Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sochi is about 30 km from Georgia(Abkhazia)

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sochi is about 30 km from Georgia(Abkhazia)

I think the 2014 winter Olympics in Sochi might be a uniter, not a divider, but I'm sure there are people that will disagree.

Who knows who will be aligned who in six years? My crystal ball is all clouded up.

Comment

If Sochi (never heard of it before, should pay more attention) by some quirk
      of war belongs to another country in 2014, would it still have the Olympics?

Comment

Originally posted by imaginative
        Sochi is a part of Russia. There is no chance of this changing.
        "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
        by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

How are you Swedish, and haven:t heard of Sochi?

Comment

Looks like Sochi now is about 250 km (about 160 miles) from Georgia?

http://encarta.msn.com/map_701509822/abkhazia.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3261059.stm

http://pulitzercenter.typepad.com/untol ... ecogn.html

Comment

Originally posted by observer2
              Indeed, Russia has "freed" Abkhazia from Georgia, which was taken by a decree from Stalin, who took a fancy to the place.

Comment

Was not Stalin Georgian himself?

Comment

Stalin was born in Georgia, yes. But 2008 nobody in Russia refers to Stalin.

Comment

Yes, ironic isn't it? Uncle Joe takes it for Georgia, and the new Russia decides Georgia can't have it.

Comment

I've been there. They call it "the Miami Beach of Russia." I'm sorry, there are no black rocks on the beaches in Miami, and the women in Miami aren't strong plow horses like they are in Russia. Sochi is typical of all of Russia - grey, bleak and depressing.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince
                        Yes, ironic isn't it? Uncle Joe takes it for Georgia, and the new Russia decides Georgia can't have it.
                        Aha! I misunderstood you to mean that the ``freeing'' from Georgia
                        occured on Stalin's decree, which seemed a bit contrary to Stalin
                        being Georgian. Now, I get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince
                          Aha! I misunderstood you to mean that the ``freeing'' from Georgia
                          occured on Stalin's decree, which seemed a bit contrary to Stalin
                          being Georgian. Now, I get it.
                          Under the Soviet Union, it mattered very little, which state did some territories belong to. Stalin attached Crimea to Ukraine, Transdniester to Moldavia and so on. Now, after the break-up, it matters a lot. Don't expect the territorial disputes all over the post-soviet republics to stop for decades. Some will be diplomatic, some military. Armenia-Azerbaijan is a powder keg, so are some others.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                          X