Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About Lie Detectors... [split]

They should start introducing lie detector tests to doping...

According to media reports they did and Marion passed every one.

Comment

Originally posted by Speedster
      According to media reports they did and Marion passed every one.
      When has that ever been said ?

I thought at the time she went on record saying she would TAKE a lie detector test but I don't remember any record of that ever happening other than her lawyers saying she had- but then they aren't going to say much else, are they ?

Comment

Seeing that courts do not allow lie detector tests as evidence, and that
        people can be trained to fool them, I see more harm than good resulting
        from their use. (Although sufficiently low-level checks could be beyond
        human deception.)

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
          Seeing that courts do not allow lie detector tests as evidence, and that
          people can be trained to fool them, I see more harm than good resulting
          from their use. (Although sufficiently low-level checks could be beyond
          human deception.)
          They allow them as evidence in civil cases in certain states if both parties agree to them. Search Marion Jones+lie detector in the forums for ad naseum discussion on that topic.

Comment

http://bobpark.physics.umd.edu/WN03/wn041803.html

1. POLYGRAPH: DOE DECIDES TO SIMPLY REISSUE ITS OLD POLICY.
            The National Academy of Sciences completed its review of scientific evidence on the polygraph (WN 15 Dec 00). The NAS report, "The Polygraph and Lie Detection" (NAS Press, 2003), found polygraph tests to be unacceptable for DOE employee security screening because of the high rate of false positives and susceptibility to countermeasures. Congress instructed the Department of Energy to reevaluate its policies on the use of the polygraph in light of the NAS report. DOE carefully reevaluated its policies and reissued them without change, arguing that a high rate of false positives must mean the threshold for detecting lies is very low. Therefore, the test must also nab a lot of true positives. Since that's the goal, the DOE position seems to be that the polygraph tests are working fine and false positives are just unavoidable collateral damage. But there is still a countermeasures problem: anyone can be trained to fool the polygraph in just five minutes. WN therefore recommends replacing the polygraph with a coin toss. If a little collateral damage is not a problem, coins will catch fully half of all spies, a vast improvement over the polygraph, which has never caught even one. Moreover, coins are notoriously difficult to train, making them impervious to countermeasures.

Comment

One ray of hope might emanate from the likelihood that lie detection technology will advance, along with gene doping, et cetera.

"There's an incredible hunger to have some test that separates truth from deception," said Harvard University Provost Steven Hyman, professor of neurobiology at Harvard Medical School. He helped moderate "Is There Science Underlying Truth Detection?" a Feb. 2 symposium at the American Academy of Arts and Sciences, co-sponsored by Harvard and the McGovern Institute for Brain Research at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). It drew a crowd of about 200."

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/200 ... lying.html

"I not only failed to fool the invisible inquisitor, I managed to incriminate myself without even opening my mouth."

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.01/lying_pr.html
              Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Working...
              X