Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should everyone know how to do?

I won't get into the long-winded origin of this thread idea, but I recently convinced someone to let me teach them to drive the only car available to them - a stick shift. It was quite the battle, and they finally relented.

So I ask, what is something everyone should know how to do? I pose that everyone should learn to drive a stick.

Read.
    https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

Originally posted by guru
      Read.
      Accurately.

8-)
      Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Everyone should have some exposure to music appreciation, especially singing. Rapping is an art form, but it is not singing. Nor is too much of what passes for singing in pop music these days. The notion that "I cannot sing" is so ridiculously prevalent. Likewise, the notion that "I can sing, even though I'm tone deaf" is everywhere these days. If teachers were given the resources to teach vocal music properly, we might not have to suffer through those crazy auditions on American Idol.
        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Swim. You don't have to like it (I certainly don't), but you do have to learn. It can save your life. Nearly as important as reading.

Comment

CPR

Comment

We spend a week on this tidbit:

Everyone should know how to do a self-assessment of their own issues (we all have them).

Starting with Issue #1 - The rest of the world does not share your point of view (POV). Before you disagree with anyone on anything, fully understand their POV and why they hold it. Their opinion makes just as much sense from their POV as yours does from your POV, so decide exactly WHY it is that you wish to disagree with them. Just to be contentious? The answer is usually 'yes'.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow

Everyone should know how to do a self-assessment of their own issues (we all have them).

Starting with Issue #1 - The rest of the world does not share your point of view (POV). Before you disagree with anyone on anything, fully understand their POV and why they hold it. Their opinion makes just as much sense from their POV as yours does from your POV, so decide exactly WHY it is that you wish to disagree with them. Just to be contentious? The answer is usually 'yes'.
                I don't agree with this at all! You're stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                  Swim. You don't have to like it (I certainly don't), but you do have to learn. It can save your life. Nearly as important as reading.
                  Totally agree.

Comment

Everyone should learn basic probability and statistics. Much of the confusion, misunderstanding, erroneous logic, iniquity and just plain stupidity in society could be averted or overcome if people had a basic understanding of these topics. (It also makes sports more intelligible.)

Comment

1. Build a fire
                      2. Find clean water
                      3. Fish
                      4. Create shelter
                      5. Stick it to The Man

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                        5. Stick it to The Man
                        But you are the man.

Comment

Use the "Internets" :wink:

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                            5. Stick it to The Man
                            But you are the man.
                            Oh....yeah....wait a minute...

Comment

I agree with regard to real life. However, if applied to these boards, things would
                              be dull indeed.

Comment

Working...
                              X