Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I bet you didn't know C.K. Yang was Japanese!

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cacique
    replied
    not really. the taiwanese aborigines come from indonesia or phillipines.

Leave a comment:

• Novitiate
    replied
    "Yang was a member of the Amis tribe of Taiwanese aborigines." Hence, linguistically and genetically closer to Cathy Freeman than the average mainland Chinese, let alone Japanese.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yang_Chuan-kwang

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwanese_aborigines

Leave a comment:

• Slowrunner
    replied
    Re: I bet you didn't know C.K. Yang was Japanese!

Originally posted by KDFINE
    I'm only posting this now because I tried to stay away from the message boards in order not to find stuff out before they were televised. I had the VCR taping during the night, and I'm not sure what was never shown.
    Having said that, in mentioning Clay's friendship with Sebrele, Jim Lampley compared it to that of Rafer Johnson and C.K. Yang. He said C.K. was from Japan. I don't know if he ever bothered to correct himself. Was it ignorance, a slip, or was he afraid he'd offend the Chinese by mentioning Taiwan? (Hey I'm not being facetious, I just read that the American Standard name was covered up on the urinals!.)
    Jim Lampley, who usually is quite professional and seems to have a genuine passion for the Olympics (having covered 14 of them!) has made a few mistakes like this that surprised me.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I don't know about CK Yang but many Koreans were forced to compete for Japan in the 30s and 40s.

Leave a comment:

• KDFINE
    started a topic I bet you didn't know C.K. Yang was Japanese!

I bet you didn't know C.K. Yang was Japanese!

I'm only posting this now because I tried to stay away from the message boards in order not to find stuff out before they were televised. I had the VCR taping during the night, and I'm not sure what was never shown.
    Having said that, in mentioning Clay's friendship with Sebrele, Jim Lampley compared it to that of Rafer Johnson and C.K. Yang. He said C.K. was from Japan. I don't know if he ever bothered to correct himself. Was it ignorance, a slip, or was he afraid he'd offend the Chinese by mentioning Taiwan? (Hey I'm not being facetious, I just read that the American Standard name was covered up on the urinals!.)
Working...
X