IOC's Rogge on Joey Cheek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IOC's Rogge on Joey Cheek

In a late-night interview by Bob Costas with Jacques Rogge, Costas asked him why the IOC didn't stand up and loudly protest that Joey Cheek, "model Olympic medalist," was not given a visa to enter China. Rogge said that the IOC did, through diplomatic channels, protest this. But Rogge added that the Cuban national baseball team was denied entry into the United States, also. He said that the IOC also protested this, but that they have to abide by the laws of the host countries.

Point well made IMO. Not much you can say once he points out the hypocricy of the United States government.

Re: IOC's Rogge on Joey Cheek

Originally posted by BillVol
    In a late-night interview by Bob Costas with Jacques Rogge, Costas asked him why the IOC didn't stand up and loudly protest that Joey Cheek, "model Olympic medalist," was not given a visa to enter China. Rogge said that the IOC did, through diplomatic channels, protest this. But Rogge added that the Cuban national baseball team was denied entry into the United States, also. He said that the IOC also protested this, but that they have to abide by the laws of the host countries.

Point well made IMO. Not much you can say once he points out the hypocricy of the United States government.
    In the first part of the interview, concerning the Chinese gymnast age issues, Costas should have asked about the Chinese gymnast from the 2000 team who admitted to being underage during those games. Chinese women won team bronze, USA finished 4th (and didn't win individual medals). If Pettigrew admits to cheating and loses team gold, shouldn't the Chinese gymnasts also?

Comment

Except for the the fact that he was WRONG about the U.S. denying the Cuban baseball team visas or perhaps he knew the truth and just lied. The U.S. State Department initially denied the visas because the Cuban team was going to be compensated for its appearance in the World Baseball Classic. That would have been a violation of the U.S. embargo on Cuba. Eventually Cuba agreed to play without compensation and they were granted the visas. Costas did not challenge Rogge on this. Why would he? He works for the Nothing But Castro network.

Comment

Boy, I wish I had an interview with those two A Holes. I would be Kicking their cheeks.

Comment

Originally posted by HenryGomez

Except for the the fact that he was WRONG about the U.S. denying the Cuban baseball team visas or perhaps he knew the truth and just lied. The U.S. State Department initially denied the visas because the Cuban team was going to be compensated for its appearance in the World Baseball Classic. That would have been a violation of the U.S. embargo on Cuba. Eventually Cuba agreed to play without compensation and they were granted the visas. Costas did not challenge Rogge on this. Why would he? He works for the Nothing But Castro network.
          Just got to thinking about that, Henry. I didn't know the specifics, but I knew that the Cuban team was eventually allowed into the US. You're right: Costas should have challenged him on this. I'm surprised he didn't. He let us down. Are you a Cuban American BTW?

Comment

Yes I'm a Cuban-American and I blog extensively about Cuba. I wanted to comment on this post when I saw it and registered for the board but my approval didn't come until today. Better late than never.

Comment

Yes I'm a Cuban-American and I blog extensively about Cuba. I wanted to comment on this post when I saw it and registered for the board but my approval didn't come until today. Better late than never.
              But Henry, weren't the other teams compensated? And if so, we're still hypocrites. Furthermore, what if the Chinese had relented on granting Joey Cheeks a VISA with the restrictions that he would only be allowed to go to the Olympic venues and his hotel, and that any deviation from this would result in immediate deportation? Would China's critics have found that acceptable?

Comment

Could you link to your blog? I'm sure it's not a for-profit enterprise, so I'm sure the eds here wouldn't mind.

I have always admired Cuba and the Cuban people. How admirable that the greatest Cuban of them all, Jose Marti, was a small, gentle man, who proved once and for all that the pen is indeed mighter than the sword.

Glad to have you on board, Henry. I wonder how Cuban-Americans feel about the great Cuban athletes who come from the current Cuba. Are you proud of them anyhow?

Comment

Working...
                X