may well be a difference between older men and women but I doubt it is for teens.

Comment

Originally posted by maggot
            I just received this email:
            "OH!!! Certainly! Hope you’re having a BLAST!"
            from a 30ish female coworker. I (male) would never send an email like that. What I mean by that is all of the !'s and caps. Would any of you males ever send one like that?
            Well, YES, I WOULD!!!! (and I do)
            E-mail (and posts on message boards) are too impersonal and 'boring' for my standards. I am way to upbeat and enthusiastic about others (and life in general) to post the above with something like this (which I see all the time):

"My response is in the affirmative, and I am pleased that you are enjoying your stay there. "

Dang it - seize the freakin' day! Would it kill you to appear as though you REALLY appreciated the note and genuinely LIKE the other person??!!
            :wink:

Your pal,

Doug Logan

Comment

Interestingly, I have noticed the same phenomenom again and again over
              the last few weeks. Women, on average, use much more exclamation
              marks, smileys, ``lol''s, capitalized words, etc.---often to the point
              where it becomes annoying to me. About two weeks ago, I read a message
              on another message board which contained (guesstimate) twenty
              sentence---and twenty times ``lol''.

My hypothesis is that this is due to the more emotionally driven
              communication style that women have (compared to men): They try to
              bring over their emotions by using these means, where the average man
              would focus on thoughts or use just words for emotional content.

I would be genuinely interested in hearing the women's take on this
              hypothesis.

As for myself, I tend to be very restrictive, possibly even
              underusing these means. (Instead, I focus on confusing people with
              over-complicated and sometimes incorrect grammar.)

Comment

I am no expert on email styles and gender nor do I receive work related emails.

I do read a few forums that are frequented by mostly females and there is a huge difference in how women express themselves as compared to men and what they are willing to share with the world!

Wome are very sensitive to the wording of something. I have seen plenty of fights and hurt feelings result from the misunderstanding of a single word. Women need to know exactly what the person meant; men seems to let it just roll off ther backs.

I think you are right that women, in general, like to express the emotion that goes along with their response to things they write.

And then there is marlow. :roll: :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                  I am a rock . . . I am an island . . .

Comment

Wome are very sensitive to the wording of something. I have seen plenty of fights and hurt feelings result from the misunderstanding of a single word. Women need to know exactly what the person meant; men seems to let it just roll off ther backs.
                    If only this were the case on these message boards...

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      ah, Marlow, you too are a piece of the continent, a part of the main...

Comment

Originally posted by Master Po

I don't know, I think he's only connected at low tide...

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                          Originally posted by Master Po

I don't know, I think he's only connected at low tide...
                          So, then, perhaps he's a peninsula, and only an island in his own mind -- perhaps when the tide goes out, he'll weigh in on these speculations.

:wink:

Comment

Or maybe an isthmus ? Gawd, that's hard to say with a peanut butter sandwich in your mouth. If the ocean levels rise even a little, I hope Marlow seeks higher ground, and always takes the high road.

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                              I hope Marlow seeks higher ground, and always takes the high road.
                              Wise words, amigo, I hope so too!
                              Speaking of tides, just got back from the beach where it's only 98 freakin' degrees! :shock: Florida in the summer . . . like Hades, only hotter.

Comment

Working...
                              X