Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Redeem Team

Ok, I need a reality check... during that first round game today, did I actually see a Chinese guy throw up a high runner from the right side of the lane and did Lebron James really just snatch it out of the air with both hands?!?

Re: Redeem Team

Originally posted by jhc68
    Ok, I need a reality check... during that first round game today, did I actually see a Chinese guy throw up a high runner from the right side of the lane and did Lebron James really just snatch it out of the air with both hands?!?
    That was the SportsCenter moment of the game for me. It really looked like an NBA team playing a HS team out there at times. Fast break dunks everywhere.

Comment

The game itself was actually more competitive than the score reflects. At one point it was tied at 29. The Chinese were shooting lights out from 3 point range and the USA team was cold. But as the game wore on, the Chinese got tired. A team with more depth would have given the USA a torrid time.

Comment

Kamikaze7 is right, most of the first half was a good contest. I think China's biggest problem (not that they should have ever had too much of a chance against this all-star team) was just lack of depth. The US has amazing talent off of the bench while China's best players get tired and have to put in more minutes.

Of course, take away all of those weird international rules and games become even more extreme blow-outs.

Comment

On the women's side, the U.S. gals just humiliated their Chinese hostesses. They should have used the Little League mercy rule in the 2nd quarter.

Comment

Originally posted by richxx87
            On the women's side, the U.S. gals just humiliated their Chinese hostesses. They should have used the Little League mercy rule in the 2nd quarter.
            There's a question for its own thread, maybe: is it more decent and honorable for the dominating team to continue to play up to their standards rather than easing up on the lesser team? WHich is more humiliating, losing by a big margin, or losing by a lesser margin--when the better teams backs off?

I think I'd rather take my deserved lumps in full measure than get a "mercy" gift.

Comment

Originally posted by jamese1045
              Originally posted by richxx87
              There's a question for its own thread, maybe: is it more decent and honorable for the dominating team to continue to play up to their standards rather than easing up on the lesser team? WHich is more humiliating, losing by a big margin, or losing by a lesser margin--when the better teams backs off?

I think I'd rather take my deserved lumps in full measure than get a "mercy" gift.
              I think that you are supposed to put 2nd/3rd string on the court. The score--in theory at least--doesn't get run up as much and bench players get more minutes. Also, nobody has to give less than a full effort.

If the scrubs are embarassing the home team too much, what is wrong with the losing team just resigning mid-game? It works well in chess.

Comment

is it more decent and honorable for the dominating team to continue to play up to their standards rather than easing up on the lesser team?
                To me it's an insult to do the mercy thing. If you agree to line up against another team, you must take your lumps.
                You there, on the motorbike! Sell me one of your melons!

Comment

In this context there are no scrubs, just fresh legs that can run the score up even more. In lesser circumstances, the winning team should, other than putting all the non-starters in, never do anything to lower the standard of play. Fortunately I've never been on the end of many big shellackings, but when it happened, it infuriated me that the other team would 'play down' to our level. When I was in position to blow a game out, I always told the reserves that were in the game to play their best, but to focus on improving team execution (ooo - unfortunate alternate meaning), more than the easy score.

Comment

Originally posted by scottmitchell74
                    is it more decent and honorable for the dominating team to continue to play up to their standards rather than easing up on the lesser team?
                    To me it's an insult to do the mercy thing. If you agree to line up against another team, you must take your lumps.
                    Well, there was the spread to consider :-)

Comment

Originally posted by jamese1045
                      Amen. I'd much rather get my ass kicked thoroughly by an honest effort, than to have someone dink around with me only to turn it on and 'squeak one out.' I'll take the beating.

Comment

Working...
                      X